Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subarugears Bus Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a57oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

A huge thanks to Captincanuck for the info on the intake elbow. I picked up the Saturn parts at a local Pick N Pull and it is a perfect fit. I had started on an throttle body reverser with a built in air port but as soon as i saw what he had done I scrapped that idea. Fantastic tidbit of info.
Peter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

pkrboo wrote:

And you had the space to use this without a throttle body reverser because the subarugear box pushes the engine back further than normal?

Correct

a57oval wrote:
A huge thanks to Captincanuck for the info on the intake elbow. I picked up the Saturn parts at a local Pick N Pull and it is a perfect fit. I had started on an throttle body reverser with a built in air port but as soon as i saw what he had done I scrapped that idea. Fantastic tidbit of info.
Peter

Glad it worked out for you. I haven't put to many k's (miles) on mine yet, but the CVs don't appear to be objecting to there new angle that results from the output flanges being further back. Time will tell
lolight70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

U can also use the oem early liberty(legacy) intake pipe, its similar to the Saturn u r showing
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Pictures of this past weekends actions;
Finished up the wiring for the cluster. Hope I measured everything correct and this thing still fits in the dash! (Lots of Subaru wiring harness was reused in this project)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Had some water coming in behind the directional from a crack, so fixed that up and installed new gaskets

Replaced the slider nylon block

Finished up the wiring for the BMW power window mod. Installed the switches in a spare ashtray front I had laying around (Need to find a plug for that hole now, and it's proving difficult if I don't want 60 of them)

Installed a clock in the headliner

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Be sure to lube the track that the nylon block slides on.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

Replaced the slider nylon block

Some cool projects in there.

I don't think that nylon block is seated all the way in the track in this picture.

It should be all the way in the track, not rubbing on the outer edge of the top ridge.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
^I tried to edit that, but it was to old. The elbow was actually from a Saturn (GM). Don't think they ever came to the UK. PN is 24408492

what model in particular? just trying to figure out a vehicle from over here that might be suitable. pick and pulls over here dont really run the the same way as over there.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Googling the part number brings up the Saturn L series, so you might look at Opel/Vauxhall Vectras from about 2000-2002 and similar vintage Saab 9-3/9-5 cars.
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Googling the part number brings up the Saturn L series, so you might look at Opel/Vauxhall Vectras from about 2000-2002 and similar vintage Saab 9-3/9-5 cars.

cheers thanks, i need to do some research when i get home from work.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

I don't think that nylon block is seated all the way in the track in this picture.

It should be all the way in the track, not rubbing on the outer edge of the top ridge.

Interesting, I will investigate. Thought there was a lip in the top of the block for this reason. But I could be mistaken. Was pretty deep into the "2-4" by this point in the X-long weekend Laughing
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

I have found a couple of possibles here in the UK

AND looking at these now i am wondering if a FI S boot of a VW will also work?
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Interesting, I will investigate. Thought there was a lip in the top of the block for this reason. But I could be mistaken. Was pretty deep into the "2-4" by this point in the X-long weekend Laughing
A "2-4" of Moosehead probably kicks a bit! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Link

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Link

lol This is great!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

Good call. Upon closer inspection with fresh eyes you were correct. All good now.
Got my rims back from being power coated and installed the new General Grabbers. "Everything is coming up Millhouse" Laughing

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

good looking bus. you should be proud

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Looking good!

I see you were checking yourself out in your passenger side mirror. Laughing
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
good looking bus. you should be proud

What he said.... Now go score another 2-4.......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
albe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Thanks for posting all this info! I found a 73 camper, no engine/transmission with a nice bod Smile and a friend getting ready to junk a Subaru due to rot. Feel like I've got a fighting chance of putting this together. Thanks again!
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Gauge installed and looking pretty slick if I do say so myself

Cleaned up all the chrome and installed a co-pilot.

Nice to go to the mall in the bus, never a problem finding it Cool Also nice for a nap after I devour a cinnabon and slip into a sugar coma

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: