Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air intake options for EJ22 swap
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
northband
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Air intake options for EJ22 swap Reply with quote

Now that I got my engine installed I'm struggling to get the Subaru airbox to fit. I have an '86 Westy GL so the a/c hoses are in the driver side rear engine cubby so the air box barely fits.

I'm considering getting the KEP intake but wondering how well it fits. I'm leaning towards a cone filter intake because it wouldn't have to be stashed anywhere.

Curious what some popular options are - maybe some pics as well.

Thanks!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just post up a build thread focused on your van, and then all these individual sub-component questions can appear in one central location.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a good question. The KEP filter didn't seem to be at the level of OE quality you can find in the junkyard. Plus I'm surprised people haven't found a used alternative over buying something new.

When I was looking for a compact filter for a different conversion, I found a square 10x10x6 Nissan airbox with inlet on one end and outlet on the other. I think it was on an older Maxima.

I also found a tiny airbox from a Chrysler Dogde. It came on V6 Dynasty, LeBaron, and similar late 80s and early nineties cars.

Both of these fit into the D pillar but I think the smaller one might fit in line on firewall. You'd probably have make an intake adapter but they both looked promising so I grabbed them. I may try to fit one on my subie 2.5.

Nissan one:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dodge one:

Size comparison:
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Nissan one pictured actually fits the factory Subaru air filter correctly(1990-94 Legacy), they are identical and interchange. Good choice, I think way back I researched that one and it also fit an older Sentra. A look on Ebay might confirm this.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I forgot the most important part. I was looking for a paper filter air box because I don't like the reusable cone filters like K&N or similar. This isn't from a bad experience but reading up on them shows how critical it is to keep them oiled and to clean them -- way more often than I want to be bothered. The oil does a good job catching the dust but after not too long they are covered in dirt and oil and are very restrictive. If you ever road dirt bikes, you cleaned your air filter every couple rides and re-oiled it. And if you don't oil them, all that dust is going into your engine to give your cylinders a good sanding.
Halifaxwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the cone shaped filter on my 2.2.

Looks nice and seems to work, but there is a loud "whirr" sound droning out of my driverside D pillar vent.

Its manageable, but noticable.

My first car was a 1968 VW Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Kennedy U shaped air box. It is quiet. I drove through a thunder storm and sucked up enough road mist to choke out the motor. I have since added a flexable hose extension that run up the D pillar to act as a snorkel.

I spent the money because of the quiet design Kennedy boasts. It works.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common early 2.2l Subaru OEM filter housing (1990-1994) has a 90 degree connection to the MAF. Here is a picture:

Common later Subaru OEM filter housings (1995+) have a 45 degree connection to the MAF.

The later ones fit a little better in a Vanagon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: