Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kermie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

My favorite bus. Build in Holland by Marco from VW Classics Garage. I believe it sits on a complete T2B chassis welded underneath the original chassis.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Sundail Camper sold
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

The script from a Rabbit pickup tailgate grafted into the back window panel is a pretty cool detail.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

veedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

built this years ago, is on the east coast somewhere now
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

got this bus with nothing under it at all ,I had a nice early bay beam with new ball joints...so it went in as well as a big nut tranny,rear end clicked one notch... I don't have any shocks yet, need to weld in the rear upper shock mounts ,as they were cut off.

at least this many beers tall

1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

veedub wrote:

Is this the one that was driving through some mountain backroads many years ago and twisted up a springplate? It had a Quaife differential as I recall.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

Nope. Answered my own question.

KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

This one will be getting a late bay chassis with a tdi and 6 rib limited slip differential. Unless I stumble upon another syncro to sacrifice.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
... twisted up a springplate?

With RGB?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
... twisted up a springplate?

With RGB?

As I recall, yes.

I can't find the discussion, but I think it had a high torque engine with RGB's and locking diff.
klcarrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

off-road single cab

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...db5f4aefa7

?

- Bay Bus Pinion Nut Socket

- 64-67 big nut (rear) drums and brake parts, 46mm axle nuts (Big Nuts)

--
'55 Wolfburg Pannel Project
'55 Wolfsburg SC Project
'71 Westy
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

klcarrie wrote:
off-road single cab

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...db5f4aefa7

?

That would be it. That guy has not visited here in many years.
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:

This one will be getting a late bay chassis with a tdi and 6 rib limited slip differential. Unless I stumble upon another syncro to sacrifice.

Well, I found a syncro. So this will become a syncro. Hopefully the welding will be done by late spring and I will probably have to sacrifice my wife’s bus to build the drivetrain but it’ll be worth it in the end.
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:
KrisBalfe wrote:

Well, I found a syncro. So this will become a syncro. Hopefully the welding will be done by late spring and I will probably have to sacrifice my wife’s bus to build the drivetrain but it’ll be worth it in the end.

please please please do a build thread on that!!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

I've always dreamed of building a syncro split. Curious to see how it goes. I'm building something sort of crazy. Trying to figure out how to get a bit more clearance, but not too much because I still want to have good handling characteristics at high speed. I need something that can be adjusted up and down I guess Smile

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

rustybus wrote:
I've always dreamed of building a syncro split. Curious to see how it goes. I'm building something sort of crazy. Trying to figure out how to get a bit more clearance, but not too much because I still want to have good handling characteristics at high speed. I need something that can be adjusted up and down I guess Smile

I’ve been really happy with the bay syncro conversion I did and as rusty as this bus was I’d have been replacing the entire chassis any way, seemed like an easy choice. I hope to keep the lift to a minimum too for handling and aesthetic reasons. I’ll hopefully find some time towards the end of the month to get back to the bus.
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:
rustybus wrote:

I’ve been really happy with the bay syncro conversion I did and as rusty as this bus was I’d have been replacing the entire chassis any way, seemed like an easy choice. I hope to keep the lift to a minimum too for handling and aesthetic reasons. I’ll hopefully find some time towards the end of the month to get back to the bus.

Cool, looking forward to seeing what you do.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

zehbeh wrote:
64 ragtop volks wrote:

Reduction boxes IRS. What a cool setup. Do you have any more pictures and details about this?

Outside of new RGB designs (chain or additional gears) this looks like a survivable solution.

Let's see the KCW entry, or updates on this.
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

How's the reduction box IRS bus doing? Have many miles on it at this point?

How's the syncro split conversion coming?

I'm contemplating some lifted spindles for the Rustybus before Shasta to keep the tires from rubbing the seat stands. Wondering how they will affect the handling, especially at high speed.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: