Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:
Wow! Total score on the tent! Looks great! As for cleaning, all I can suggest is mild detergent put in a lawn chemical spray wand at the end of the garden hose. Rinse and repeat, done on the morning of a hot day. Let be sun and breeze dry it out.

CV Joints: it is my understanding that the boot is only a dust boot; it is not to be filled with grease. And keep an eye on those clamps. I used clamps also until one boot developed a bad twist and kink. Not sure why, but it seems like the clamp prevents the boot from allowing some movement and flex when it needs it... not too sure about this, but I don't use clamps anymore.

And yes, I've had a CV joint fall apart on install. Not funny!

I read somewhere that VW called for 90g of grease to be applied to the joint and inside the boot housing. Granted, when first installing there was ample amounts of grease inside the boot, once it came time for final install I managed to get most of the coverage applied to the joints themselves prior to bolting down...there is not a doubt, I made some sailors quite proud that afternoon!

The original boots from VW had a dam or lip inside the first bellow that kept the grease crowded up against the joint, new boots lack that. It doesn't matter quite so much on the lowers where gravity keeps it in place, but you may want to go over the recommended amount on the uppers to allow for seepage into the boot.

That steering coupler looks rather crude, install it and look it over every time you are underneath, you may get lucky, or not...... Does it stink?, or just smell a little like rubber?, the putrid stuff seems to die an early death.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Just smells like rubber. It does look crude, though I am hoping it's installation will be beneficial to the bus, not sure of the difference to be noticed, all I knows is that the original one is cracked all over the place.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
all I knows is that the original one is cracked all over the place.

Well then it's a big improvement even if it does the same thing in a few years, can't make it any worse in the short term.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Hanging out in style, just received these lantern holders from Lee out of Georgia, thank you man!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Popped off the belt line trim a few days ago, sanded her down, primed and painted with some color match rattle can.
Happy how well the color blended, still need to wet sand it a bit, but with showtime coming up in a couple weeks, it's the little things.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

So I am days out from heading a couple hours drive to the beautiful Eureka
Springs for the 25th Annual VW show. Aside from a little wash and wax, cleaning inside and finishing crafting up the conduit poles for my Westy tent, I am wanting to address the intermittent hiccup I have every blue moon.
Issue happens as:
-Driving down the freeway (55-63mph) bus begins to surge and drag as if its losing fuel or vapor locking. Doesn't happen often, resolution consists of pulling off to the shoulder, turning bus off. I always walk back and check engine bay and connections on carbs (time pass of maybe 3 minutes). Go back to the bus, fires right up, and I go about my business.

Following the next opportunity after these events I change out the in line fuel filters, which I don't if it's coincidental or not, but precedes to eliminate the issue for a good duration of time.

Now I haven't experienced this in a while, but I'm flirting with an idea and what you all's thoughts about this idear:
I have the in-tank mesh screen filter with the red o-ring washer for my split truck project and am curious since I never replaced the internal tank filter in my Westy, if I used this screen if it would eliminate the random issue of fuel, because I am assuming I am getting some various junk in the carbs due to sediments in the fuel passing through the in line (clear typical type) fuel filter.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/fuelsystem/fuel_system_bus.cfm?type=2
Item #32 or #15 (Screen Filter) #14 washer

Thoughts guys? (Stock style mechanical fuel pump)

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

I never replaced the internal tank filter in my Westy, if I used this screen if it would eliminate the random issue of fuel
Shame on you
Very likely would.

Have a good trip
Tcash
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I never replaced the internal tank filter in my Westy, if I used this screen if it would eliminate the random issue of fuel
Shame on you
Very likely would.

Have a good trip
Tcash

I've read this 5 times Tim...are you saying yay or nay?! Ha

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

That's funny. Kinda of a mixed message.
I'm saying Shame on you to you, not changing your tank screen. You have put too much into your carbs to risk running rust through them.

It is always a good idea to drain and clean your gas tank and clean or replace the screen. Especially as your symptoms go away after changing the fuel filters.

Sorry
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Things Found In Gas Tanks
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Thank you Tcash.
Super pumped to see you all across the board again, I missed your wisdom, and I'm sure the bus more so.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

FWIW, I did install the internal screen tube into the bus fuel tank. No issues over the 500 miles this past weekend. Average 24mpg, which I’m doubting, and believing to be closer to 21ish, but as for now, the numbers reflect deuce-quarto...
Some pics of the bus posted up at Eureka Springs 25th Annual Silver Anniversary VW Show:

Just below you can see the front half of dad’s 79, which drove like a champ!

The overall presence of the Drive-Away tent was a huge hit, folks loved it!

Welcome, fancy finding you here...

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

That gathering looks like it was a great group of vehicles and people. Very cool you and you're dad went together. Are there any more shows going on this year?
And whether it's 21 or 24 mpg, I'm jealous!!!

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
That gathering looks like it was a great group of vehicles and people. Very cool you and you're dad went together. Are there any more shows going on this year?
And whether it's 21 or 24 mpg, I'm jealous!!!

Not locally, there are a handful coming up in Texas in October I'd like to check out. Though I wouldn't take the bus, I'd cruise in comfort in the GTI, and enter a watercooled class. I'd bring a moving blanket for all the goodies to be hand, the one I am thinking about checking out is the BusFest first weekend in October.
Lots of good cars and parts hiding away in Texas, if these damn storms don't suck all the goods into the ocean like Atlantis..

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Last night dad and I took off for the first night camping this fall, since the weather is getting really nice in the evenings.
Nothing like a little sunset on the Arkansas river, an abundance of orange german steel, and a cozy bed.

Who enjoys waking up in their bus? Nice cold air, stale gas fumes and old veneer, its humble to have a home away from home. Heres last nights layout, over exposed lighting and no romanticized back window shot, but it shows the joys of that 74-75 full bed on the bottom.

EdZ KG6UTS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

[quote="SamboSamba22"]I have a lady close to the house that is selling a 1974 Campmobile, mileage is just under 100k,

GET IT!!!! I'm new to the forum but have the same '74.

EdZ KG6UTS
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Thank you Tcash.
Super pumped to see you all across the board again, I missed your wisdom, and I'm sure the bus more so.

+1584 cc
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

Nice Sam!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Just a little teaser, I'll say I have validated production of my soon to own and hopefully installed, Roo Bar!!! So pumped. "Who's that idiot with that God-awful bumper?!" "What an ass" Well gents, that's me.

Whatever happened with the roo bar addition? Is it still being made?? Or did you change your mind?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Should I buy this bus?!? '74 Campmobile Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:
Just a little teaser, I'll say I have validated production of my soon to own and hopefully installed, Roo Bar!!! So pumped. "Who's that idiot with that God-awful bumper?!" "What an ass" Well gents, that's me.

Whatever happened with the roo bar addition? Is it still being made?? Or did you change your mind?

Where’d you dig this up outta the grave?!?
Seems like forever ago I was flirting with this idea.
Here’s the scoop; buddy named Scott lives in Oklahoma. He builds things. Good dude. Makes good stuff.

The Roo Bar has been done for months, probably a year. Catch is aside from living 6 hours away, he is lacking the measurements or fitment to the undercarriage whereas his bay is a 70/71, which is pre-beefed up nose area for crash impacts that my 74 has, causing the project to become halted months ago.

It’s funny you ask Kent, dad has been drooling over images (and annoying me) with reaching out to Scott to craft him a full roof rack for his transporter. So, because you held me accountable, and well perhaps dad’s moaning and groaning, I’m calling Scott today. The idea is still super valid, I just haven’t driven up there and gotten it, yet the project began before I had a welder or any sense of the matter, so perhaps this dumb guy here can weld up some mounts... Shocked

Because you know, ever bay owner needs a Kangaroo bar in the delta.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Jump to:
Page 49 of 58

Jump to: