Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Do you have the rear handle on the inside of your door?

Rear handle?? Tell us more. Is it a Westy thing?
I installed a door release on the rear hatch, just so I could get out of the back.

Yes, it's a Westfalia thing, those OTW campers didn't quite reproduce all the little details that made the real deal so nice Razz
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142155&highlight=rear+handle
It's easily retrofitted to any bus. Wink

Wow.. I did not know that! My 'stupid' question is was that an additional door handle along with the one in the normal place? Why was it installed?

To avoid winding up and slamming the slider after that 3:00 AM pee excursion, you can sneak the door shut and pull the rear latch in without waking the other occupants as well as the rest of the campsite Wink

The link you provided Bus Daddy, the image shared by TCash of the rear handle looks identical to my bus. I don’t reallly know how one would effectively close the slider without this rear handle with cabinetry.

Yes it's hard to close the door without a slam if you don't have the rear handle, but that pushmepullyou front handle makes opening it in the dark much easier as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
KentPS wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
Do you have the rear handle on the inside of your door?

Rear handle?? Tell us more. Is it a Westy thing?
I installed a door release on the rear hatch, just so I could get out of the back.

Yes, it's a Westfalia thing, those OTW campers didn't quite reproduce all the little details that made the real deal so nice Razz
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=142155&highlight=rear+handle
It's easily retrofitted to any bus. Wink

So, for only $15, I can be as cool as a Westy owner??? I'm there!!! Laughing

(If we keep this up, we will be to 2million posts by xmas!)

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

To avoid winding up and slamming the slider after that 3:00 AM pee excursion, you can sneak the door shut and pull the rear latch in without waking the other occupants as well as the rest of the campsite Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You forgot about the 12am pee excursion as well.. The joys of aging. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

You forgot about the 12am pee excursion as well.. The joys of aging. Wink

Pace yourself, no beers after 10:00, switch to concentrated mixed drinks, it's the stuff that's mostly water that gets you. Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

For those of in the 60+/- range, an option to the 11pm, 1pm, 3pm, etc. trek to the smelly Sani-potty...
A great alternative without stumbling around in the cold and trekking thru dog poo is utilizing an empty 5-quart oil container. Not only is it water resistant and high capacity, but it has a big opening for ...well, you figure it out.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Geez. You guys ALL have it wrong. You're supposed to begin the session with a liter of Scotch an hour before everyone has lunch. In this fashion, you can black out by 7:00 pm. Don't drink or eat anything else. I promise you that there will be no midnight trips to the shitter. If you do it right, you will be comatose until breakfast the next day, thus fully rested and ready for the next 300 miles of driving.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Geez. You guys ALL have it wrong. You're supposed to begin the session with a liter of Scotch an hour before everyone has lunch. In this fashion, you can black out by 7:00 pm. Don't drink or eat anything else. I promise you that there will be no midnight trips to the shitter. If you do it right, you will be comatose until breakfast the next day, thus fully rested and ready for the next 300 miles of driving.

"Have you had anything to drink Question "
"Just one osifer"

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

You guys are something else. My previous process has been to maneuver between the walk-thru area, and climb over the passenger seat, using the front passenger door as means of entry and exit, late in the evening and at night.
Though this is feasible, I'd much rather just use the slider for exit, as sometimes I'm lucky to get down from the top bed let alone out of the bus. You fellas with your piss-filled camp site souvenirs, well you guys just go ahead and keep them. "Thanks, it's a Cardigan"...

On ANOTHER note, I managed to replace the sliding door seal, which at $50 from BD, I think it seems like a decent seal, time will tell, but overall fitment was nice and I am thinking I will only need to adhere the rear most portion of the seal, the fatter section to help it clear the door when closing.

On replacing the front cab door seals, the "square" section that goes around the metal arm that reveals itself upon opening the door, how does one go about installing the new seal without cutting it? Thoughts and tips? Everything I've searched pertaining the seals has been in regards to quality, which is good information, but in my case, not the information I seek.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Camped Thursday and Friday, a bit chilly at 38*, do you guys sleep with a heater on throughout the night??

Seen here, among those in the trailer park:

What it was all about was this beautiful hike up Pinnacle Mountain, check out that view of the Ouachita Mountains. Man, Arkansas is beautiful, and this time of year its absolutely perfect for exploring. #visitarkansas

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Hey Sam...
Have you taken your beautiful rig to show to the PO? I'm sure she would be amazed at the change, and appreciative of all your preservation efforts.

I just looked back at the beginning of your thread of it being yanked from its previous resting spot. Looking at it then compared to now is an astounding transformation.

---WildIdea

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Hey Sam...
Have you taken your beautiful rig to show to the PO? I'm sure she would be amazed at the change, and appreciative of all your preservation efforts.

I just looked back at the beginning of your thread of it being yanked from its previous resting spot. Looking at it then compared to now is an astounding transformation.

Ironically, I was cruising down Markham here in Little Rock, and this lady starts acting silly behind me a drive-thru Mexican joint, and after really looking her over, it was Judy, the lady that allowed me to love the bus. Unfortunately it was raining pretty good, so it was brief and we stayed in our vehicles, but I have thought it to show and tell it to her, though I must prepare myself, she's a hoot!

Also, the Brazilian door seals? The passenger seal is nice and fits fairly well, as for the driver? The material is nice, but HOLY HELL I am so sick of slamming my door to get it to shut, I am afraid one of these days I'm going to pull through on the inner handle.

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

A good cold rated sleeping bag will take you down to freezing point outside.

Nothing on while sleeping. No snuff outs for me. I want to die bouncing my first check.
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Definitely no heat on while sleeping for safety reasons. I have a BN4 which can really heat up the bus fast - I let it run for a while to get it good and warm, then shut it off before getting in my 20-degree bag..
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I've done a fair amount of camping, and the only thing that is difficult to deal with in cold weather isn't really the sleeping bag or clothing. It's breathing really cold air all night. Waking up with a frozen nose and sore throat leads to sickness.

Haven't quite figured that one out yet. Closest remedy I've got is a ski mask.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Mmmm, cold weather is here, why am I not camping???
Perhaps I could swing the eve of Christmas...

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Bagel place came out to light the propane torches on the deck because it was 65F I was the only one outside while there was a ten minute queue for a table inside. Laguna Beach CA...where else?

Very Happy
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Bagel place came out to light the propane torches on the deck because it was 65F I was the only one outside while there was a ten minute queue for a table inside. Laguna Beach CA...where else?

Very Happy
Wimps! I worked outdoors in 10 degree F weather for most of the day yesterday. Of course I freeze on the Cali coast if it drops below 70.... Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

that looks like an electric site..
for electric sites we bring a small cube/oscillating electric space heater and set it on the counter or the front table between the seats..
your paying extra for the electricity, might as well be warm.

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Camped Thursday and Friday, a bit chilly at 38*, do you guys sleep with a heater on throughout the night??

Seen here, among those in the trailer park:

What it was all about was this beautiful hike up Pinnacle Mountain, check out that view of the Ouachita Mountains. Man, Arkansas is beautiful, and this time of year its absolutely perfect for exploring. #visitarkansas

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

it amazes me how few VWs I see in the south when we travel for christmas in our vanagon camper. I mean hey guys it's not 98* @ 90% humidity so get out and enjoy.. it's usually decent camping (by NY standards) up to Myrtle Beach, that 1st week of January..
and soooo many of the southern state campgrounds are all electric sites..
not like that in the north or even out west.
SamboSamba22 wrote:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
it amazes me how few VWs I see in the south when we travel for christmas in our vanagon camper. I mean hey guys it's not 98* @ 90% humidity so get out and enjoy.. it's usually decent camping (by NY standards) up to Myrtle Beach, that 1st week of January..
and soooo many of the southern state campgrounds are all electric sites..
not like that in the north or even out west.
SamboSamba22 wrote:

My thoughts EXACTLY! It’s the perfect time for camping down here, less people, sometimes discounted rates, no humidity, or birds (I mean mosquitos), and the heat. Now it’s officially, I’m just a lazy bum..

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 58

Jump to: