Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Sometimes a man’s time is worth way more than the things he is messing with, sometimes it’s the other way around. With that in mind... if changing heads on a bus engine is easier on you than waiting/saving for a full expensive rebuild, then go that way.

Seems to me you’ve got a fairly worn out engine. Putting expensive heads on it as it sits now makes little sense to me. Put expensive heads on it if and when you decide to break the case down and do a full, expensive build.

Put the Cheap Bus Depot rebuilt heads on it, run it. Expect to do the work again sooner than you’d like... another set of gaskets, more down time. Screw people who say you’re being a cheapskate. It’s not their time or money.

Or... put the bus on minimal operating hours, and start saving up for that really expensive Type 4 custom build.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Ring the Alarm!!! Update time!

Sooooo, after muc delay and procrastination, well really just business with life, work, and businesses, I picked up a low mileage 76 GE 2.0 engine from a friend of mine.
Pistons and cylinders came in a couple days ago, and the heads I pulled off, I picked up last Friday from a true VW machine guy, and all is good to go on the original cylinder heads. All is waiting on me to pick up a rebuild gasket kit, a flywheel seal, inspect the oil pump for wear, and button back up the top end. FINALLY!

Now my current engine is 1.8, and simply put, worn out. My intentions are to completely disassemble the original motor, and using quality parts, make it into a strong 2.0L.

Ready to get camping, and truly just driving the bus again, nothing like cold mornings bouncing down in a bus.

Now all nonsense aside, I have a fuel delivery question. Original motor being supplied by a mechanical pump will have to be replaced with an electric pump as the 76 casting doesn't have an opening for a mechanical pump.
What am I looking for guys, and any insight with fuel delivery and regulator stuff is encouraged.

I'm currently planning on swapping over my 34 PDSIT carbs onto the 2 liter, anyone have any feedback or encouragement to run something else??

Hope everyone is grooving right along, happy and healthy.
-Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

Now all nonsense aside, I have a fuel delivery question. Original motor being supplied by a mechanical pump will have to be replaced with an electric pump as the 76 casting doesn't have an opening for a mechanical pump.
What am I looking for guys, and any insight with fuel delivery and regulator stuff is encouraged.

I'm currently planning on swapping over my 34 PDSIT carbs onto the 2 liter, anyone have any feedback or encouragement to run something else??

-Sam

Did you have the carbs rebushed/rebuilt? Are they in good working order? If so, I understand them to be incredibly capable and durable.

I also like the DRLA36 Delorto carbs. Once you dial them in, they are really nice. Whatever you decide to do, you'll need an electric fuel pump that will play well with the carbs. You will want to buy something that allows you to regulate the pressure, to no more than 3.5 psi. Otherwise, you'll be chasing all sorts of other issues down the line.

Hope that helps!
a.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Ive read a lot about the carb options. I ended up going with Weber IDF's, mostly for availability of parts and knowledge. I'm not disappointed though I do need better linkage (mine is utter crap). Lots of people swear by the dellorto's though. I like my IDF's. Benefit of stock is chokes (I think?) and the Bentley is applicable.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:

Sooooo, after muc delay and procrastination, well really just business with life, work, and businesses, I picked up a low mileage 76 GE 2.0 engine from a friend of mine.
Pistons and cylinders came in a couple days ago, and the heads I pulled off, I picked up last Friday from a true VW machine guy, and all is good to go on the original cylinder heads. All is waiting on me to pick up a rebuild gasket kit, a flywheel seal, inspect the oil pump for wear, and button back up the top end. FINALLY!

Now my current engine is 1.8, and simply put, worn out. My intentions are to completely disassemble the original motor, and using quality parts, make it into a strong 2.0L.

Ready to get camping, and truly just driving the bus again, nothing like cold mornings bouncing down in a bus.

-Sam

You mentioned having trouble getting the PDSIT's dialed in on your engine. It's possible that your worn engine and low compression on one cylinder contributed to this problem. I have run Weber 34 ICT's and a Weber Progressive on my 1.8. I liked the ICT's a lot as they were simple and easy to set up and proved to be quite reliable. I had my original PDSIT's rebuilt at Volkzbitz and am waiting for the time and courage to install them. I have heard a lot of good things about them being a very good option for all around driving and climate conditions, but have hesitated because I am daunted by their complexity. If you plan on going this route, I would suggest having them rebuilt so at least you rule out worn carbs as a reason for having trouble tuning them. It's way less money compared to aftermarket carbs which always seem to be a compromise.

The benefits of the stock setup are chokes, preheat, better air filtration, a quieter air intake, adjustable accelerator pump jet fuel volume. The downsides, I guess, the complexity...all those hoses...not sure if large enough for a 2 litre engine...
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

-Sam

It's been about two years since Tim rebuilt my original PDSIT carbs, not only do they still look great, but also function wonderfully.

I believe my issues with timing and getting the carbs synced well is a combination of my lack of knowledge, leaky heads, and a worn out engine.
Did you have the carbs rebushed/rebuilt? Are they in good working order? If so, I understand them to be incredibly capable and durable.

I also like the DRLA36 Delorto carbs. Once you dial them in, they are really nice. Whatever you decide to do, you'll need an electric fuel pump that will play well with the carbs. You will want to buy something that allows you to regulate the pressure, to no more than 3.5 psi. Otherwise, you'll be chasing all sorts of other issues down the line.

Hope that helps!
a.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

-Sam

You mentioned having trouble getting the PDSIT's dialed in on your engine. It's possible that your worn engine and low compression on one cylinder contributed to this problem. I have run Weber 34 ICT's and a Weber Progressive on my 1.8. I liked the ICT's a lot as they were simple and easy to set up and proved to be quite reliable. I had my original PDSIT's rebuilt at Volkzbitz and am waiting for the time and courage to install them. I have heard a lot of good things about them being a very good option for all around driving and climate conditions, but have hesitated because I am daunted by their complexity. If you plan on going this route, I would suggest having them rebuilt so at least you rule out worn carbs as a reason for having trouble tuning them. It's way less money compared to aftermarket carbs which always seem to be a compromise.

The benefits of the stock setup are chokes, preheat, better air filtration, a quieter air intake, adjustable accelerator pump jet fuel volume. The downsides, I guess, the complexity...all those hoses...not sure if large enough for a 2 litre engine...

I wouldn't think the engine would have any issue running on the stock dual carbs, the only difference between the 1.8 and 2.0 is the crank which effects the torque band.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Sorry missed that...too much multitasking...
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Sounds like you are on the right track...!

Because I'm an old curmudgeon who suspects every bus motor i see anymore,
If that were mine,
I'd be splitting the case to inspect and re-seal.
If everything is good, then great, all you are in for is a gasket set and some time.

Aircooler motors just LOVE to be cleaned of the years' grease and grime.
Once they can shed the heat instead of being sealed in an insulating layer of muck,
They seem to thank you for it in reliability, power, and efficiency.
So at least clean the thing outside really well.. Wink

Those 2.0 motors, if used in a bus, have a few things that tend to cause issues (aside from the heads).

Rod bearings and cam/lifters would be the first things to check.
Rod bearings being cheap enough, why not have a fresh set put in now?

Putting in a Web 86 or 73 would be a fun thing to do if the cam was worn.

Mains tend to last a long time, so they are likely to be good..

Even with a bit more cam, your factory PDSITs should be fine for your 2.0 if they are in good shape.

I would also be using your early heater boxes,
As they are known to run cooler than the later style found on the 2.0.
Especially with a T-Bird or copy header..

First choice for a fuel pump i would say CB/Carter rotary.
They are nice and quiet.
Even though they are supposedly self-regulating,
IME, they will still need a regulator.
My vote goes to the Holley vs. the flying saucer regulator.

So ther's my $.02. Take it FWIW..

Always enjoy seeing you post on this thread, as you're doing a great job.
Every bus should be so lucky!

What’s That Noise?!?
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Clatter,
Always good to hear from you sir, thank you for the thorough and thoughtful information.

As of right now, aside from wisdom and practice, I am going to leave the 2L case alone, button the top end, and complete the swap to get the bus moving this winter for camping/spring. The original 1.8 will be getting split, shipped to Rimco for cleaning and line-boring, to have new reputable components in it, to build a nice motor for more worry-free miles.
With the holidays upon us, I am not short either of additional expenses, and certainly not complaining either, as I am fortunate enough to have friends and family to buy such gifts for this Christmas, I'll have to keep my bus-buying parts list at a minimum.

I truly hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and with Black Friday yesterday at work being less hectic and a cluster, I hope that's a sign of more than folks turning to buying online, but rather a change in perspective that these days are about love, family, and friends.

Happy Cruising guys,

Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Checking in with the status of the bus, started to button up the 2L engine I picked up and tore down.
Here is the bus bottom up for the third time in 6 months, dropping the tired 1.8 AW engine that is original to the bus with a 1 and half rebuild in its life.
Putting her to the side to split and build up when the time is right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Make note you hungry fellas, this isn't ramen I'm seen here bleeding and priming the hydraulic lifters prior to installation.

Checked deck height, washed components from AA Pistons with laundry detergent, inspecting the alignment of the rings, which to my surprise not only are the new castings sported an "AA" badge, but the rings were spaced and opposing of one another correctly.
Arrows to the flywheel - check.
Had the heads inspected and cleaned up with worked valves, and on they went.
Used a feeler gauge to check the endplay, we're in spec. Then commenced changing out seals...think it leaked?

Not quite complete, installed pushrod tubes (install underneath head engine tin prior to installing tubes), pushrods, torqued rocker assemblies, spark plugs, ran valves (yes, they're hydraulic, still need to adjust them with initial setup; per Wilson build book, "just when they touch the valve, plus 2 additional turns".
Distributor installed, cleaned up the still nicely painted engine tin from my 1.8, installed the thermostat, pulley with special bolt (add grease), installed the oil filter arm, primed the Mahle filter with half a quart of oil and called it a night.

Tonight after work will consist of installing oil cooler and seals, installing pilot bearing, flywheel shims, o-ring and gasket, and the flywheel itself.
Continuing with installing engine tin, transferring cooling flaps onto the GE fan housing and installing the housing itself. Oil fill tube with special boot (sneak a ziptie on it too), alternator, cooling fan, belt, fan guard...do we have enough time???

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Got off work. Five hours few by, and after swapping over parts, adding some new ones, fan housing, alternator, engine mounts, engine tin and various other small items, I called it an night.
Stuff got done. I think.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Curiosity occurred last night, so here's a question for those in the know of type 4 bus information.
Installed the flywheel last night, which was the original flywheel I removed off of the 2L when I tore it down, but when I went to install the clutch pressure plate, there were 3 dowel pins facing off of the flywheel preventing the application of my original clutch.
Below you can see the identifies on this particular flywheel.

So since I am using my original transmission, and know that my 1.8L flywheel worked with my transmission and clutch, I pulled the flywheel off the old engine and installed it to the 2L.
Note that with these different numbers, this flywheel lacks the pins, allowing for the clutch to be installed.

Anyone have any insight about these differences? Note that the first flywheel I posted is was the original to the 2L, I'm not sure whether that bus was manual or automatic, but just behind the circumference of the teeth there is a groove or line that does not exist on my 1.8L flywheel.
Just curious. looking to install engine and transmission back into the bus in the upcoming days.
Thanks,
Sam

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

For future reference, the answer to my above question regarding the flywheel differences is simple due to VW uses a larger, “heavier duty” flywheel when they bumped up the 1.8 to 2.0 and switched the transmission from the 002 to the 091. Simple answer.

Hopefully have the bus running and moving for camp outings soon!

I remember once, long ago a beat up and crummy bus...

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, I hope you used your 74 flywheel, the later one uses a bigger clutch disc and different bellhousing and starter.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Shocked WTF, Sam?!?... Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2243810

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Oh, that’s a shame. I was enjoying this thread.

I’ve almost put both my Bus and Ghia on the market several times. Always glad I didn’t.

Hope there’s no serious personal reason for the sale..
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Shit happens.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Shocked WTF, Sam?!?... Shocked

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2243810

You weren’t suppose to find out, not you Kent! Laughing
All joking aside, I really don’t want to sell the Westy, he’s been a pal and life teacher.
I’ve found myself in the middle of leisure and practicality for my two businesses. I sold my 59 single to eventually replace it with a Bay Double.
Problem is...moolahhh. Bus prices are going down, great for buyers, less for a fella wanting something a little more rare.

I have a really nice, super dry 78 with all the fuel injection stuff to work out that I was initially wanting to sell but I’m halfway tempted, hence my For Sale Ad on PushPop, to sell the Westy and continue working on the Transporter.
If I don’t keep it, it’ll be one of the nicest, driest buses I’ve ever seen leave my hands, and that’s out of at least a thousand throughout the years.

Decisions are tough, time will tell. Still on the fence, I’m not giving the fella away!

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

tommu wrote:
Oh, that’s a shame. I was enjoying this thread.

I’ve almost put both my Bus and Ghia on the market several times. Always glad I didn’t.

Hope there’s no serious personal reason for the sale..

Nothing to be alarmed about, just a strong case of stupidity.
Thanks for tagging along and keeping up with my tinkering, I really appreciate it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 55 of 58

Jump to: