Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
The smoky mountains in that area might be my favorite part of the USA. (but I haven't been to all of it yet) Keep the pictures coming, and continue having a blast!

Will do, and will do!
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Wednesday we drove through the park again, but since it is still early spring, most of the roads and things to see were still closed. We then unfortunately had to deal with the messes that are Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. The positives: a couple cool things to take pictures of, and the Ole Smoky Moonshine distillery let's you taste all 13... Also finding coozies with buses and vintage Coleman gear on them in the Coleman outlet. The negatives: you have to be in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. Jesus what an insanely ridiculous nightmare

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After getting all shined up, it was on the road again to Chestnut Hill, TN, to the Bush's baked beans factory headquarters and Bean museum

It was then in into Virginia where we found another incredible camp site at Cumberland Gap National Park, and called it a night

TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

It's Thursday, it's cold, I'm in a mixture of TN, KY, and VA, let's see the Cumberland Gap!

Now let's drive to the first KFC, and experience the Col. Sanders Museum

Let's sit in there and realize that the majority of the distilleries on the Kentucky bourbon trail close at 3. So let's drive just a little farther, find a small brewery, and then a Mexican restaurant with 2 for 1 margaritas, drink a bit too much, and call it a night
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

It's Friday, it's raining, it's all of 35 degrees, we're in Kentucky, there's one sure fire thing that will warm you up...

(If you haven't done these tours, make sure you go to makers mark, you can buy an undipped bottle and dip it in the red wax yourself)

After a few distilleries, and more than a few samples, our insides were warm, so we braved the cold and continued heading North.

Quick stops in Louisville (the giant David is a couple blocks down from the giant bat, the amount of bats and balls jokes did not get old to me)

Then we powered forward in the cold and the rain into Indiana, where we found an Indianapolis Fuel hockey game to go to.

Turns out it was craft beer night at the hockey game, where the samples were plentiful.. We made friends with a couple of the brewery owners, were given more than a few extra "samples" and ended the night with a cooler full of growlers, hats, coozies, and all sorts of nonsense. We figured we should just drink it all, not drive, and go see them again in the morning to get our new growler filled before heading closer to home. So that's precisely what was done.
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Soooo piggybacking off the last post... we got on the road around noon. Oops. In our defense the breweries didn't open until 11, and we had to get the new growler filled for free!

We then blew home. 507 miles. And I do mean blew home. The ENTIRE day was spent in a wind advisory. And I do mean the entire day. Every single piece of every single road we were on in Indiana, all the way across Illinois, and halfway across Iowa. 20-60 mph winds. Of course all either headwinds, or from the side, never from the rear. It also rained the entire day, and the temperature maxed out around 30. But we made it in time for the girlfriend's dad's and nephew's joint birthdays.

For the record, this is located inside a fenced in, and secured parking lot at a Kraft foods factory. Psh nothing gets between us and a great picture, not even security guards and automated gates!

And now that we're home, it's snowing. We have gotten 4 inches so far.. Welcome home! When's the next one?!?!
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Valuable-ish road trip stats...

Total miles: 4,872

Average miles per gallon: 16. Best: 19.8, worst: 11

302.8 gallons of fuel

States visited: 12

Longest day: 559 miles. Shortest: 0

Ferries taken: 1

National parks, forests, etc. visited: it's late and I'm tired, but I believe 12?

Memories made, photos taken, foods eaten, and drinks drank: all of them
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Love it man.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Air and water belong outside, oil belongs inside, and the mailman's getting sick of us..

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

TweedLinn wrote:

Where did you find over-riders?!?
Did the attachment hardware come with it?
Are you putting on the front or the back?

I thought those things were relics of the past, only found in museums and in Aeromech's garage. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

Where did you find over-riders?!?
Did the attachment hardware come with it?
Are you putting on the front or the back?

I thought those things were relics of the past, only found in museums and in Aeromech's garage. Laughing

Those came from a member on here who had them fixed up, powder coated, then sold his bus and made me a great deal. They are in beautiful shape, came with the brackets, and are going on the front as soon as I get outside today Smile
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Very nice find! I'm envious. My '71 had them, and I always liked the look. And they came in handy once in college, when I was parallel parked and boxed in front and back. I pulled forward and touched the car in front, got out to make sure I had good contact, then pushed the car about 2 feet.

In retrospect, it could have been a disaster if the two bumpers hadn't meshed well. But I was younger and dumber back then. I'm still working on getting smarter, but not having any luck getting younger. Embarassed

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Very nice find! I'm envious. My '71 had them, and I always liked the look. And they came in handy once in college, when I was parallel parked and boxed in front and back. I pulled forward and touched the car in front, got out to make sure I had good contact, then pushed the car about 2 feet.

In retrospect, it could have been a disaster if the two bumpers hadn't meshed well. But I was younger and dumber back then. I'm still working on getting smarter, but not having any luck getting younger. Embarassed

Sounds like something I would do...Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
KentPS wrote:

Sounds like something I would do...Laughing

Haha me too. Except these are so nice I might thank them off first and just use the nose of the bus
gelos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

Hey! I have an early bay westy interior in my '75 bus. It was installed when I bought it but it's not really attached to anything. The most it had was two bolts in the arms in back into the deck lid which were then had sealant of some kind to glue them in (no nut or anything underneath).

How did you physically connect the seat to the bus? Do I just drill holes through the body where I need to and then put a bolt and nut on it?

Any general advice on drilling through the body?

Thanks!
TweedLinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My 76 Sportsmobile roadtrips, projects, vanagon interior+mor Reply with quote

gelos wrote:
Hey! I have an early bay westy interior in my '75 bus. It was installed when I bought it but it's not really attached to anything. The most it had was two bolts in the arms in back into the deck lid which were then had sealant of some kind to glue them in (no nut or anything underneath).

How did you physically connect the seat to the bus? Do I just drill holes through the body where I need to and then put a bolt and nut on it?

Any general advice on drilling through the body?

Thanks!

Hi there! For the seat I reused and modified and made brackets that would reach the original threaded mounting holes on the front side of the firewall. For the cabinet in the back, I drilled holes and installed rivnuts, they are amazing!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: