Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare tire storage container DIY
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

I got a blue 55 gallon drum from a guy who sold car wash products. $25
Cut on the line at 6-3/4” up from the base with a jig saw.
Cut the top about 2” down, then ended up cutting it shorter so it would fit the stock jack, just where the jig saw would ride on the top lip. It gets thick and the blade will slice through the area with the threaded caps, so I avoided that.
Cut the seal to length.
Primed and then painted the exterior with black rubberized undercoating.
Glued the seal in place.
Riveted the latches on.
Filled 2 holes that were drilled in the lid with epoxy (didn’t notice them until I pressed on the lid and it wasn’t air tight)
Added speaker gasket to the lid to take up some slop in the latches.

Main tips are to cut the base first, as has been said, and to position the latches about 3/16” below where they easily rest. Attach the top of the latch to the lid
then mark the flippy part of the latch a little lower than you think. That way it’ll pull and seal tight.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Parts used:
(4) Stainless steel latches
Edge Trim
1/8” or 3/16” rivets - you want them 1/4” long for the body and 3/8” long worked alright for the lid, or shallower but I drilled all the way through the lip.
adhesive for seal
Speaker Gasket 1/8” x 3/8” - This isn’t needed but I had it

I don’t see any reason not to cut the lid as shallow as possible. The overall height is pretty much exactly right. I pushed it all the way toward the driver’s side to give the coolant hoses more room. It’s tight and doesn’t move around at all, and just enough clearance at the steering shaft.

Thanks to everyone who added to this thread and made it dead easy!
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

The spare tire storage bin is one of those things I wanted to install, but it always seemed less important than other mods, jobs and maintenance on the Westy. At the same time, I really wanted one of the "V-band" top barrels which I knew existed but seldom saw. Well Craigslist today rewarded my patience (AKA sloth) and listed a barrel that had this closing feature.

Here it is, (total height 7.125") after being cut down, silicone sealed and screwed:

I have had a mostly complete spare set of "Westy-only" tools sitting in the wings for some time now, awaiting a time I would get this storage bin done and in the meantime, always brought my huge tool chest along on long trips or trips into the no-CAA boondocks. This will be a welcome change that will also house a lot of spare parts previously stored in various nooks throughout the Westy. Thanks for those posting their efforts and pics!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

I am slightly concerned about weight of how much is inside the container. I had a full axle in there but decided to remove it and just carry a spare joint and boots (along with other parts).

Also, if I recall, the original screw was stripped and I drilled and went a size up with a Helicoil. So I am concerned about that holding up too.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I am slightly concerned about weight of how much is inside the container. I had a full axle in there but decided to remove it and just carry a spare joint and boots (along with other parts).

Also, if I recall, the original screw was stripped and I drilled and went a size up with a Helicoil. So I am concerned about that holding up too.

You can easily see 25lbs or more for a spare tire/rim in the clamshell. That 19mm bolt will hold a lot of weight. I wouldn't hesitate to put more weight there. If you stripped the 19mm then I'd look at using a thru bolt if you can manage it. YMMV.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sycolyst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Has anyone modified the clam shell (or storage container) to hold a marine tank with diesel for a diesel heater (CDH)? It seems that this could be a decent place to put the tank ie, easier to fill, no inside fumes, etc.

I'm not there yet, but as I build my van this may prove to be a solution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

Sycolyst wrote:
Has anyone modified the clam shell (or storage container) to hold a marine tank with diesel for a diesel heater (CDH)? It seems that this could be a decent place to put the tank ie, easier to fill, no inside fumes, etc.

There's at least one thread for that.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=585557&highlight=spare+fuel
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Spare tire storage container DIY Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
shagginwagon83 wrote:

You can easily see 25lbs or more for a spare tire/rim in the clamshell. That 19mm bolt will hold a lot of weight. I wouldn't hesitate to put more weight there. If you stripped the 19mm then I'd look at using a thru bolt if you can manage it. YMMV.

Thumbs Up

You could pick the whole van up by that one bolt. Any weight that you can physically lift into the clamshell is going to be perfectly fine.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: