Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RidinRetro1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Your Bus looks great! I've been following this thread for a while.

Where'd you get your white emblem? Is it pretty good quality? I recently broke the original one on my Westy and I'm looking for a nice replacement.
Modern Vanagon Westy Interior
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

RidinRetro1973 wrote:
Your Bus looks great! I've been following this thread for a while.

Where'd you get your white emblem? Is it pretty good quality? I recently broke the original one on my Westy and I'm looking for a nice replacement.

Thank you, a little at a time adds up.
As for the emblem, $25 bucks from BusDepot. Seemed solid with a little flex but it definitely could "pop" or break. But being flat on the nose, I believe it'll last a good while. Coloring seems within the mould. Don't forget to buy new emblem tabs to hold it, they're $3 for all 3 you need.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Extreme fuel smells in the cab the last few weeks had me concerned, so to the topics I went looking, for potential culprits.
Just minutes in, led me to finding this dry, worn out fuel filler neck.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A replacement fuel neck will be here tomorrow, along with a new fuel cap. Time tomorrow will tell if my issues were simple enough.
Any ill effects to performance or noticible issues at that, from having a non-airtight fuel system? No telling how much gas sloshes around in and out of the broken sections.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

That was a timely post, Sam. It reminded me to check mine, and.... found it has a tear in it too. Grrrrr. And I just replaced the rest of the hose/pipe down to the tank. It probably tore while I was installing the new parts.

So thanks, Sambo! You saved me from a fuel spill the first time I tried to fill up, or from smelling it every mile. Very Happy

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Man they sure don't make things like they use to, and this is one of those situations.
Purchased my replacement fuel neck from BusDepot for around $20 from a well known manufacturer of replacement VW parts. The material is no where are thick and durable feeling, and mine I received was actually not torn but what looked like a "cut" in a non crucial area. I'm not sure if this is the only option for such replacement, but I'd entertain the idea of some other option out there.
For at least the time being, it should be the job.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Man they sure don't make things like they use to, and this is one of those situations.
Purchased my replacement fuel neck from BusDepot for around $20 from a well known manufacturer of replacement VW parts. The material is no where are thick and durable feeling, and mine I received was actually not torn but what looked like a "cut" in a non crucial area. I'm not sure if this is the only option for such replacement, but I'd entertain the idea of some other option out there.

Welcome to the world of "new" parts being sold for our VW's today. It's rare that I buy a "new" part that is close to as good as the VW part unless it's a NOS one.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I ordered one from Wolfsberg West on Wednesday and amazingly, it arrived in today's mail. Good job, WW.

When I opened it, I had the same reaction, Sam. The original one is thicker and more rigid, while the new one is noticeably thinner and very floppy. WW typically only sells the best product available (from my limited experience buying VW parts), so I'm guessing there isn't anything better out there right now.

Has anyone found a better option?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So this is what the #24 behind the spare tire/linen cabinet looked like:

Definitely faulty. The culprit of my experienced fuel smells? Time will tell.
On another note, let's jump to the fan shroud openings. This one is on top just left of the fan, the other twist style caps are too large, is this hole an inspection port? Lots of air blows out of this thing.

Also the hose/line that runs from the charcoal canister into the fan shroud, do they make an adapter or connector for this opening? I have hose but nothing air tight to hook it up to, leaving me trying to come up with something. Really wanting to button this thing up, and make sure things are in good working order.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

That hole is added when some styles of A/C compressor gets in the way of the OG hole on the LH end of the shroud. Home depot will have assorted caps in the electrical dept, or connect the canister to it and cap the other one.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Gotcha. Thanks busdaddy, I was curious why there was two.
I missed posting the side port, this the original hole?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
this the original hole?

Yes, but the 12mm nipple has been sawn off, time to get creative with grommets and/or JB weld.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

I too was looking to replace my filler neck rubber and all my fuel system lines and ordered a new piece from WW. It arrived as others describe. Really thin and floppy, but not only that, not shaped anything like my OG piece. My original has what looks like a beak inside and a small port that let's air out the top. The new piece is missing all that and basically looks like the upmost minimum to maybe pass as an actual replacement part. I decided my original was in decent enough shape to still run and shelved the new one but can't imagine wanting to ever install it. Mine was just a little dirty and still playable, so I whipped it down with a rag with a touch of gear oil, and put it back on the filler pile and reinstalled. Sorry yours was so cracked, bummer.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
My original has what looks like a beak inside and a small port that let's air out the top.

It sounds like yours has the nearly extinct 'bird's beak' in it. I believe it was meant for California vehicles, and it was a mechanism meant to keep leaded fuel from beong pumped into the tank. From what I've heard, most people find parts of the beak floating around in their gas tank after it breaks into many pieces.

That said, I would wonder if the new filler piece will replace it. After installing mine, I found it to be a good fit. But I will be very careful when filling the tank so that doesn't get stressed.

---WildIdea

Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Fuel pump pin: can you remove the pin and through-bolt that with a nylock nut Question

Bird's beak California application. One NOS, one breaking apart as they all do, and that crappy filler neck replacement currently offered:

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
So this is what the #24 behind the spare tire/linen cabinet looked like:

Whats wrong with it? Its just missing 10 meters of electrical tape..
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Embarassed Think they all look like that- [img]
[/img]

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

When I had the motor out in the 77, I cleaned and painted the engine bay, deadened all the gas tank area and did some rust care. Then I crawled my big ass up under there again, sat with some new fuel line, can lube and some dikes replacing all of those suckers. I even got a plastic T for the union in the engine bay to suck the fumes into the manifold.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Fuel pump pin: can you remove the pin and through-bolt that with a nylock nut Question

Bird's beak California application. One NOS, one breaking apart as they all do, and that crappy filler neck replacement currently offered:

Interesting on these, my 74 is a California emissions bus but didn't have the birds beak inner section. Didn't see it in the tank two years ago either...

riverside66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

Interesting on these, my 74 is a California emissions bus but didn't have the birds beak inner section. Didn't see it in the tank two years ago either...

And I've got a 79 bus that was purchased new here in FL, and it has that bird beak.

Man, I'm with you on the frustration of the newer parts. I got lucky and scored an OEM VW fuel neck from a local vw parts shop. But it's nothing like the original, which is way more robust. Maybe this is VW Brazil?

Fortunately, when I went to replace my original, I noticed that it was just the "beak" section that was ripped, and not the thick outer portion (it was still in great shape) so I kept it.
lil-jinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I also have a new filler neck rubber that I have yet to install,thinking when I do install it I will make a support bracket for the filler pipe to take the weight off of the rubber filler neck.
1968 Dune Buggy
1974 parts bus
A smart man learns from his mistakes,a very smart man learns from other's mistakes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 44 of 58

Jump to: