Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare tire storage container DIY
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Does this work for a manual too? In my head i picture the housing for the shift mechanism typically goes down into the back of the rim? Don't have a spare in their now so i forgot exactly what it looks like. Any help would be appreciated.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
Caulking gun? Something I don't usually carry...

Normally we wouldn't either, but since we have a high top, I carry a tube of expoxy and a tube of th sealant, the top is only glued down so if we ever have it come loose for some reason, known to happen before, we could potentially fix it in the field and carry on
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

WandS wrote:
Does this work for a manual too? In my head i picture the housing for the shift mechanism typically goes down into the back of the rim? Don't have a spare in their now so i forgot exactly what it looks like. Any help would be appreciated.

Ours is a manual, I don't know what the autos look like actually under there.
WandS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply. Weekend project for sure. I just gave my 2 containers away to my dad for his yard of course. Need to source another one.
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Quote:
Best $27 mod I have done for the van yet.

Yes, if you don't count the $900 it cost for the rear bumper and spare carrier you need to do first to clear out the space. Wink
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
Quote:

Yes, if you don't count the $900 it cost for the rear bumper and spare carrier you need to do first to clear out the space. Wink

Pathfinder tire carrier is $14 dollars from a junk yard, don't try to challenge my cheapskate ingenuity Laughing
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:
Well the storage bin has been paying dividends lately.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Carrying all these parts and tools has really made traveling less stressful when something goes wrong.

You should add a jack stand to that storage. If you search you can find some fairly small ones that reach high enough for a syncro.
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
You should add a jack stand to that storage. If you search you can find some fairly small ones that reach high enough for a syncro.

Thats a good idea, I have sorta always just kept an eye out but never have seen anything. I dont trust the hi lift to be under it unsupported.
tlbranth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newfisher wrote:
Have you noticed a rise in the coolant temp? I understand they designed the wheels and spare carrier plate with holes to let the hot air escape quicker from the backside of the radiator.

You think the 'engineers' who couldn't design a vehicle without something major breaking or catching fire in 50 miles actually considered this? TeeHee.

1991 Westfailure. 2004 Forester 2.5 engine. 4speed Standard transmission.
tlbranth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JED THE SPREAD wrote:
thasty07 wrote:
Im not totally sure that I believe the tire as being part of the crumple zone protection. People have been pulling the spares out and making their own skid plates for as long as the vans have been produced. Havent heard about an increased injury/mortality rate because of that.

Hardly any of the European spec Syncros have the clam shell fitted and never had a wheel under the front from the factory so I'm with you.

Jed

I hope you used genuine German replacements. They might get you to the next rest area.

1991 Westfailure. 2004 Forester 2.5 engine. 4speed Standard transmission.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

I'm keeping my eye out for a plastic drum but have been doing this in the mean time. $9 holiday wreath storage container. Not water right.

Nice roadside repair!
blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

I did this mod yesterday in preparation for a trip to South America and am excited to have a spot to put all of my spare parts and other van knick knacks. It's such a great idea.

The local craigslist had multiple colors on it, so I opted for black so it blended in and still sort of looked like a tire. It also came with a line around the entire barrel at the 6 3/4 inch mark, so I didn't even have to measure/mark my cut. Used a standard wood saw and viola!

I installed some weather stripping after these pics - not sure if I'll keep that or go with the tubing idea, but it works for now.

Thanks to tim_ha and thasty for the idea.

otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

And this is one that swings down to accept a spare. These came on vans with the rough road package.

To the OP, nice job!

I use one of these tire carriers. They were the stock tire carrier on all Tristar Syncros. The larger size allows for a 27" Grabber tire. I have a round fuel container with an extra 7L of fuel in my 14" alloy there. They occasionally pop up on eBay.

Just a regular guy
thasty07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

blackglasspirate wrote:
I did this mod yesterday in preparation for a trip to South America and am excited to have a spot to put all of my spare parts and other van knick knacks. It's such a great idea.

The local craigslist had multiple colors on it, so I opted for black so it blended in and still sort of looked like a tire. It also came with a line around the entire barrel at the 6 3/4 inch mark, so I didn't even have to measure/mark my cut. Used a standard wood saw and viola!

I installed some weather stripping after these pics - not sure if I'll keep that or go with the tubing idea, but it works for now.

Thanks to tim_ha and thasty for the idea.

Hello from the PanAmerican highway in Baja. Glad to see someone else going with this mod!

So one update for the bin, it's working awesome, but the tubing is not as good as probably weather striping, BUT! I have figured out how to keep it dry. I just put it in upside down and it keeps it totally dry in there. Water has more work to flow up than to run down into it. I also wrapped everything in plastic bags just to be safe but so far so good.
86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

I love this mod but I've been thinking of what I could put outside that would free up space inside and also balance out weight since the spare, for most who do this, is now on the rear. Batteries were my first thought. I've already got my power system complete with a group 29 under the rear bench but if I do it again I'll most definitely put two deep cells in the spare carrier, beefing it up a bit of course, and then not worry about off gassing or losing space inside for batteries.

Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gene l
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

What is the gallon size of the barrel?
newfisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

gene l wrote:
What is the gallon size of the barrel?

blackglasspirate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

thasty07 wrote:

Hello from the PanAmerican highway in Baja. Glad to see someone else going with this mod!

So one update for the bin, it's working awesome, but the tubing is not as good as probably weather striping, BUT! I have figured out how to keep it dry. I just put it in upside down and it keeps it totally dry in there. Water has more work to flow up than to run down into it. I also wrapped everything in plastic bags just to be safe but so far so good.

Thanks for the update! I have some spare tubing and was thinking about giving it a shot but I'm doing a test to see how much the weather stripping works. Never thought about turning it upside down but that's a good idea. We have rain here all week so I threw a couple pieces of paper in the bin and put in in the carrier. I'm gonna check in a few days to see if they got wet.

Have fun in Baja - we were just there for a month in February and loved it!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

And this is one that swings down to accept a spare. These came on vans with the rough road package.

To the OP, nice job!

I use one of these tire carriers. They were the stock tire carrier on all Tristar Syncros. The larger size allows for a 27" Grabber tire. I have a round fuel container with an extra 7L of fuel in my 14" alloy there. They occasionally pop up on eBay.

Sick can! I bought the same from Germany last summer I was in France Smile
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
TKentT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Sick can! I bought the same from Germany last summer I was in France Smile

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but if you carry gasoline there, be aware you have a firebomb under your feet in.the event of a hard front collision...

Some of us boomers recall the demise of the Ford Pinto.....

1986 Doka Transporter, 14" Syncro w/dual lockers -- 60,000km Swedish firetruck...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=682322

30+ VWs before them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: