Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to forum. A few questions.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chillispud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Hi. I have been a viewer for long time but never posted. However seems there are some very knowledgeable people on here so thought would seek some advice. Number one. I have a reconditioned motor, just had it so done less than 50 km. . It has a small oil leak. Is this expected and are my expectations of a leak free engine unrealistic or should I not accepted it with oil leak.
Number 2, the van (1969 bay) smells of petrol, I have only just got the van back after a full restoration so haven’t tested it much but seems worse on full take and when cornering. Thinking breather. It’s had all new fuel lines, tank etc. however I noticed the breather on the fuel filler next is open to atmosphere so probably leaking and spilling behind the filler flap?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions.1969 Bay Reply with quote

Gooday!

We like to see pictures here because it tells a lot about your rebuilder, from what parts they use, etc. get some nice clear , welllit pictures of your engine bay,five or six.

No reason for a rebuild to leak oil. This can range from the trivial to engine-out again.
Chillispud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Don't know if this helps...

Pay attention to parts 23, 24 - A lot of time these hoses and tubes are found disconnected or with rotted rubber hose.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4196358#4196358
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chillispud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Thanks. Basically all new system. Doesn’t have the vapour risers in the air intakes though. Was wondering if a hose was missing between the pipe and hose in the Pic . Cheers.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Chillispud wrote:
Thanks. Basically all new system. Doesn’t have the vapour risers in the air intakes though. Was wondering if a hose was missing between the pipe and hose in the Pic . Cheers.

Yes, it appears you are missing a hose line there. But looking at the nipple on the body, I do not see enough pipe on it for a hose to slip over it, unless it is supposed to pass through the pipe, and not actually connect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

I think the pipe is just a drain to the ground, so yes the hose should go into it just a bit.

I think you need to understand that just because you got an engine rebuild it doesn't mean everything on the car or even the engine has been fixed. You likely need to spend weeks fixing little stuff as it crops up.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Well, it wasn't just an engine rebuild.

Chillispud wrote:
... the van (1969 bay) smells of petrol, I have only just got the van back after a full restoration ...

Seems like the usual deal. Paid for something, and didn't quite get what you paid for.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

better post the bears Smile
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Well, it wasn't just an engine rebuild.

Chillispud wrote:
... the van (1969 bay) smells of petrol, I have only just got the van back after a full restoration ...

Seems like the usual deal. Paid for something, and didn't quite get what you paid for.

A full restoration is a very big grey area, often with lots of smoke and mirrors. One person's full restoration might be $5000, while another's might be $60,000.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Yep!

In my book, a 'full restoration' means bone stock, perfect, as factory delivered.
Chillispud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

It was a full bare metal restoration. $50k ish. Anyway. Was hoping someone Had a pic off their bus showing how that breather should connect. Thanks
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Chillispud wrote:

The painted inlet on the left side may be where your tank is vented. I have never seen a vent on the filler neck like the one pictured in black. I would guess that that may just vent to the fill well and drain through the bottom hole to the ground? Here is a picture I found while researching my own venting issues of a 68 double cab vent, may be similar? Is your bus right hand drive? You could try and introduce some light air pressure through some of the vent openings/ filler neck and see where it blows out?

tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Chillispud wrote:
It was a full bare metal restoration. $50k ish. Anyway. Was hoping someone Had a pic off their bus showing how that breather should connect. Thanks

In that case - it should not leak oil or smell of petrol! Smaller things might be easier for you to sort yourself. But it is always worth letting the restorer know about oil leaks etc. If they're reputable they'll want a chance to fix it for you.

We are missing pictures of the the Bus itself!
Chillispud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback. the van will go in for a retune soon and already have raised rthe issues with restorer, howeve just wanted to see about the fuel smell in the short time as i am driving the van around and not overly keen on waiting to fix the smell. as requested a few pics of the van

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Chillispud wrote:

In that case - it should not leak oil or smell of petrol! Smaller things might be easier for you to sort yourself. But it is always worth letting the restorer know about oil leaks etc. If they're reputable they'll want a chance to fix it for you.

We are missing pictures of the the Bus itself!

Someone doing major body work may have little knowledge of the mechanical side, I would say that that is very common.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

It’s a six picture series of the engine, left to right and then two of the bottom that will tell us the tale.

New paint always looks good,it’s 12months later that tells that tale.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Morning gents. Your fuel leak, is it coming through the cap itself? I recently had to replace my seal in the cap as it was leaking on 1/2 a tank or more, and especially in turns and cornering.
Picked up the 70mm seal from Wolfsburg West, no more leaks. Being in my 68 double cab, I pulled the parcel panels off to validate that all that fuel smell was in fact just coming from the gas cap leak. Which completely surprised me.
All is well now.
Beautiful bus. I imagine it’s probably something small. Good luck

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
New paint always looks good,it’s 12months later that tells that tale.

You've got that right!

OP your newly rebuilt engine should not leak oil.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chillispud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New to forum. A few questions. Reply with quote

Thanks all. Will start with fuel cap and work back from there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: