Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subarugears Bus Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Great job - cluster looks great!!
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Back with more brake questions for you guys:
I am having an issue where when I brake, the pedal doesn't return all the way up when released. The brakes are working great, lots of vacuum, no air in the lines, tested the booster (several pages back) and it's good. The problem is when I stop at a light or something and release my foot, the brakes stick on and hold me there (pedal will stay about 1" down from the top). I can only release them by steping hard on them, then the pedal returns up to the top.

What's new:
Rear cylinders
Seals on calipers
Pads and shoes
Fluid
All rubber lines

Any suggestions on what to try before I just replace the master cylinder?
Could it be possible that I have to much vacuum from the Subi that it's pulling the pedal down even when my foots not on it?
kaiisons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

What about the spring under the pedal?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Can you pull the pedal up with your toe and release the brake?

I had this problem in my '73 some time back. I could pull it the rest of the way up with my foot and when I did, it would feel a little notchy.

So I lubed up all the pedal components, pivots, etc with some silicone spray. I even tucked the little red hose into the boot where the mechanism enters the booster.

After doing this a few times over a few days, it loosened up and no longer needed to be manually returned.

I was advised here that the silicone spray lube was to be used because anything with petroleum distillates would damage the internal components of the booster. Look at the labels, many silicone sprays do contain petroleum. I think I ended up with WD40 brand silicone spray lube. (It was a "name brand.")

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

kaiisons wrote:
What about the spring under the pedal?

I would think that if the spring were the problem, it would be more consistent. Also the pedal returns up fine when the pin is removed connecting it to the booster.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

I had this problem in my '73 some time back. I could pull it the rest of the way up with my foot and when I did, it would feel a little notchy.

So I lubed up all the pedal components, pivots, etc with some silicone spray. I even tucked the little red hose into the boot where the mechanism enters the booster.

After doing this a few times over a few days, it loosened up and no longer needed to be manually returned.

I was advised here that the silicone spray lube was to be used because anything with petroleum distillates would damage the internal components of the booster. Look at the labels, many silicone sprays do contain petroleum. I think I ended up with WD40 brand silicone spray lube. (It was a "name brand.")

It can be pulled up with a finger or toe but doesn't feel at all "notchy". I will give the silicone a try regardless. Thanks
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

It can be pulled up with a finger or toe but doesn't feel at all "notchy". I will give the silicone a try regardless. Thanks

Still no luck. Lubed it up good but I see no improvement. Will try bleeding again, but with a friend instead of the pressure bleeder, might make a difference? After that I think I will try disconnecting the booster and see how it behaves. If the issue goes away, time for a new booster. If it remains, time for a new master. Maybe its not a huge problem, but when you are doing 80+mph down the QEW you got to be 100% confident in your brakes Wink
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

captincanuck wrote:

Still no luck. Lubed it up good but I see no improvement. Will try bleeding again, but with a friend instead of the pressure bleeder, might make a difference? After that I think I will try disconnecting the booster and see how it behaves. If the issue goes away, time for a new booster. If it remains, time for a new master. Maybe its not a huge problem, but when you are doing 80+mph down the QEW you got to be 100% confident in your brakes Wink

Pressure bleeding is the best method, due to the master cylinder sitting so low.
Bleeding is not going to have any effect on the brake pedal returning to rest, waist of time.

I will try disconnecting the booster and see how it behaves.
Disconnect the brake rod from the booster and try the pedal. It should be smooth and return on its own. Check return spring #12 and lube #9-11.
thnks jersy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pkrboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

where did you plumb the top and bottom connections of the coolant tank to?
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

[quote="Tcash"]
captincanuck wrote:

Disconnect the brake rod from the booster and try the pedal. It should be smooth and return on its own. Check return spring #12 and lube #9-11.

Yeah I tried that, returns smooth and had no binding. Maybe the spring has weakened slightly? Will swap it out before replacing the more expensive bits.
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

pkrboo wrote:
where did you plumb the top and bottom connections of the coolant tank to?

Top "T"ed to the supply feeding the TB off the manifold. Bottom "T" to the heater return line. The small detour doesn't seem to be effecting the opening of the thermostat, as I still haven't gotten the temp over 190 and the fans have yet to come on. An no It's not still snowing up here Laughing Was 33C (91F) today
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

The booster pushrod just rides in the master cylinder piston. That should not be your problem. This is a pic of an early one same principal.

I could see maybe the other end of the booster binding. It has a couple of return springs. One other thing may be the breather hose is plugged.

thesykboy can you show him where the brake booster breather hose goes?

Good luck
Tcash
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info Tcash. I adjusted the clearance between the rod and master cylinder and it seems to have made the problem worse. If I slightly press the pedal it now gets sucked down locking the brakes up. Just to confirm my suspicion I flipped the vacuum check valve around so no vacuum was going to the booster. Everything worked properly after this, although it obviously required more force without the boosters help. So even thou the booster checked out a couple months back, I how suspect it to be leaking vacuum in some such way to be pulling the master in more then it should with minimal brake application. Sooooo time for a booster I think

Also checked the breather. Never found the end, but it's clear of obstructions.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

A funky booster can cause strange problems. I had an issue with a "good" booster a few years ago that was holding vacuum but not releasing the brakes. Vacuum seemed to build up and unknown to me the brakes were slightly dragging. I adjusted everything I could and put on a new master. Nothing worked until I had the booster rebuilt.

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Time to tackle the seat upgrade. Did the Chrysler Town & Country "stow n go" ones the Vanagon peeps seem to like. Came out great.
Before

After

I will put some install details in the "Other seats that fit my bus" thread some time next week for anyone that might want to install these seats.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Slick seats capitan. I've been looking for a set for my bus. I want the tan leather. Do they raise up the seat height much? I'm 6'4" and can't rally go any higher.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
Slick seats capitan. I've been looking for a set for my bus. I want the tan leather. Do they raise up the seat height much? I'm 6'4" and can't rally go any higher.

Craig

$240 CDN for the pair from LKQ and I had them in 2 days. Hard to beat that price. All the measuring I did came out to be the same as with my old seats. Some slight differences because of the firmness compared to the (at least mine) very springy bus seats. I had and still have 37" from the rear of the seat to the head liner. Lost 1/4" in head room thou due to the firmness.
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Wow that's a great price. What is lkq?

Link to the engine swap:

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
Wow that's a great price. What is lkq?

They are in Ottawa as well so I figured you had heard about them. AKA dominion auto
https://www.dominionauto.com/
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subarugears Bus Build Reply with quote

Sweet! Been looking into this as well as our seats are in good nick from an upholstery standpoint, but very springy too, plus the driver's seat back is askew - once you notice it, you always notice it. 😀

Thanks for posting!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: