Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

2000 watt power inverter to be fueled off my auxiliary battery, and I'm attempting to decifer the proper wire gauge requirements.
Online I've read 1/0 or even 2/0 but I was thinking I read 6 AWG on the packaging. Looking at 2 or 4 AWG wire.
Folks with more electronical knowledge than me, enlighten me!

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Go the West Marine website and look up the recommended wire gauge for 3% and 10% voltage drop, remembering that you have to double to wire length to run wire from source to ground.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

It depends on the run.
Click on: Circuit Wizard
https://www.bluesea.com/
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
It depends on the run.
Click on: Circuit Wizard
https://www.bluesea.com/

Wow. This is awesome. Thank you Tim.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Looks like you ordered the Type 1 steering coupler instead of the Type 2. About three years ago, I ordered and received the correct Type 2 coupler from Bus Depot. Have not looked at their offerings as of late.

Horn wiring changed from the early Bays to the late Bays, IIRC so be careful which thread you read and choose to follow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Since my life is so cool and important, that I must purposely invite all to witness, here is the link of me exploring the Natural State in my bus:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=681174
Thanks for hanging out, sure has come a long way from sitting forgotten under a tree in Morrilton...

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Knocked out the passenger side CV joints today. Re packed the originals, though they could/need to be replaced they'll last a little while longer. I've had the boots for two for over a year now, today was the day.
As you can see, they were nasty and nasty

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All was smooth sailing until I had the cleaned shaft anchored to the transaxle and the CV joint fell apart on the wheel end! Damn, did that half hour of dickering with it spark my creative language course!
Much better

Even better now that it's installed. Show in Hot Springs in the morning.

As stated original equipment hardware was 6mm Allen, 6 bolts per joint. Read up on type2's breakdown, along with Ratwell's procedure. Kits I bought from Bus Depot, came with boot, grease, boot clamp, and new inner washer. Along with (6) 12-Point bolts. Perfect opportunuty to use my new 12-pt EMPI socket. Stuff those boots full of all kinds of grease!

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I bet you're chomping at the bit to do the other side, aren't ya?? Laughing
After doing mine this past spring, I'm hoping to NEVER do them again.

Good job doing the one side. It looks like they were a couple miles past due.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
I bet you're chomping at the bit to do the other side, aren't ya?? Laughing
After doing mine this past spring, I'm hoping to NEVER do them again.

Good job doing the one side. It looks like they were a couple miles past due.

Just 50k or so... Laughing
It honestly wasn’t that bad of a job, just messy and the hiccup at the end makes it seem so much worse than it actually is, though I do like looking under there and seeing clean parts! Never noticed someone bottomed out the cross-member until yesterday doing this job.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Went by my buddy Brian’s place last night and helped him button up and reinstall his dual port to make the show this morning, late and burning the midnight oil, we succeed.
So, this morning we met and caravanned to Hot Springs to attend a last minute show and shine about half an hour drive away.
The sun was beating today, though it beats rain, and in total we probably had 20 cars, not bad for a 5 week idea on Facebook.
About an hour prior to calling it a day, a gentleman approaches me and asks if I were interested in a tent for my bus, he goes on about how his folks bought one from Germany in 78, shipped it over to be damaged in logistics, and sold it a few years later, holding onto the tent for it was well built. Well driving down the main drag, you could see our little car gathering and he stopped in, and needing to liquidate some items due to moving, felt the need to reach out to a Volkswagen nut like myself.
$350 cash, missing two “roof poles” (images shown I am using the top awning poles) and the bottom two padded awning poles.
All in all, he assured me it was clean. I wasn’t expecting to find a little Westfalia treasure today, but when you get out there, be kind and open, you never know. The first guy was too busy talking...

After he took me down the street to an ATM, the deal was done. First man I’ve ever met with the name Darwin; on the grounds of a church, who would’ve thunked it.
Nice bright blue coloring.

Pre-assembly, per instructions given by BusDaddy via another thread.

It seems to be in fairly good shape.

Just a little cleaning should do it.

Any tips on how to clean, safely, the canvas? There are a couple dirty spots, along with some staining on one of the screens for the windows, I’d like to think I could freshen it up a bit.
Oh yeah, lookout Eureka! Cool

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

And Sambo scores another great find! It's almost as good as getting your bus!

Maybe you should play the lottery tonight. Your luck is high today. Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wow! Total score on the tent! Looks great! As for cleaning, all I can suggest is mild detergent put in a lawn chemical spray wand at the end of the garden hose. Rinse and repeat, done on the morning of a hot day. Let be sun and breeze dry it out.

CV Joints: it is my understanding that the boot is only a dust boot; it is not to be filled with grease. And keep an eye on those clamps. I used clamps also until one boot developed a bad twist and kink. Not sure why, but it seems like the clamp prevents the boot from allowing some movement and flex when it needs it... not too sure about this, but I don't use clamps anymore.

And yes, I've had a CV joint fall apart on install. Not funny!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
. And yes, I've had a CV joint fall apart on install. Not funny!

Au contraire...
It's totally hilarious when it happens to someone else! Drool

---WildIdea

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

78? No that looks like a 68! Shocked Metal rings at the bottom ot the tent instead of the rubber doughnuts, gold galvy poles - by 78 they would of been painted baby poo brown, and the large open flap in back without a window.

Nice score. Its always nice to see a tent passed by the og owner to a new owner. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Maybe it aged in storage?, sure looks like an early tent from here, nice score for a good price regardless!

But don't hook the black C's on the poles, the straps go around the pole and the C's hook to the grommet on the tab at the base of the strap, the C's are a pain to replace when you break them from using them improperly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
78? No that looks like a 68! Shocked Metal rings at the bottom ot the tent instead of the rubber doughnuts, gold galvy poles - by 78 they would of been painted baby poo brown, and the large open flap in back without a window.

Nice score. Its always nice to see a tent passed by the og owner to a new owner. Cool

Is this thing really that old? That's impressive, who manufactures tents to last half a century???
I was doing a light reading on this site here, perhaps I read it wrong, and the latter style shown with the "X" pattern poles are the late bay style tents?
http://tents.wetwesties.org/loaves.html

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Is this thing really that old? That's impressive, who manufactures tents to last half a century???
I was doing a light reading on this site here, perhaps I read it wrong, and the latter style shown with the "X" pattern poles are the late bay style tents?
http://tents.wetwesties.org/loaves.html

Dont go by that as its just general info. The style tent you have by what I know was used at least through production till 79. This info being gathered by people's accounts and original documented buses.

Ive only seen one 78 bought in the states with a tent included like yours. Well the same to the laymen.

I bought a tent from a guy who ordered one directly from Westfalia in 1977 - and its a different style.

Because people could still get these early style tents late in production - I assume they were left over stock especially if its dealer purchased.

Most info is found here.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=524725&highlight=

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
Wow! Total score on the tent! Looks great! As for cleaning, all I can suggest is mild detergent put in a lawn chemical spray wand at the end of the garden hose. Rinse and repeat, done on the morning of a hot day. Let be sun and breeze dry it out.

CV Joints: it is my understanding that the boot is only a dust boot; it is not to be filled with grease. And keep an eye on those clamps. I used clamps also until one boot developed a bad twist and kink. Not sure why, but it seems like the clamp prevents the boot from allowing some movement and flex when it needs it... not too sure about this, but I don't use clamps anymore.

And yes, I've had a CV joint fall apart on install. Not funny!

I read somewhere that VW called for 90g of grease to be applied to the joint and inside the boot housing. Granted, when first installing there was ample amounts of grease inside the boot, once it came time for final install I managed to get most of the coverage applied to the joints themselves prior to bolting down...there is not a doubt, I made some sailors quite proud that afternoon!

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Just received my new bus steering coupler, from a guy out of Oregon, supposedly a Brazilian part.

On a scale of 1 to 10 stiffness, I’d give it a 7.
Print says Legar 4076. Any ideas?

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 58

Jump to: