Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing Chevy S10 front shocks on a Vanagon?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Installing Chevy S10 front shocks on a Vanagon? Reply with quote

Yes, I searched.

I am lowering my Van with H&R springs - purple. I have read lots of threads, and talked to people about what they have used, for springs and shocks, etc.

I have come to the conclusion that I think I want to use shorter shocks (compressed and extended lengths) and firmer valving than what people with the Bilstein HDs refer to as 'soft' or stock-like.

Anyway, in researching, I haven't found any posts about the actual installation of S10 shocks, and wondering if anyone has done it and documented it or could offer insights?

I am looking at S10 Bilsteins, and wondering also about Rancho Adjustables (though it looks like those are only for lifted S10s, but might be a good Syncro option!) or some ProComps.

Thanks!
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! I posted this long thing about S10 springs, when you were asking about shocks.
Nevermind, I have nothing there....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some research on shocks a while back. I couldn't find anything that matched both the upper and lower shock mounts without modification. If you're willing to do some fabrication, you can make anything work. I don't believe S10 shocks are a direct fit.
greggearhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I just heard back from someone that did it and they said the same basic thing. S10 shocks are great if you are going REALLY low (lower than my uncut H&Rs or any other normal lowering springs) but you have to modify the upper and lower mounts to work.

I think I will just contact Bilstein and have them valve some Vanagon ones to a more sport-oriented valving for me. No idea what to tell them.
1991 Vanagon Syncro Westy

Period Lights, VW & Porsche wheels and Recaro/Scheel Seats for sale

https://www.facebook.com/greggearhead

http://greggearhead.com/soco-swap---september-vw-swap-meet.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: