Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

How do you like the sliding door seal, is it any good?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
How do you like the sliding door seal, is it any good?

Solid piece of seal-worthiness. No complaints. You’ll need to glue in a couple sections, but most of mine i left loose. Fit it first before glueing anything.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Roadtrip is about to commence, details following in the next day or so.

Haven't decided exactly which direction I am heading, but I'm flirting with either the idea of Tennessee or Texas.
Any VW things happening this week, or does anyone know of any cool stops in these states that are bus friendly?! Just going to be cruising around and listening to tunes and taking photos.
Give me some feedback, guys!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Well guys, I ended up staying in state and traveling across the state parks, sending most of my time in the NW (Fayetteville, Bentonville) area, and had a wonderful time. Cruised along highway 64 (parallel to I-40) and took just an ungodly amount of photography.
A friend of mine lent me a Nikon F3 film camera and had an absolute blast using the equipment capturing moments of my travels, which ended up being almost 700 miles in 5 days.
The bus ran great, first time I'd ever used 89 octane, and the bus seemed to really enjoy the setup through the travels.

A couple moments that got hairy, one night stuck in the campsite, but was fortunate to get out with the assistance of strangers, for what it's worth, the RA18's don't do a thing in mud!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The second scare came on I-49, on the down spiral of my vacation, and experienced a broken throttle cable, which of course I gave my dad my spare about two months prior and never ordered a spare!
Here you can see some help from a fellow Arkansas VW guy, which had some baling wire to make a cable to get back up to Rogers to scoop up a replacement cable the following day. I sat on the side of the road for a couple hours and couldn't think of a better vehicle to be broken down in; I ate lunch, added a couple stickers to the back glass, and took pictures of the hills.

Explored a lot, ate well, and met some wonderful people.
I used the hell out of my vintage Coleman stove

This is what is left of Oklahoma Row, a bathhouse resort that was created on Le Monte in Arkansas the turn of the 20th century.

One thing I determined that needs to be addressed...it is without a doubt, time to redo the padding in the front seats.

Everyone get out there and drive your bus, put a smile on your face and that of everyone that passes you! Laughing

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Awesome trip! It looks like you had a ton of fun. Post some of those pictures you took when you get the chance. (Crappy pictures of pictures is fine with us)
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Keep eating breakfasts like that, Sam.
Then you won't need the extra seat padding. Laughing

But seriously, I'm glad you had such a good time in your own home state. That makes it more special, and you get to learn more about your area.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Nice trip report! I've got some reading to do to finish this thread!

But the mud picture is my favorite! Twisted Evil
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Keep eating breakfasts like that, Sam.
Then you won't need the extra seat padding. Laughing

But seriously, I'm glad you had such a good time in your own home state. That makes it more special, and you get to learn more about your area.

Thanks for the kind words Kent, waking up with eggs and bacon, hot cup of coffee, well damn, call me a fool, but it sure is a beautiful way to start the day exploring.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Nice trip report! I've got some reading to do to finish this thread!

But the mud picture is my favorite! Twisted Evil
Robbie

The tires were slicker than batshit. Good praise to kind people, or I’d been in trouble, it rained all night and the next day, the bus would’ve turned into s boat, and I know it isn’t that watertight! Laughing

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Your bus has come a long way. I recall reading this when you got it, but I finally caught up. Looks like you two have bonded. Applause

Re closing the sliding door from the inside...
Granted it's been awhile for me since I've had to do it, but I recall you can pull the back of the slider in with the handle on the front of the door. Doesn't it work like the outside? ie one direction unlatches, and the other direction 'tightens' the latch

I know my outside handle does that, and I would swear the inside did too. I do recall I had to squeeze my arm in between the sink/icebox to do it, but it worked... I think Razz

Bus isn't here, so I will have to look next time I'm there.

My 1968 Campmobile
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
Your bus has come a long way. I recall reading this when you got it, but I finally caught up. Looks like you two have bonded. Applause

Re closing the sliding door from the inside...
Granted it's been awhile for me since I've had to do it, but I recall you can pull the back of the slider in with the handle on the front of the door. Doesn't it work like the outside? ie one direction unlatches, and the other direction 'tightens' the latch

I know my outside handle does that, and I would swear the inside did too. I do recall I had to squeeze my arm in between the sink/icebox to do it, but it worked... I think Razz

Bus isn't here, so I will have to look next time I'm there.

He has befriended me, and I appreciate it being kind, listening to my god awful rambling of songs of my own, blowing into my blues harp, and driving at times as if it were a Honda Civic.

It has shared teaches I never expected, more about myself than anything to do with a car.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

With dragging ass on my post-700 mile trip service, I got around to running the valves and completing an oil change. Cylinders 3 & 4 were loose, right side was nice.
During my trip, I experienced a broken throttle cable, so I also took time today to replace that thing, which this time was a total pain in the ass. My make shift cable slide right in on the side of the interstate.

A question I have is that the brake servo up front, there is a port (barbed vent tube) on the rod portion of the brake booster with a hose going to a vented hard plastic tube, running along the perimeter of the driverside wheel well, today I replaced this MISSING tube. What a difference, the high idle at times, the wanting to stall at braking, the dieseling upon shutting off.
Who knew this thing was a vent for the vacuum system???

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Picked up a vintage Colorful Colorado 1974 Plate for the front of the bus!
Pics to come!!

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Picked up a vintage Colorful Colorado 1974 Plate for the front of the bus!
Pics to come!!

No thats not how this shit works dude. STFU if you cant back it up. Now Ill be wandering out the whoooollllee day wondering what your plates look like Rolling Eyes

I hate that..... Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

BAM!!! Proof for all (Jason) the haters!
I absolutely love Colorado, and the fact that I finally scored a proper year plate for the bus is just awesome. And it’s green?! “You mean to compliment the orange/green interior pattern?”
You better believe it.
Super pumped. It’s the little things.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Interesting. Did you move to Colorado or?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

I lived in Colorado for almost four years, before my VW days.
Arkansas doesn’t have any regulations on front plates, only have to have registered tags on the rear of the vehicle.

Ive been searching for a cool 74 plate for a couple years now, and am super pleased with this plate.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

I lived in Colorado for almost four years, before my VW days.
Arkansas doesn’t have any regulations on front plates, only have to have registered tags on the rear of the vehicle.

Ive been searching for a cool 74 plate for a couple years now, and am super pleased with this plate.

Nice! I'd never heard of a state allowing someone to run two different states license plates on the same vehicle.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Welcome to the club kid Wink

Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
With dragging ass on my post-700 mile trip service, I got around to running the valves and completing an oil change. Cylinders 3 & 4 were loose, right side was nice.
During my trip, I experienced a broken throttle cable, so I also took time today to replace that thing, which this time was a total pain in the ass. My make shift cable slide right in on the side of the interstate.

A question I have is that the brake servo up front, there is a port (barbed vent tube) on the rod portion of the brake booster with a hose going to a vented hard plastic tube, running along the perimeter of the driverside wheel well, today I replaced this MISSING tube. What a difference, the high idle at times, the wanting to stall at braking, the dieseling upon shutting off.
Who knew this thing was a vent for the vacuum system???
If replacing the vent tube made a difference in your engine, then you have brake servo problems. May be time to replace/ rebuild it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 52 of 58

Jump to: