Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propane furnace questions?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Hey all,
I currently have an infa-red fireplace in my bus just sitting on the sink. It is for 400sq/ft. Im not sure how its gonna do when it gets real cold. Plus it needs electricity. I have just re-installed my propane tank and would like to use it for boondocking. The heater that was in my bus from the PO was a gas heater that i never got working because it sketched me out. So, what is an affordable propane heater can i buy? Ive looked and am only coming across larger styles for big rvs. I wasjust hoping somebody knew of a good one that is commonly used in our beloved bays.
Thanks in advance!
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

a lot of people have had good luck with the Mr. Buddy line of heaters

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

X2. I have the compact Mr buddy heater and I love it-it keeps the bus nice and warm doesn't take up a lot of space and uses very little propane. in hindsight one of the larger versions might have been nicer because I believe it offers the ability to control the temperature but for what we use it for this little one is perfect.
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

I have the bigger Mr. Buddy. I was afraid it would melt something. Where do you put it? Do you have it hooked ip to the on board propane. Do you carry a co detector? How much of a window do you keep open. Heating with propane is sorta sketchy to me.
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

I know folks who leave a window cracked and run the little buddy in their Vanagon with no issues -- the things have some pretty cool safety features that shut off the unit if it tips or if it detects low oxygen. I would think a crack in the top tent fabric would let hot air out and allow some cold (fresh) air to sink into the van and keep things totally safe.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Buddy heaters are the way to go. I have the Big Buddy heater. It's a little big
But very versatile, has excellent tip over shutoff, and oxygen depletion sensor.
safety. Before my Bn4 was fully working I have used it indoor with just one element on. That's really all you need. So really that size is adequate. That size is called Buddy. However. The most use I've got from it is outside. The heat is nice while you build a fire. Or under a canopy when it rains. Also great when there is a burn restriction like The PNW did this year. You can really feel the heat retention under a canopy. So for outside its nice to have the Big Buddy.
I would never attempt to sleep with this thing on. Merely just a warm up before bed or in morning. And of course keep ventilation in mind. This is true even when not using a heater. Surprises me how many people don't vent a tent. Since you mentioned Boondocking. Get some nice rectangle North Face
Type sleeping bags that can be zipped together. Buy one of them rated 30 degree and one rated 15 degree. This allows you to flip them. They also pack down very small. If you ever need more warmth in the sleeping bag, layer blankets inside the bag. Not on top of the bag.

(Oh just saw the other replies) as to where to put it? What kind of layout do you have inside your bus. Your Ventilation question. Jalousie window? Pop top?
What ya got?

http://www.mrheater.com/big-buddy-portable-heater.html

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Ok Westy. Just saw your tag line.
Pop your top and unzip the window just enough to fit a basketball through
Open up the windows just enough to fit a fist through. Slider or Jalousie type Windows.

Just put it in on the floor or up on the counter top.

I don't recommend driving or sleeping with it on. Although I did one time drive with it on while it was on the floor in back by the Z bed. Pretty stable. But seemed like a dumb thing to do if I had to make an emergency maneuver. Happy trails.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Ok Westy. Just saw your tag line.
Pop your top and unzip the window just enough to fit a basketball through
Open up the windows just enough to fit a fist through. Slider or Jalousie type Windows.

Just put it in on the floor or up on the counter top.

I don't recommend driving or sleeping with it on. Although I did one time drive with it on while it was on the floor in back by the Z bed. Pretty stable. But seemed like a dumb thing to do if I had to make an emergency maneuver. Happy trails.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Please don't tempt me by using propane while sleeping or driving

-Mr Darwin
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

So you have/had a "gas" heater?...meaning gasoline as in the stock type...or gas meaning natural gas?

Natural gas is no more or less dangerous than propane.

If you have the stock gas furnace...fix it. Worth having. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
So you have/had a "gas" heater?...meaning gasoline as in the stock type...or gas meaning natural gas?

CNG is much less dangerous than propane in enclosed spaces, but I don't use either while sleeping or moving...on cars or boats
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
raygreenwood wrote:

CNG is much less dangerous than propane in enclosed spaces, but I don't use either while sleeping or moving...on cars or boats

Always an opportunity to learn......why is CNG less dangerous than propane in an enclosed space?..02?....CO2? .....flammability?
Thanks! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

The heater that was in the bus was gasoline. It scared me. It was made in cleveland ohio. When i replaced the gas lines i took it out.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

I too have the Big Buddy, and despite the low oxygen sensor and tip shut off, I still wouldn't want to go to sleep with it running.

Having said that, I would think that only running the single burner, on low, would heat up a Bay pretty quick and keep it at a nice comfortable level all night (unless you were in brutal cold temps, then scale up, I guess).

Personally, I would prefer (and intend to buy) an Espar Airtronic, which has a separate, isolated combustion chamber which is supplied and vented to the outside (much like a home furnace). I don't know anything about the early Eberspachers, but I presume they're similar in that respect.

But, yes, a new Airtronic is about 9x the cost of a Buddy heater.

By the way, I had an early Big Buddy, and it was one of the few products for which I actually submitted the registration card. Good thing I did! They experienced several explosions, and so recalled them and sent out a new one. Shocked
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
I too have the Big Buddy, and despite the low oxygen sensor and tip shut off, I still wouldn't want to go to sleep with it running.

Having said that, I would think that only running the single burner, on low, would heat up a Bay pretty quick and keep it at a nice comfortable level all night (unless you were in brutal cold temps, then scale up, I guess).

Personally, I would prefer (and intend to buy) an Espar Airtronic, which has a separate, isolated combustion chamber which is supplied and vented to the outside (much like a home furnace). I don't know anything about the early Eberspachers, but I presume they're similar in that respect.

But, yes, a new Airtronic is about 9x the cost of a Buddy heater.

By the way, I had an early Big Buddy, and it was one of the few products for which I actually submitted the registration card. Good thing I did! They experienced several explosions, and so recalled them and sent out a new one.
Shocked

When was the recall?
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Apparently about 10 years ago...this press release is making a liar out of me. I guess my memory is.....oh what's the word.....fading! I swear I thought there were some 'splosions involved!

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2005/CPSC-Mr-Heater...-Heaters-/
Sawspa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Apparently about 10 years ago...this press release is making a liar out of me. I guess my memory is.....oh what's the word.....fading! I swear I thought there were some 'splosions involved!

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2005/CPSC-Mr-Heater...-Heaters-/

Thank you so much. Thats about when i got mine. I will check when i get home. Im glad i started this thread now, especially the high number of bussers that use these.
LivinInnaVWBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Soooo... have any of you actually experienced a "real cold" night in a bus using the Mr. Buddy heater? I have the Big Buddy and under 40 degrees it will keep you alive but it won't keep you warm. Under 35 degrees and you can still see your breath, it will be a miserable nights sleep. A 1500 watt oil filled radiant heater keeps me warmer than the Big Buddy does, it's good until about 20 degrees.
Ultimately I decided to stop messing around and bought a Dickenson Marine P12,000. I haven't used it yet, with luck I'll be out of winter before I need it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
Soooo... have any of you actually experienced a "real cold" night in a bus using the Mr. Buddy heater?

Yeeep.....

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane furnace questions? Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
LivinInnaVWBus wrote:
Soooo... have any of you actually experienced a "real cold" night in a bus using the Mr. Buddy heater?

Yeeep.....

Not me, I've got Eberspacher Very Happy It may have been "real cold" outside but not in the bus Wink

Now there was this one time I said something stupid to my wife, things got a little "cold" that night, even with the heater on...... Confused

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: