Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:19 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I don't think your gonna get a great idle with a w110 and a single carb, even dual single don't work with that cam, I'd get slap on a pair of 40 idf's with that 034 dizzy, an call it a day Wink same set up on my bus although it's a 2110cc Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I have a 110 cam with my 1776 and from what I read it's real hard to get a good idle with that combo (34pict). I tried a few different carbs then I decided to just use the screw on the fast idle cam to set my idle speed. I know they say not to do that but I figure I don't drive my Bus at idle so who cares what the idle setting is at. Kind of like timing.

That being said my Bus drives great that way. Another trick you can try is unscrewing your pilot jet a little and see if that helps the idle. If it does some say that you need a bigger pilot jet.

You should look into jetting your carb. Tim at Volkzbitz set mine up with a 135 main (much bigger than stock) 75 air and 65 pilot jet. It runs great that way and I get 20mpg. If you need I have jet gauges and reamers and extra jets.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
I have a 110 cam with my 1776 and from what I read it's real hard to get a good idle with that combo (34pict). I tried a few different carbs then I decided to just use the screw on the fast idle cam to set my idle speed. I know they say not to do that but I figure I don't drive my Bus at idle so who cares what the idle setting is at. Kind of like timing.

That being said my Bus drives great that way. Another trick you can try is unscrewing your pilot jet a little and see if that helps the idle. If it does some say that you need a bigger pilot jet.

You should look into jetting your carb. Tim at Volkzbitz set mine up with a 135 main (much bigger than stock) 75 air and 65 pilot jet. It runs great that way and I get 20mpg. If you need I have jet gauges and reamers and extra jets.

That's good to know because my main jet was loose when I took it apart. Maybe I'll try setting that out a little.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
ccpalmer wrote:

That's good to know because my main jet was loose when I took it apart. Maybe I'll try setting that out a little.

Not the main jet (inside) but the pilot jet (on the side)
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Welp, Brutis isn't up to snuff yet to make it tomorrow. I'll be there but not with the van.

Madmike: I'll bring tools in case you don't have them.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I don't think your gonna get a great idle with a w110 and a single carb, even dual single don't work with that cam, I'd get slap on a pair of 40 idf's with that 034 dizzy, an call it a day Wink same set up on my bus although it's a 2110cc Laughing

So my baby Weber's wouldn't help it out much either? (Assuming that my carb is the issue.) That's a bummer. I'ma keep working on the single for now. Maybe get different jetting like Chris suggested.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well... this 110 cam is a pain in the butt. I'm in the market for some weber 40 idf's or 36 dell's if anyone has any they are looking to sell.

I'm also going to be selling my baby webers, and both my 34 pict 3's now (one Mexican one german). I also have type 4 parts to trade for the carbs if you are interested in that. Feel free to reach out to me anyway you decide. I'm looking to get the carbs in the coming week.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Would you mind making a detailed list of the running issues you're having? I'd like to have a stab at improving your running condition in the mean time, assuming you have the time to make some tweaks.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Would you mind making a detailed list of the running issues you're having? I'd like to have a stab at improving your running condition in the mean time, assuming you have the time to make some tweaks.

Robbie

Sure. Since I cleaned my carb and now switched carbs.

This is what I have checked:
Newer plug wires
Set timing to 30* full advance with vacuum plugged. (It was hard to get it to run without the vacuum and wouldn't run without me pumping the gas)
Set valves to .006
Changed fuel filter
Checked for vacuum leaks (none located with spraying brake cleaner of carb cleaner. When brake cleaner sprayed above the carb it did not like it and nearly cut out and turned off.)
Changed coil.

Symptoms:
It has a hard time starting, and once started I am Unable to obtain an idle below 1550 rpm. The engine just slows down (starting at 1550) and cuts out completely around 1000-1200. If I screw out the speed screw a lot (6-8turns) I can get it to idle without the choke, but it makes it even harder to start the engine.

I have not checked my spark plugs yet (I suppose I should...)

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Eeeexxcelleeennnttt details!

Spike0180 wrote:

Set timing to 30* full advance with vacuum plugged. (It was hard to get it to run without the vacuum and wouldn't run without me pumping the gas)

How do you KNOW where 30° is? Will it rev up smoother for a mock timing check if you plug the hose?

Quote:
Checked for vacuum leaks (none located with spraying brake cleaner of carb cleaner. When brake cleaner sprayed above the carb it did not like it and nearly cut out and turned off.)

At what RPM was this test? The result tells us that your engine is likely rich at whatever stage you tested.

Quote:
It has a hard time starting, and once started I am Unable to obtain an idle below 1550 rpm. The engine just slows down (starting at 1550) and cuts out completely around 1000-1200. If I screw out the speed screw a lot (6-8turns) I can get it to idle without the choke, but it makes it even harder to start the engine.

6-8 turns of the big brass speed screw is well within the realm of 34pict3 adjustment, especially with a non-stock cam! What is your small brass mixture screw set to at that point, and how are you setting it? I am a firm believer that the stock carbs have much more adjustment than folks give them credit for. I think I was in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, when I ran across a mostly stock bus that needed eight or nine turns out on the speed screw to get up to 1,000 RPM idle. Point is, talk to your bus and get our heads out of the Bentley every once in a while.

Define your starting procedures on a cold, warm, and hot engine please.

How is first start of the day on choke?

Robbie

EDIT: for TWO dangling prepositions. Ugh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Eeeexxcelleeennnttt details!

Spike0180 wrote:

How do you KNOW where 30° is? Will it rev up smoother for a mock timing check if you plug the hose?

Quote:

At what RPM was this test? The result tells us that your engine is likely rich at whatever stage you tested.

Quote:

6-8 turns of the big brass speed screw is well within the realm of 34pict3 adjustment, especially with a non-stock cam! What is your small brass mixture screw set to at that point, and how are you setting it? I am a firm believer that the stock carbs have much more adjustment than folks give them credit for. I think I was in Ft. Wayne, Indiana, when I ran across a mostly stock bus that needed eight or nine turns out on the speed screw to get up to 1,000 RPM idle. Point is, talk to your bus and get our heads out of the Bentley every once in a while.

Define your starting procedures on a cold, warm, and hot engine please.

How is first start of the day on choke?

Robbie

EDIT: for TWO dangling prepositions. Ugh.

I used my timing light and the mark on the pulley to set my advance at 30*. The vacuum was plugged.

I had it trying to idle at that point, so somewhere about 1700rpm.

My mixture screw was somewhere in the ballpark of 2 turns out at that point. I had leaned it out because I had assumed it was rich from spraying it before. And OK, I won't hesitate about having the speed screw way out.

For starting I am having to set the choke fully on (more open it is, the harder time it has starting.) Then I turn the key. I would love to gas it a little when starting, it helps a lot, but my choke opens and then it won't start up and run. On cold starts I give it a shot or two from the accelerator pump. First start isn't as bad a warm starts, but it still doesn't start up on first turn around.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

110 cam and 34PICT..

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall d'oh!

Too bad you don't have a stock 1.7 type 4 lying around somewhere..
With a set of ICTs, that would make a super-reliable setup for an early bay!

Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
110 cam and 34PICT..

Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall d'oh!

Too bad you don't have a stock 1.7 type 4 lying around somewhere..
With a set of ICTs, that would make a super-reliable setup for an early bay!

Razz

Yeah, they're reliable if they're getting oil. And you don't have to disassemble it clean it and reassemble it. Oh, and properly mounted so it isn't stressing your mounts every time you give it a shot of gas. Oh, and I sold the cylinders and heater boxes. I think this type 1 will be good. I knew the cam and carb weren't going to like each other, my engine builder said it would be fine... I shouldn't have listened. Or maybe it will be and I just can't tune for crap. Both possible.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

If you paid someone and they said it would run well, they should be obligated to make it run well.

An idle speed screw 8 turns out, being fine, will require significant moving of the mixture screw too. I'm interested to hear how you've adjusted that on a warm engine.

Where does your idle timing fall?

I'm a little unclear on your starting procedures. Here are mine:

Cold start: Press the pedal down once, release. Turn key.
Warm start: Crack the throttle open maybe 1/8th. Turn key.
Hot start: Slowly depress pedal to floor. Turn key.

What are yours?

Robbie
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
If you paid someone and they said it would run well, they should be obligated to make it run well.

An idle speed screw 8 turns out, being fine, will require significant moving of the mixture screw too. I'm interested to hear how you've adjusted that on a warm engine.

Where does your idle timing fall?

I'm a little unclear on your starting procedures. Here are mine:

Cold start: Press the pedal down once, release. Turn key.
Warm start: Crack the throttle open maybe 1/8th. Turn key.
Hot start: Slowly depress pedal to floor. Turn key.

What are yours?

Robbie

I'm wanting to get this working on my own if I can, even if I fail it will be a good educational process.

Have not checked where it lands at idle. Do you want with or without vacuum?

Cold start: turn key
Warm start: set choke open (manually) turn key.
Hot start: set choke fully open (manually) turn key. (If helper present, pump pedal 1-3 times or until engine starts)

It sounds like I probably am just way out from where my setting should be. Do you think I will need more gas (turn mixture screw out further) since I have my idle speed screw out so far?

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

A 110 cam and 34 PICT won't idle below 1400RPM at least no matter what you do.

I'd be getting a pair of duals before proceeding.

Why not use those ICTs?

Get a set of type 1 manifolds, tweak the linkage in, and go, Daddy-O..

Did you buy that motor turn-key?

Was it a long-block you dressed down,
Or did you buy that like that,
with the idea it was supposed to go into your bus and run?

Unless it was free, or very, very cheap,
I'd be throwing a brick right now,
Not 'doing it myself'..

The valvetrain of a new motor isn't supposed to come apart in 50 miles.

A 110 with stock carb is just WRONG for any motor, especially a bus.

If you actually paid good money for that motor,
And it's 'rebuilt',
It should run, FFS!

You got yourself a nice looking bus right there,
and obviously a lot of time and effort in.
Don't let yourself get shammed by some scam, my man!

What’s That Noise?!?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
A 110 cam and 34 PICT won't idle below 1400RPM at least no matter what you do.

I'd be getting a pair of duals before proceeding.

Why not use those ICTs?

Get a set of type 1 manifolds, tweak the linkage in, and go, Daddy-O..

Did you buy that motor turn-key?

Was it a long-block you dressed down,
Or did you buy that like that,
with the idea it was supposed to go into your bus and run?

Unless it was free, or very, very cheap,
I'd be throwing a brick right now,
Not 'doing it myself'..

The valvetrain of a new motor isn't supposed to come apart in 50 miles.

A 110 with stock carb is just WRONG for any motor, especially a bus.

If you actually paid good money for that motor,
And it's 'rebuilt',
It should run, FFS!

You got yourself a nice looking bus right there,
and obviously a lot of time and effort in.
Don't let yourself get shammed by some scam, my man!

I purchased the motor turn key. It ran well when I got it. Then the washer broke and I took the carb off for cleaning. I haven't been able to tune it since. I was happy with how it was performing for the 30 miles of trouble free driving I had. So I am going to keep working on getting this combo right before throwing in the towel, I know it can work. And my engine builder was helpful when I showed him the broken washer, he met me and replaced it, then gave me a few extras just in case of another breaking.

As far as the price, it was the right price. And it came with a warrantee.

As far as the ICT's, from what I have read up on those wont be much better than the 34pict3 I have on it now. And I don't have the manifolds for them or the linkage. And they also don't have a vacuum port for my dist. Plus that may void my warrantee, which I would really like to keep.

I am going to be working on this again on Friday and I will report back. And do remember, I had it idling at 1200rpm at one point. So it will idle below 1400. That is just crap. I think the trick he used was to loosen up the idle jet on the right side of the carb to allow more air flow. So I ordered a larger one that is on its way. I also ordered a larger main jet. I'm matching CCPalmer's jetting.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I check my advance at idle (1100rpm) and it seemed to be around 30* with vacuum hoses attached. This seemed high to me. Maybe my distributor's mechanical advance is stuck open?

And I seem to have a pretty consistent misfire. I pulled plug wires while running and found that 4-2 had significantly less effect on the engine than 1-3.

And Robbie, your starting procedures did help with starts. Thank you.
I am also able to start the car without a choke on (when warm/hot) and I did change my jetting to match ccpalmer (75 air 65 idle and 135 main)

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
I check my advance at idle (1100rpm) and it seemed to be around 30* with vacuum hoses attached. This seemed high to me. Maybe my distributor's mechanical advance is stuck open?

This sounds ridiculous. There should be no vacuum advance at idle. Hose off/on at idle should make no change. Does it? This was probably a mechanic's ploy to get the thing to idle.

Is there still a hole in the throttle plate?

Intake manifold nuts 12 ft/lbs?

A tricky thing about a "new" engine is how tight the internals are. My 30pict3 1600 single port didn't idle for shit without the big brass speed screw ALL the way out after break-in day. Every day I was able to turn it in maybe a half turn, until about a month of daily driving loosened the engine up enough to where it stabilized. This will be compounded with your cam choice. So get it running smoothly, and trick it into idling once it's broken in.

Robbie
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

This sounds ridiculous. There should be no vacuum advance at idle. Hose off/on at idle should make no change. Does it? This was probably a mechanic's ploy to get the thing to idle.

Is there still a hole in the throttle plate?

Intake manifold nuts 12 ft/lbs?

A tricky thing about a "new" engine is how tight the internals are. My 30pict3 1600 single port didn't idle for shit without the big brass speed screw ALL the way out after break-in day. Every day I was able to turn it in maybe a half turn, until about a month of daily driving loosened the engine up enough to where it stabilized. This will be compounded with your cam choice. So get it running smoothly, and trick it into idling once it's broken in.

Robbie

Maybe I'll take off the distributor and look inside a bit. See if anything was tampered with. Thoughts? As for the vacuum, it seems to run and start better with the vacuum on.

There is still a hole in the throttle plate

I'll check again. I have sprayed with carb cleaner and have yet to find any vacuum leaks.

Hmmm... how was your mixture screw when you had your speed screw all the way out? My mixture screw does very little to the engine idle. I have actually even had to engine running with the mixture screw in 100%

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 30

Jump to: