Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shawn's 72 Squareback
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:06 am    Post subject: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hello from Los Angeles. Recently bought this '72 Squareback for $400. It was a project car that the PO gave up on. Apparently the engine hadn't run in over 5 years. Put fresh oil in it and a new battery. Started right up with starter fluid.

https://scontent-lax1-1.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-x...8834_n.mp4

I dont plan on keeping the original engine. I'm going to be talking to Chico Performance about building a bigger cc daily driver engine for it.

The top and rear apron are pretty bad. A rag top kit will take care of the top, but need to find a rear apron. I have a call into ISP West and the Pomona swap meet is tomorrow. Hopefully I find something. In the mean time, I'll be finishing up the tear down that the PO started and sending the body off to get media blasted.

Is the stock disc brakes safe/reliable enough for a bigger cc motor? Were they any good to begin with? Or should I be looking to upgrade those? I'm guessing I need to figure that out before deciding on what wheels to run.

I want short back seats. I read a thread on here that is probably best to cut down the stock seats. Is that correct? Or should I look for earlier seats at the swap meet tomorrow?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My stock disc/drum brakes stop good & will lock up all 4 wheels if necessary, so I don't see the need for better brakes. Chico will need your block,heads,tins,carburetors,fan etc to build you a 1776 cc etc daily driver. Place WTB (want to buy) ads for any/all Type 3 parts you need.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike!
NDAHAUS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as low back seats go. I went the easy route and bought '66 Bug seats. Over the winter I am going to cut out the '73 hump seat tracks and weld in the early style Bug rails. I have to patch my pans anyways so it will be perfect timing. You can try and source early type 3 low backs...but probably more pricey that way.
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good idea on the seats. Thanks
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NDAHAUS wrote:
As far as low back seats go. I went the easy route and bought '66 Bug seats. Over the winter I am going to cut out the '73 hump seat tracks and weld in the early style Bug rails. I have to patch my pans anyways so it will be perfect timing. You can try and source early type 3 low backs...but probably more pricey that way.

Since he's got a 72, it could have either 2 rail style seats (that interchange with the early seats), or it could 3 point seats. The easiest way is to actually cut the backs down, unless you search Europe for a set of low back 3 point seats.
I've cut down 3 sets of 2 rail seats already, and it's not hard to do. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent info. I did see a topic about that on here. I suppose I have some time to figure that bit out Smile

(I'm a girl)
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharmstr wrote:
Excellent info. I did see a topic about that on here. I suppose I have some time to figure that bit out Smile

(I'm a girl)

Being a girl isn't an issue. We're here to help each other out, as we're type 3 owners. Cool But rather it's whether you have 2 rail seat bases, or 3 point seat bases. I only say that, as there are no 3 point base low backs in the USA, unless someone brought them in. They were however available in Europe, as their safety laws were different from the USA (I've got a friend in the UK Wink ). But, you can cut the "hoop" out of the hi backs, and turn them into low backs. I did that on the set I put in my 71 Notch (2 rail seat bases). It's just a matter of cutting near the top edges, and adding a curved "straight" piece of tubing, to replace what you cut out. Then, you recover the seat back with the 65 and earlier style material (if TMI updated their catalog, ...if they didn't, then use the 64 and earlier). Mario are you guys listening, you need to fix that. Rolling Eyes
I think I posted a pic or 2 in my 71 Notch thread, that's in my signature of how I did mine. But, I used the 66-67 style covers, and it was a mistake.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
TMI Products
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharmstr wrote:
Then, you recover the seat back with the 65 and earlier style material (if TMI updated their catalog, ...if they didn't, then use the 64 and earlier). Mario are you guys listening, you need to fix that. Rolling Eyes
I wouldn't trust our catalog to level a table. There have been sooo many new parts added, if we printed a catalog this minute, it would be missing part numbers next week.

We are in the process of hiring a graphics artist to do catalogs. Im pretty sure I wont get any time with them for the next year. Rolling Eyes (do you hear my enthusiasm and what im facing)

But we do have a lot of "correct" part numbers that aren't listed. best thing to do is contact somebody here with a pic of what you are looking for.
VW Division Sales Manager
[email protected]

TMI Products
1493 Bentley Dr.
Corona Ca, 92879
1-800-624-7960
951-272-1584 FAX
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy some carburetor linkage etc to get it running. You could then try out the transmission,brakes etc at least around the parking lot. You'd be a lot more knowledgeable about what you have & what it needs before you tear it all apart. Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Paid a visit to Chico today. What a great guy. Dropped of my engine and ordered a 2017cc 130HP with a Sidewinder header/muffler, his Smallternator kit and a prostreet trans (4:12 .89 forth).

Need to get the body to the media blaster and start on refreshing the pan and suspension. I'm sure I'll find the time between school, working and the 4 other projects I got going on right now. LOL.

Going with 2-1/2" drop spindles, but still need to decide on which wheels I want to run before I order.

Need to find more pictures of the rag top kit (specifically with it closed) before I order that. Choosing a paint and interior color should probably happen before I order it as well Smile

Beyond the that, I havent settled on modifying much more. Mulling around not using a padded dash.

Last edited by sharmstr on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Hmmm. I guess there's no drop spindles for type 3s?
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

sharmstr wrote:
Hmmm. I guess there's no drop spindles for type 3s?

Contact Russell at Old Speed in Paramount, CA for a set.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Will do. Thank you!

Also found these: http://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/type-3-drop-spindles-drum-or-disc/
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

sharmstr wrote:
Will do. Thank you!

Also found these: http://www.vintagev-dubs.com/shop/type-3-drop-spindles-drum-or-disc/

Stick with Old Speed.

Read the feedback on Vintage V dubs:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=340510&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Made some progress over the last few days.

Drove over to Pier Side on Saturday and ordered a bunch of parts (rear disc kit, wheels, axle kits, bushings, bearings, etc...). After that got the body onto the wood dolly I built (stole the idea from another build here.)

Spent several hours Sunday pressure washing with simple green. Was able to remove most of the crud including the pan/body sealant and the tar paper from the pan. What a mess that was.

Yesterday I separated the rear sub from the pan. That took longer than expected since I didnt have my VW manual yet. (It arrived a few hours later. LOL).

The front will be removed within the next few days and I'll send the body and the pan off to be media blasted.

I paid a visit to Russell at Old Speed. Cool guy. I need to take him my spindles to be modified.

The only other few things I need to sort out are shocks and figure out what needs to be done with the front disc brakes. With those sorted, I should have everything figured out for the bottom of the car Smile
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

The reproduction dashes from Retrovan in South Africa look pretty good & are tough. Dieselgirl reupholstered her stock dash pad with imitation snakeskin? that looked pretty cool. Keep your 3 point Beetle style seats & just cut down the high backs into lowback seats with seatback release on the sides.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

sharmstr wrote:
Made some progress over the last few days.

Drove over to Pier Side on Saturday and ordered a bunch of parts (rear disc kit, wheels, axle kits, bushings, bearings, etc...).

The one thing you need to be aware of right now, is that since you're having your trans rebuilt/replaced, you need to KEEP your existing type 3 ONLY hockey stick (the shaft that attaches to the shift rod coupler at the front of the trans). I only say that, as otherwise you'll be back here asking us how come the trans won't shift correctly.

Mike, if you looked at the pan pics that were posted above, you'll see someone welded in some seat rails for aftermarket seats.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
sharmstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

Mike - Those do look nice. Not sure I'm going to go the padded dash route though.

Bob - Thanks for the heads up on the trans.

I have no idea what's going on with the seats and custom seat rails (?). Seats came with the car, but they were laying in the back Smile I'll have a closer look once the sun come up.
69 Notchback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Shawn's 72 Squareback Reply with quote

good work. Looks like you are moving right along on this project.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: