Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Data on 8" driving lights & radiator efficiency?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
michaeltag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Data on 8" driving lights & radiator efficiency? Reply with quote

I think the South African Grille is a great idea for lights but it's kind of expensive by the time you buy all of the high power lights for it.
I thought it better to use the lights that I still have that hardly got used on my old Toyota 4runner before I rolled it back in 98. They are really nice PIAA Super 80 lights with hi and low beams. The low beams have a sharp cutoff with 90watts and the high beams fill the world in front of you with light with 135 watts.
I am thinking of using the GoWesty plate steel front bumper and the Rocky Mountain Westy Grille Guard (that has two light tabs) for mounting them.

My questions is: The radiator is both above and below the confines of the grille guard, but I'm not sure which is the most important half. I can mount the lights by either hanging them (preferred) or perching them on top of the grille guard (less protection for the lights). Should I be concerned about blocking airflow to the radiator if I hang two 8" round lights between the top of the grille guard and the bumper?
Am I over-concerned here? Will either just mean my fan will kick on a bit more often? Anyone done some actual measurements on this? I want a good light installation, but I don't want to cause overheating.
Here is a picture of the grille guard, where someone put small lights on top:
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/546acce7e4b0...rmat=1000w
I am looking at hanging a pair of 8-inch round lights below that tubular grille guard, that would be in front of the lower grille. They would therefore be protected by the grille guard.
I checked with PIAA and they are reversible.
Interested in your thoughts!

Last edited by michaeltag on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8" is probably overkill, but I wouldn't worry about blocking the radiator. I've had 6" Hellas in front of my lower grill for about five years, and had no appreciable reduction in cooling efficiency, even with the AC running on 90+ degree days.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot imagine some 8" lights creating overheating issues.

This Summer I drove from NJ to Great Falls Montana in my Van. It was heavy laden inside with 6 plus a large dog. Mountains of stuff to feed, clothe and house those 6. Plus a rack on the front and rear heavily packed.

I Drove through hot traffic jams in Chicago, across North Dakota in 97* heat and never ventured near hot except when stopped in traffic, the radiator fan would kick on.

I had this on the front, initially I worried about running hot but soon realized it made no difference in running temps!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After unloading four people and mountains of their crap in
Great Falls ..... my Wife, my dog and I ventured another 5000 miles with this on the front, again, no cooling issues.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Hella 3000s on my Vanagon and they are backed up tight against the body where they maximally block the air. Not the intention, but if they were farther out, faster air could come around behind them more easily. These lights are among the largest aux lights you can buy, and they've produced no issues despite the long mountain grades and passes that characterize our summer travels.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: