Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stalling and running rough when hot
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject: Stalling and running rough when hot Reply with quote

So I recently bought a 1991 Vanagon GL 4 speed. It starts great, but after running it for a while, it starts running rough, and eventually starts to stall unless I feather the throttle. Also, all 4 spark plugs are extremely sooty.

I am at a loss as to where to start troubleshooting, but I replaced the spark plug wires and spark plugs, air filter, distributor cap and rotor are almost new.

Can someone give me a few hints as to what might be cause either or both of these issues? I am mechanically inclined, so that is thankfully not an impediment!

Thanks in advance!

sERGE
Pchill2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling and running rough when hot Reply with quote

I would first take a look at the distributor cap. It’s new but it still could have a crack in it. When the engine heats up the crack gap opens up which causes the engine to run rough.

If that looks good I would throw an O2 sensor at it and see if that helps. On startup the ECU uses tabulated fuel and ignition values until coolant temps warm up at which point it switches to O2 sensor data to determine AFR. A faulty O2 sensor will cause the engine to do what you describe.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling and running rough when hot Reply with quote

Coolant temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator, injectors, fuel pump, fuel filter, and ecu are all things you can replace at one go if you want to try the parts shotgun approach. Probably should do the regulator, pump, and filter anyway if you just got it, even if it was running smoothly.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling and running rough when hot Reply with quote

I would start with testing the Temp II sensor as outlined in the Bentley. Then move on to the O2 sensor testing. It should all be outlined on this forum as well.
Good luck!
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling and running rough when hot Reply with quote

You should test the coax for the O2 sensor to make sure the signal lead (center wire) is not shorted out to ground.
michaelasnider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling and running rough when hot Reply with quote

http://oldbluesblog.com/files/DigifantProTrainingManual_SingleSided.pdf

This is the best place to start with some troubleshooting. See: 'Poor Performance - At Operating Temperature'

- Basic Engine Adjustments
- Throttle Switch
- Oxygen Sensor System
- Ignition System
- Fuel System
- Idle Stabilization System

All the recommendations above from others are captured in here, but this will give you methodical approach and you basically just need a multimeter, a test light, and a jar.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stalling and running rough when hot Reply with quote

So now that I bought 4 new fuel injectors, but have not installed them, the van has STOPPED stalling! Don't ask me why, but I ran it for about an hour driving in highway and around town, and it never even sputtered once. I am going to pull the plugs and clean them this weekend, remove the old fouling, and see if its running any cleaner. I have a suspicion:
I *think* it may have had too much oil?! I changed the oil and tranny fluid the second I got the van, and if memory serves me, I think I put in 4.5 quarts? I put in what the Bentley said I needed.

Anyway, I noticed I am running about a half quart low (if the dipstick is to be believed!) and now miraculously its running and not stalling.

I have done a few things though . . . I added 16 oz of Seafoam to the gas about 2 weeks ago and refilled with regular (87 octane). I also added 6 oz to the motor oil just to clean out any gunk in the crankcase. Yes I know that the gunk is what keeps that engine from bleeding itself dry, but I was desperate!

I am going to do an oil change this weekend if I can find a good oil filter. I'll see if O'Reilly's can order one and get it to me quick. As a lot of folks have seen on their own vans, the oil light blinks ocassionally on my van too, so I am thinking I may just change all the O2 sensors and pressure monitors anyway.
If I start to experience the stalling again, I will update!

As always, THANK YOU ALL FOR THE KNOWLEDGE YOU SHARE!! Seriously, THANK YOU!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: