Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

I made arangements to go get the thing today and for the first time I got a really good look at it. This is a project that kinda of stalled with the PO. I took it in on trade for labor on another vehicle he was wanting to get finished up and driving soon.

After seeing all the after market parts that he purchased for it and the quality of the workmanship to this point Im getting really excited to play with it. It needs a little light body work and a fresh coat of yellow paint. at that time Im going to just drive it and tinker on it as time permits. Its not your stock model but I think it will serve my needs perfectly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Metal Twister on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
liken127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! lots of fun ahead!! Maybe we will cross paths some day.
hopping to be on the road by end of October with ours.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on using it a lot and I should be on the road about the same time as you. I will wave if I see ya! Laughing Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63ziggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great platform to finish personalization.

Looks solid ride and will be great when done.

congrats
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been sorting things out today on it. There are new repop floor pans in place to be installed so I will most likley start there and work my way up. Other than the floors there is no rust in the vehice at all which is a big plus. As mentined the PO has done a bunch of work to this car and what he did do was great quality so Im not that far off from actually getting it going.

Guess if ya seen one youve seen them all! Laughing

Last edited by Metal Twister on Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Great start for sure!! Lots of nice parts there already too.. Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember
imtb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great start.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Un like most of my projects that get dragged out of the field after 70 years this thing is almost ready to go! Im getting excited now. Now I need another 3 or 4 weeks to get mr customers truck finished up and gone so I can focus on the thing... Just having it here is a great motivator to get his work done. Laughing

Last edited by Metal Twister on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
lowsquare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good looking...keep the pics coming. How big is the body lift?
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowsquare wrote:
Good looking...keep the pics coming. How big is the body lift?

It looks to be 2.5" wide. Are there different widths? Thanks guys for the encouragement.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you will have a lot of fun with it. Looking great. I would like to find one that I could turn into a Dirt Buggy but the ones I have I just can't tear them up.
GB
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great start!

Body lifts are typically 3".

You do need to modify your steering. I can't see inside, but it appears to be the stock column. Not sure how it is mounted or routed through the firewall.

The issue is that 1" square tube spacer on the steering box. That is going to put a ton of leverage on the rag joint. Lengthening the shaft would be a far smarter choice.

Good news is it still has a stock Thing beam with adjusters welded in- it kept the outboard gussets in place. Lots of strength there.

Keep posting pics!
ThingOw181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and don't read too much into my body lift comment on my other post. A lot of that was execution on my part!
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bug in my avatar was one I lifted way back in the day. It had over sized tires on it as well and I had troubles with the crumple zone on the steering column. The expanded metal would stress crack right where it attached to the steering shaft below it. So I most likely will find a piece of tubing 1" longer than the crumple zone and weld that in. There is nothing more strange feeling than driving down the hwy and not have any steering. Might be something to inspect from time to time specially if you venture off road very often.
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

Well im back, I think? I had some life changing setbacks these past few years that were totally unexpected as well as very time and energy demanding. But I think im just about ready to focus in on the Thing once again and see if I can make it happen this go around.

Sometimes when you step back from something for awhile and come back to it it takes on a different twist. Its like you see it through different eyes. Last weekend i spent some time in the desert with a good friend who has a old school tube frame buggy with the typical 1776cc engine. It was so much fun playing in the mud hills and sand i decided i had better get busy once again on the Thing. In looking it over after some time in storage I realized there are some things that i need to address right off the top. First is the exhaust... Man that thing hangs down low and its not condusive to the places Im desiring to go. If i dont change it out im going to be leaving it on a good sized rock somewhere. Its a very nice like new aluminized exhaust, but just the wrong style for my liking. So with the body lift installed it gives me a lot of vertical room to move an exhaust.

Im thinking a competition buggy style exhaust might be in order but wondering just how much body will need to be removed to accomplish it? Any ideas for maximum clearance? I know this white car is a type 4 engine and he had to really open the back up to make it work... Which if that is the only option i have no problem going in that direction. Now the blue car cant run a deck lid but looks like he kept the hacking to a minimum.

Im liking the blue cars approach and thinking i could build a cage much like the white car while making the deck lid slide down behind the exhaust on to a couple guide pins. By doing so i could retain a some what original look. Thoughts?

It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

Looks like both cars have the engine set back to help the CV's with the long rear arms. Are you planning to keep the engine under the deck lid ? there are better cage designs than thoses.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

It's a play thing wrote:
Looks like both cars have the engine set back to help the CV's with the long rear arms. Are you planning to keep the engine under the deck lid ? there are better cage designs than thoses.

Short term im not going to change things up too much as id really like to get a feel for what the car is capable of in its present configuration. To be honest a type 4 might be in the far off future but not planning anything in that direction at the moment. I would like more ideas on engine cage designs if you have any pics? A full roll cage is in order and id like to tie everything together, or at least eventually tie everything together. lol These two are pretty much the standaed engine cage designs. Think the white car is more of a Off Road Race design and the blue a Sand car /Baja Bug look. Then there the nerf / bumper styles which seem to be derived from a cross from cars and different dirt track cars... Im anxious to see the better designs you know of.
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

just search google Off road Things and you will see a bunch of designs.

Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

It's a play thing wrote:
just search google Off road Things and you will see a bunch of designs.

Oh believe me ive been looking. I was just curious to see what the "better" design that you speak of looks like? Just hoping for another option. Thanks Rolling Eyes
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: New to Me 73 Project... On/Off Road Dual Sport Thingamajig Reply with quote

better might have been a poor choice of words on my part. On my off road Thing it was important to keep the rear deck lid and keep the tires under the fenders, sorry for the confusion. while still being off road worthy.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: