Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake light problem:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbatie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Brake light problem: Reply with quote

I have a 72 bus with no brake lights. The old brake light assembly was weathered and falling apart so my brake lights, tail lights and blinkers only worked half the time. The brake lights rarely worked. I just installed new tail light assembly on both the passenger and driver side. I now have blinkers and tail lights but nothing for brake lights. I can’t find a bad ground anywhere and don’t know where to look next.
Can someone give a list or place to start?
Thanks!
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Break light problem: Reply with quote

Checking brake light function with the key on, right?

With the key on check for power at brake light switch at the master cylinder. If power there, jump the two wires together that connect to the switch and check for brake light action.

If no power at the switches, check for a fuse problem and for power at the fuse box.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Break light problem: Reply with quote

original housings are wired slightly differently than (some/most/all?) replacement housings.
you often need to do minor modification to make things work.
how do you have yours wired?
also, make sure the bulbs are not corroded or worn out at the posts, and are making good contact with the terminals in the bulb holder. or just put new bulbs in.

original housing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

replacement housing:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: