Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Source for Vanagon A/C fittings and flushing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Source for Vanagon A/C fittings and flushing Reply with quote

My dog decided it's finally time to get the A/C hooked up on my TDI swap. I just read on the TDI swap Yahoo forum I can run the Vanagon compressor with the TDI compressor clutch on it (for serpentine belt) so that's what I'll do (Thanks Costica)

I failed to properly cap of the hoses when doing the swap, and who knows what has crawled into the the system....and they're old anyway. I was going to disassemble the entire system and replace every hose/fitting and flush out the condenser and evaporator. Any tips for flushing those items out ? They'll be on the bench. compressed air for a few minutes and call it good ? I'll pull a good vacuum on the system when its all buttoned up.

I'm guessing some have made new hoses for their stock vanagon system. Where did you find the fittings at ? I'm guessing they are metric. I've never messed with making AC hoses but I want to. I am going to alter the routing slightly so I'd like to crimp them in place if possible.

Thank You

Dave

Last edited by outwesty on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the DIY RedTek thread for flushing your lines. There is an air brake antifreeze from most FLAPS that you can use to flush and blow out with compressed air before doing the vacuum down.

Last edited by dlb154 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get all new hoses manufactured for your van.
NAPA, Parker hose will have the fittings.
Be sure to clean out the entire system prior to hanging the hoses.
Install,Evac, load.

Or, do some AC system seaching here.

It's all covered in triplicate--maybe more.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I've repaired several automotive AC systems but never made my own hoses. After some research I found coldhose.com which appears to have everything I could need. I'll give Parker a shot next time I'm in Reno as it would probably be easier to have the parts in hand. I have some R12 stashed so I want to do it right the first time. Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Djkeev (Dave) purchased hoses and some type of "EZ Clip" system to fabricate his own hoses from hosewarehouse. Not sure how these clips work for hose fittings but appears to be an alternative to shop made hoses.
See Dave's post about it - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...;start=140
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the high pressure hose between the compressor and the condenser failed (actually broke off at the fitting for the compressor (v. exciting to see while charging along on the PA Turnpike - lots of oil smoke...). the hose was replaced at a hydraulic hose shop. The actual "goes-into" parts can be re-used. It's the crimped fitting that hold them into the hose that have to be replaced. In short, you don't need to look for hard to find parts when replacing hoses.

I've found that FLAPS is a good source for Westy a/c parts. Notably, I bought a replacement Sanden compressor it a good price and had it in two working days. And this when GW, VC, etc. all said "nothing to be hand until Sanden build more - and we don't know when that will be". Sanden is a Texas company who's a supplier for lots of different vehicles.

After lots of thrashing around, I'm beginning to have serious doubts about using Red Tek. I'm not impressed with the performance. Their tech support is helpful (which is worth a lot), I'll give them that.

Additionally, once you have Red Tek in your a/c system, most shops will not touch repairs on it. Their concern (and it's understandable) is the Red Tek may cause problems with their gear, which is set up for 134A. It may well be that there's no cause for concern. But keep in mind these people put the food on the table with their gear; if it takes a hit, they won't be happy about repairing, replacing, or whatever.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which TDI engine? I am assuming the early one if you intend to use the vanagon compressor? I have an ALH TDI and am using the TDI compressor and bracket with an internal mod. I don't think you can use that setup with the Vanagon compressor. If you have an earlier TDI, the one with the belt driven waterpump, perhaps you can. Post some pictures.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<After lots of thrashing around,>>
No kidding.
Two years and counting of being bound & determined to do it your way --this equates to the thrashing around.

<< I'm beginning to have serious doubts about using Red Tek. I'm not impressed with the performance. >>

Not at all the products fault.
The system requires the correct evac prep, and refrigerant introduction for any & all of it to work properly.
You decided to go down the wrong road on this operation, and you now have what you put into it.
No suprises here.
It's the Red-Teks fault.
outwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
the hose was replaced at a hydraulic hose shop. The actual "goes-into" parts can be re-used.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this. Definitely seems like the way to go then.

Those EZ clips are a very interesting alternative. Thanks

rsxsr - I was going to go with the newer TDI compressor with the internal mod but I just read on the yahoo TDI forum you can just swap clutches and enlarge 2 holes on the bracket and keep the vanagon compressor on these 1st gen TDI's. Seems easier in my head. So that's the route I'm headed. I'll post pics at some point.
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years later the hose hasn't popped yet. "Your mileage may vary" [/grin]

It's probably just me but...
Quote:
you can just swap clutches and enlarge 2 holes on the bracket
makes me nervous. If the clutch fits without using a hammer, fine. It's the enlarging the holes that makes me uncomfortable. I'm thinking about centering and maintaining a good fit. Hey, it may all work just fine but ...um... color me nervous.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: