Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

I believe there is a set of RGB’s that you’re speaking of out there.

I went a different route for my lift and ended up here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:
camped out last weekend at the ranch

I love the look of your setup. Too bad someone can't make a RGB-RGB that had 3 gears stacked and bolted all normal but rotation of crown was Beetle forward.
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

camped out last weekend at the ranch
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

when start to hear a pop when taking off in 1st gear, its time to start planning a weekend to tear down to replace axels, and the fulcrum plates. it was my daily driver for quite awile, i would get about 10k to12k miles before it was time for a tear down. then i got another bus up and running so i could try few ideas... tried irs set up with an 002 irs with special bearing carrier to use the earlier swing axel nose cone, special bell housing that bolted to solid rear mount, which pushed motor back about an inch cause the 002 is longer, used the loose fit high angle cv joints. that didnt work very well, drive line angles were just too much. went to beetle irs, flipped ring gear, chopped up a set of big nut redux boxes, bored the redux boxes to use a trans axel flange seal, welded a 930 cv flange to custom stub axel and used 930 cv flanges on the trans. high angle loose fit 930 cv joints, had a set of custom slip joint axels made using 1350 1 ton u joints with 930 flanges. similiar set up to the s.a. fleetline buses that use this idea. its been pretty good set up so far. it would have been alot easier to pull off the wheel arches, run 3 x 3 trailing arms and have the tires poke out from the body, but i wanted a more stockish look to the body lol
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:
the only way to not have all that exta camber in a swing axel would be to lower the trans, you could use a bug nose cone and modify a solid rear mount to lower trans about 1 1/2" or so, but that also lowers the motor and then your engine seals will need some extra material around them to seal. the added camber will wear out axels, fulcrum plates, the side gears, and wear out rear tires but thats the price to pay for lifting a bus. bummer that nobody makes aftermarket axels for redux box swing axels. i did several trips 1/2 way across the country and back, texas to calif, texas to florida, texas to new mexico, texas to eastern serrias. been stopped by the cops asking about the rear tires about to fall off, poped off hubcap and showed him lugs were tight lol. the easiest way around the added camber would be little taller tires in rear so you wouldnt need to reindex spring plates as much to get bus to sit level. a reverse notch spring plate does not adress angle of axels, the notch is just to clear the bump stop

How much is your split lifted? Did you ever have an issues driving so far with the positive camber? I've driven this bus all across california, oregon, idaho, and washington and plan on doing that more but on long trips like that reliability is key so I dont want to do anything that might sacrifice that significantly.

Appreciate the info as well Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

the only way to not have all that exta camber in a swing axel would be to lower the trans, you could use a bug nose cone and modify a solid rear mount to lower trans about 1 1/2" or so, but that also lowers the motor and then your engine seals will need some extra material around them to seal. the added camber will wear out axels, fulcrum plates, the side gears, and wear out rear tires but thats the price to pay for lifting a bus. bummer that nobody makes aftermarket axels for redux box swing axels. i did several trips 1/2 way across the country and back, texas to calif, texas to florida, texas to new mexico, texas to eastern serrias. been stopped by the cops asking about the rear tires about to fall off, poped off hubcap and showed him lugs were tight lol. the easiest way around the added camber would be little taller tires in rear so you wouldnt need to reindex spring plates as much to get bus to sit level. a reverse notch spring plate does not adress angle of axels, the notch is just to clear the bump stop
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

seshbus wrote:

I dont know if this is a stupid question or not but would it be possible to use notched spring plates (used for lowering - but flip them) to raise the rear? I dont want a crazy lift in the rear, just want the rear to be level with the front with out crazy positive camber.

The spring plates, notched or not, do not determine the camber, that is caused by the fact that the rear axles only pivot towards the inner end & the tire moves on an arc from that point. When you lower the vehicle, you get negative camber, when you raise it, you get positive camber.

The only real ways to solve this is to…

A)return the vehicle to stock height.
B)convert to IRS.
C)adjust the height of the transmission (up for lowering, down for raising).

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:
i have early bay front beam ( raises the front about 2" ) and re indexed the spring plates in the rear ( big nut redux boxes), coil over shocks in front and stock style shocks in the rear. running bug smoothies in front and crows feet rims in rear. no rubbing on the street, going back to big bend state park for thanksgiving weekend to put it to the test. we went last year and had a blast, took a few of the 4wd hi clearance trails, and buses did great.

Is your positive camber an issue? I just raised the rear of my 67 two inner splines and one outer for a 2.5" lift and the positive camber appears pretty bad. All my neighbors and friends who have seen it are pretty concerned Laughing

I dont know if this is a stupid question or not but would it be possible to use notched spring plates (used for lowering - but flip them) to raise the rear? I dont want a crazy lift in the rear, just want the rear to be level with the front with out crazy positive camber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

Just lifted the rear of my 67. Two inner splines and one outer spline for a 2.5" lift. I have only driven it around the neighborhood but it feels good so far. Not sure if the positive camber is going to even out or if its too much.

Update from my previous posts about the rubbing in the front - Ended up getting 15" wheels and 1/8" spacers to clear the top of the lifted spindles. They don't rub but are close.
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
15's might just squeak in there.

I am going to borrow a pair of 15s to try from someone hopefully next week but I was curious about what others with lifted spindles from WW have done or if they encountered the same issue at all.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

seshbus wrote:
rustybus wrote:
I was able to get a set of raised spindles made and purchased years ago. I put them on the day before the Shasta Snow Trip and was a bit worried that it would change the handling of the bus. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't, but did give me a noticeable lift, removed all scraping and rubbing, and made the bus look much less saggy in the front.

I just put a set of 2.5" raised spindles on my 67 and I am having rubbing issues on the inside of my tire.

What size wheel/tire combo are you running? I have 14" wheels with General grabbers. This set up currently wont work due to the rubbing, so my options I assume are spacers, or 15" wheels. Is that what you have/would work?

15's might just squeak in there.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

Bschuh66 wrote:
One inner spline.

So you only rotated the inner spline one notch to the left? Do you know what angle your pre-load is?

I have read you should do a mix of inner and outer splines when raising or lowering the rear to avoid sagging. I am a novice when it comes to this so any advice is appreciated. Thanks
seshbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

rustybus wrote:
I was able to get a set of raised spindles made and purchased years ago. I put them on the day before the Shasta Snow Trip and was a bit worried that it would change the handling of the bus. I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't, but did give me a noticeable lift, removed all scraping and rubbing, and made the bus look much less saggy in the front.

I just put a set of 2.5" raised spindles on my 67 and I am having rubbing issues on the inside of my tire.

What size wheel/tire combo are you running? I have 14" wheels with General grabbers. This set up currently wont work due to the rubbing, so my options I assume are spacers, or 15" wheels. Is that what you have/would work?

rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:
it seems pretty good so far, with the higher center of gravity you just have to be aware of terrain. when i had just had a bay beam and reindexed springplates with stock redux swingaxel it was a little sketchy with the added camber at times and eating up fulcrum plates and spade end of axels

My superdiff already eats axles and fulcrums so I'm good there Wink

www.rustybus.com www.shastasnowtrip.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

it seems pretty good so far, with the higher center of gravity you just have to be aware of terrain. when i had just had a bay beam and reindexed springplates with stock redux swingaxel it was a little sketchy with the added camber at times and eating up fulcrum plates and spade end of axels
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

Did you have the earlier version of that setup at BBB a couple years ago? That looked like a good way to go. I've always questioned the value of the engine trans drop because those were still your low point, although I guess you could make up some height with taller tires then. How long have you been running this since you added the u joints? Is it pretty reliable now? Any drawbacks other than things being totally custom?

64 ragtop volks wrote:

cut and turned bay beam, lifted spindles in front. early bug irs with flipped ring, slip joint axels, 1350 u joints( 1 ton) with 930 flanges, the 930 cv were not liking running at 24 degrees, i chopped off redux boxes and bored for a seal for the stub axel and mated a 930 flange to it, early bay trailing arms. some take the easy way and drop trans and motor, but i wanted pure suspension lift. down side is redux boxes will not get and gear oil from trans, and its always a kinda messy job overfilling redux boxes to make sure they are full. vw did make a setup kinda like this on sa fleetline for a couple years in mid 70s

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

cut and turned bay beam, lifted spindles in front. early bug irs with flipped ring, slip joint axels, 1350 u joints( 1 ton) with 930 flanges, the 930 cv were not liking running at 24 degrees, i chopped off redux boxes and bored for a seal for the stub axel and mated a 930 flange to it, early bay trailing arms. some take the easy way and drop trans and motor, but i wanted pure suspension lift. down side is redux boxes will not get and gear oil from trans, and its always a kinda messy job overfilling redux boxes to make sure they are full. vw did make a setup kinda like this on sa fleetline for a couple years in mid 70s
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
What exactly does "one click" mean? One outer spline? One inner spline? a combination of them?

I hear "one click" all too often, with little clarity on definition. One outer spline in the "up" direction is a pretty big jump on a stock, RGB equipped bus. Gonna have some massive positive camber after that.

To the front end lift, I guess it depends on what you want for an end result. Lift spindles will give more actual lift, and not alter ride quality from stock (mostly). Installing a ball joint beam will lift a split about 1 1/2" if all of the torsion leaves are good, and will result in a smoother ride.

These guys are into looks, not driveability. As long as they keep lifting them, I can keep grifting them.

That was not a question I asked. And you are wrong on this one.
rustybus
Shasta Snow Trip Newt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

64 ragtop volks wrote:

That looks like some massive clearance. What did you do to get more clearance in the rear? I've put 2" lifted spindles on the front of mine which has helped a lot. I don't want mine too high as I take some pretty fast corners on the dirt, but getting the rear up to match the front of mine would help get through the deeper snow where my belly pans turn me into a sled and get me through through the deeper ruts and rocks.

I had a friend that lifted a bus once that could drive over a 5-gallon bucket standing upright. Looks like yours might do that. We were once cruising around off-road in Northern Arizona and an 8" diameter tree had fallen across the road and was held about two or three feet above the road, propped up by the small branches on it. He drove right up and over it no problem and crushed it down enough the other two of us could manage to get over. A chain saw would have been a better solution, but we didn't have one.

As far as the guy that says people are all into looks, not drivability, I'm guessing he is just a troll? I know about 40 buses heading on a trip in two weeks that would beg to differ on that. I'd put my bus against his in a drivability contest covering city, highway, high speed off-road, and technical off-road use. Mine isn't best at any one of them but is pretty darn good at all of them overall, and having just rolled my odometer to 000000 for the third time on my bus I guess it must be at least a little drivable Smile

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lifted busses ( not big meats under stock suspension) Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
What exactly does "one click" mean? One outer spline? One inner spline? a combination of them?

I hear "one click" all too often, with little clarity on definition. One outer spline in the "up" direction is a pretty big jump on a stock, RGB equipped bus. Gonna have some massive positive camber after that.

To the front end lift, I guess it depends on what you want for an end result. Lift spindles will give more actual lift, and not alter ride quality from stock (mostly). Installing a ball joint beam will lift a split about 1 1/2" if all of the torsion leaves are good, and will result in a smoother ride.

These guys are into looks, not driveability. As long as they keep lifting them, I can keep grifting them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: