Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

14" rims
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Hurd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:18 pm    Post subject: 14" rims Reply with quote

How can I tell if the 14" rims I have are for my 73 thing? Is there a inside depth/outside dept measurement any one can offer for me to check?
Thanks,
edgy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure of the spec. Suggest you contact Thingsunlimited.net or the Thing Shop. If they can't help, let me know, I'll measure the ones we have. I can only assume that the ones we have are original.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
fathing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: Your wheel issue Reply with quote

Hi,
originally the 1973 and newer Things had wheels with the size 5 x 14 inch with an offset of 32.5 mm.
Uh, Oh there we have this metric stuff again. I will try to translate, 32.5 / 25.4 = 1.28” or 1 9/32 “.
Offset is the distance between the imaginary centre line and the mounting surface of your rim.
In the USA the term Rear Spacing (RS) is more common and can be measured from the rim edge (back of wheel) down to the mounting surface. So, how much is an offset of 1.28” in RS? Lets calculate this real quick:

½ Rim width in mm is 5/2 x 25.4 = 63.5, Offset is 32.5 mm, if it is positive offset (wheel goes further in your wheel well) we add this to the 63.5 mm. If it would be negative offset we would subtract this amount.

OK, 63.5 + 32.5 mm = 96 mm

Now we have to add the edge width to that number, which is usually always 12 mm.

Now total RS is 63.5 + 32.5 + 12 = 108 mm or 4 ¼ “

Ok if your wheels are 14 “ dia. 5 “ wide (measured actually almost 6 “ due to the edge width) and has a rear spacing of 4 ¼ “ then it is original. They came with 185 x 15 radial tires.

I hope this is explanatory, maybe someone else has an easier way to explain this.

Best regards

Dominique Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: