Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
korfmach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a basically good Bus. I think you've got a lot of work ahead but from how you've described it, it's eventually going to be a runner.

The AW engine code is a good sign; it's very likely the original. Keep the original dual carbs; once you've got them cleaned and properly set up, they work very well.

It might be worthwhile to check to see if you've got hydraulic lifters. AW engines originally had solid lifters (adjustable) but some people have replaced them with hydraulics when the engines were rebuilt. If yours runs and hasn't been rebuilt, that's even better...take care of it!

Gone, but not forgotten:
1974 Dorper Baywindow, "The Bleeding Trout"
1998 Jetta TDI, "Trixie"
1987 GTI, "Heike"
1974 Thing, "The Luftwaffel"
1974 Ghia
1966 Ghia
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before jumping into this,you should have a good look under it,check for frame rust and rust around the front and rear torsion bars,sitting outside in the grass causes those to rust out.
Good luck hope all checks out well.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an insanely good price at $1600. If it's as solid as it looks $4K would be a good deal. Original stool even?! I wonder what other OG Westy bits are hidden inside?

Looks like an awesome start! I don't know if there is an official rating for the top bed, but 250lbs+ for sure. I think most of your other questions were answered.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They only rust in a few places. everywhere

Bobs bay westy rust repair

Good luck
Tcash[/b]
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any more interior pictures?
Is it a deluxe? I noticed it has a propane tank, but no cleats for the front table (the table might be a '76+ thing).

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having difficult uploading some interior photos, I was wanting to share current condition on the inside with you all, but that'll be another time. Inside is very messy, years of clutter but all can be removed. Original carpet is nasty, my intentions are to remove it and visual inspect floorpan from top, under chassis is impressively clean. Still has the OG electric refrigerator, electric water pump sink, and as mentioned the stool. Still has curtains and cushions for the complete bus, and the headliner and rear of the bus looks practically unused. I am trying to find some donor wheels and slick wheels just to make it a rolling chassis, I'm doubting these flattened tires are going to hold much air. Photo coming soon! Thank you all for constructive input and knowledgable opinions, I love the community with passionate owners of the timeless VW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korfmach-Motor was rebuilt in the late 80's, now in regards to why and if the lifters were changed, I do not have a clue. I'm impressed with how freely i was able to turn the motor, perhaps there truly is hope in the boxer.
Bala- What makes it a deluxe? I have looked up the M-code and to pleasing knowledge, the numbers and descriptions match up, but I didn't see anything about a deluxe, just the mention of being a westy. Fingers crossed, the a/c will work, the fridge will be 32 degrees and the sink will have water pressure like an old school water fountain!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may mean duluxe in that it is a fully loaded westy with most all the options.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rims

Way Out Salvage
Kingston, Arkansas, USA
823 Madison 3665 Kingston,
Arkansas 72742
479-665-4126

http://www.wayoutsalvage.com/home/service/
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash- I have spoken with Derek at Way Out last week, asking tons of questions and was welcomed with them. I am eager and excited because they are always coming across hidden gems and various part buses. Only problem is that Way Out isn't only the name, it's a solid three hours from the house, in the middle of nowhere Arky. I'm doing some research and learning I'm going to have trouble finding cheap wheels and tires to make the bus a lot easier to move around, down here the pick n pulls are nothing but dodges, chevys, and fords, not having the same millimeter bolt pattern, spacing, and finding crappy tires for cheap with 14'' rims isn't looking to good either, any tips getting the bus loaded up on a trailer with 25 year old flats? What are the odds of them holding long enough to be loaded up onto the trailer?? It's going to be a chore, so any suggestions are welcome!!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other rims fit, but most require having the middle opened up.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=170287&highlight=lets+rims

Good Luck
Tcash

Harbor freight has a trailer winch, hand crank. But you need it to roll to use that.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think older ford ranger wheels fit but dont quote me on that. The simplest solution may be to pull any wheels off the bus that wont hold air when you get there and take them to the nearest used tire place and have them put some decent ones on. Or, get 4 new hankook RA08 tires and have a shop put them on for you when u get there. That will cost more obviously but youll have to put new tires on before driving anyway. The other option is to borrow some wheels from a vw enthusiast. Best of luck, dont give up, you will have many challenges to come getting this old bus on the road, this is juat part of it.
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deluxe got the propane stove and the fridge (instead of just an ice box). Later Bays got a little table that mounted on the dash between the front seats.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if those tires held air. At least long enough to get it on a trailer. Do you have access to an air compressor or tank?

Honestly though, I would be more concerned that the rear brakes are locked up with the parking brake being left on:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Beetle
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed it does have the propane hook up and the electric fridge rather than the box, I was surprised it didn't have the ice box, thinking that wasn't an option until '76 or so. If they hold air, then I'll be one happy fella, I have an 18ft trailer, I just need a bunch of straps and a couple come-alongs and I think I'll be alright. Am I just being a child and thinking the word deluxe just made it even cooler? About the parking brake, I have released it since this photo, but I am preparing to be removing the rear wheels and "waking up" the stuck drums with a 2x4 and a hammer. I'm no hercules nor fairy, but I wasn't even able to show any signs of movement pushing on the bus, going to need a good breakfast this Saturday.
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things you'll need:

1 truck and 1 flatbed trailer that can handle a bus
1 come-a-long (or crank winch mounted to trailer)
1 chain or tow rope with hooks or loop ends at least (if you use a come a long you will have to readjust the length over and over which is why a chain is useful)
1 person to help you
1 lug wrench
1 can pb blaster
1 rubber mallet (or hammer and wood)
1 flathead screwdriver (loosen adjusters on rear brakes first)
1 pump or tank to pump tires
$ bring some (you may need to buy some used tires for a couple wheels)
4 tires that hold air (to be determined)
several ratcheting straps
2 or more wheel chocks

Feel free to add to the list, I'm sure I forgot some things

Once you get air in the tires you can try to pull the bus a little with another vehicle using a tow strap, the wheels may break free. If that doesn't work, then you'll have to work on the rear brakes more to free them.

Last edited by Pinetops on Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get you a couple of these.
Fix a Flat

Jack up the tire. So when it is reforming itself, it is not under load. Put half a can in and spin the tire. Then air it up to like 25 psi, be careful it may blow.

Good Luck
Tcash

Then your buddy will have a winch on his trailer.
Trailer Winch
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Interior shots Reply with quote

Definitely messy, but a little cleaning it'll look nice! It's a little hard to see everything, but the inside to my belief is pretty solid for forty years!

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Can't wait to see this thing cleaned up!
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty complete, that's great. The stool is there, that's a really good sign.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to look in that box between the front seats - see if it contains the elusive yellow pail! Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 2 of 58

Jump to: