Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who has the 'youngest' barndoor and the oldest non barndoor
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Who has the 'youngest' barndoor and the oldest non barndoor Reply with quote

Just out of interest, who knows of the youngest barndoor bus. I have 116070 which is Feb 55, but i know there are some after mine, last documented is 20117901 are there any close to this? and what about the oldest 'nonbarndoor'? I know the school bus is March 55 119.... are there any in between?
This is just for my sad interest,so please humour me Eh?
SIMON
vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the vw museum might have the youngest bardoor and the oldest non barndoor. but im not sure.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is the oldest known running and driving non-barndoor. it came from sweden and is left hand drive/ left hand cargo door. i considered buying this bus and had seen it in person when it was for sale. someone had a camper interior in it and had rigged up some strange "baseboard" steam radiator for heat.
it currently resides in the UK

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/116224.jpg

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too sure if this is old but my 1955 23 window has these numbers 120136....non barndoor!
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.barndoor.dk/

all the info you require is here. Very Happy

Youngest currently known barndoor 20-116265.

What also would be interesting would be to find 2 buses made on the same day. They could have been on the production line next to each other.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

What also would be interesting would be to find 2 buses made on the same day. They could have been on the production line next to each other.

I've seen two buses that were made a day apart. But not same day buses, at least, not that I know of.
211vanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

come on lets see your barndoor on the road! Shocked
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

211vanman wrote:

If that comment is dirrected at me I do not quite understand it meaning, is it meant literally or otherwise?

I at present use my mechanical skills and time to help others use buses on the road that would otherwise be unable to unhelped make them road worthy.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

211vanman wrote:

????????????
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a crazy thought for you. There are possibly 4 Barndoors that are all late 1953s that could possibly have been made on the same day. They are:
20-070259 My December 1953 Panel
20-070288 I believe it's Wade's Single Cab
20-070291 El Ghiablo Josh's '53 Kombi
20-070297 BBJ's Single Cab

The factory was producing very roughly 2600 Buses per month back then, very roughly about 100 per day. These 4 are within 38 numbers of each other, definitely the same day or consecutive days. Wade's and Josh's are 3 numbers from each other and Josh's and BBJ's are separated by only 6 numbers! They are all consecutive in the www.barndoor.dk registry too. Wild.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

I've seen two buses that were made a day apart. But not same day buses, at least, not that I know of.

My bus is built on the same day as the 55 ambulance that Bob at BBT has for sale, also the next chassis number to mine is a single cab that was built two days before, work that out... across the weekend i guess.
Keith i know about Tonny's site but there must be some other buses out there, especially early 'non barndoors'
SIMON
Rusting Hulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

211vanman wrote:

This is directed at me, 4 years i have owned the barndoor and yet to drive it. this guy calls himself my friend Shame on you
SIMON
SHSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Not barndoors, nor 55's. But this bus and the bus behind it (you can't see it in the photo) were built on the same day. And they were the same colors, I do have the m-plates out of them.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda, You are out of control!!!!!!!!! Is your bus registered on that BD DK site?? I didn't see yours there. And someone posted Ed, Matt, Rick and other ones on there and they got credit. I wonder if they got permission from these guys? Cuz when I asked one of them about registering their ride they said F&%$ that!!!!!

It's all about being a REBEL!!!!!!!! ROCKING REBELS Linda!!! I think someone posted mine too???? But it can't be because those vin #'s are not mine!

Laydo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tonny_Larsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barndoor Mafia wrote:
Linda, You are out of control!!!!!!!!! Is your bus registered on that BD DK site?? I didn't see yours there. And someone posted Ed, Matt, Rick and other ones on there and they got credit. I wonder if they got permission from these guys? Cuz when I asked one of them about registering their ride they said F&%$ that!!!!!

It's all about being a REBEL!!!!!!!! ROCKING REBELS Linda!!! I think someone posted mine too???? But it can't be because those vin #'s are not mine!

Laydo

Sorry, but has this something to with me, and if, please tell me what the problem is?

http://barndoor.dk

-Tonny
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be curious to know if anyone knows what became of the barndoor bus we pulled out of a field in southern Saskatchewan (Canada)? It was sold from Medicine Hat, Alberta (Canada) and if I remember correctly it ended up in the mid west? Chicago maybe? It was a kombi, blue with a little sticker on the passenger dogleg... a belgium dealer? It's been a while, just wondering where is it now? Thanks, and I thought that kombi was a '52. Chad.
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUCIOBATISTI wrote:
Here's a crazy thought for you. There are possibly 4 Barndoors that are all late 1953s that could possibly have been made on the same day. They are:
20-070259 My December 1953 Panel
20-070288 I believe it's Wade's Single Cab
20-070291 El Ghiablo Josh's '53 Kombi
20-070297 BBJ's Single Cab

Okay, now that just begs to have all four buses meet at a show with a display and everything!!

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonny_Larsen wrote:
Barndoor Mafia wrote:

Laydo

Sorry, but has this something to with me, and if, please tell me what the problem is?

http://barndoor.dk

-Tonny

Hey Tonny,

I has nothing to do with you. Some guys are just weird about having their stuff or cars posted on the internet. But if they are upset? It's not you who they would be upset at, it would be the person posting their Barndoor's. I don't know if they gave permission to have them posted? If so I would have assumed the owners names would have fallen under the pictures of their Barndoors. I wouldn't worry about it. It looks as if though someone posted a picture of mine? It looks like it, but those are the incorrect numbers for my BD.

I also have some vin #'s for two 52 Standards, a 55 Panel and a 54 Kombi that are not registered with you. And these guys gave me persmission. I will e-mail you some time this weekend to send them to you.
The Milky Barndoor Kid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bust in on your thread Simon,
But while talking about buses (or barndoors) made on the same day!

I found out the other day on Tonnys web site a 54 panel van in Spain that is "6" digits out on the chassis number!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must of been made on the same day,within a very short space of each other!

my 54 23 window samba # 20 074455
The panel in Spain # 20 074461

Which happens to be up for sale on TheSamba for 22500 euros!

I was lucky enough to meet the guy and look over the bus, we had a chat with him at the Baleric VW meeting in Spain a couple of years ago.
Now that was a good meeting!

It was found in a field in Portugal next to a 50 which he owns as well!!
The 50 should be painted by now I think!

Karl
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a 55 non barn singlecab. I will have to get the #s on it so we can see when it was made.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: