Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

It's been a little bit. I got some little things cleaned up. Patched up behind the passenger door. We build the B-pillar? The pillar between the passenger door and the sliding door. And put in a patch where the rear seat belt attaches on the drivers side. Here is a few thousand other words for you.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like every time you removed paint you got a big surprise which lead to more work. I think at this stage you are close to uncovering all the surprises.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

VWRESTOMODMAN wrote:
Looks like every time you removed paint you got a big surprise which lead to more work. I think at this stage you are close to uncovering all the surprises.

Yup... This started as I'm just gonna reinforce the middle section with some beams... Lol I hope I don't run into many more surprises, because my patience is starting to run low.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hang in there, as I always say to myself when I'm undertaking a big restoration challenge "it's all down hill from here". Here' s a few photos of one of my current projects to help keep you motivated, a '71 sport deluxe almost ready for paint. I even went so far as to media blast and powder coat the entire underside, engine bay, cargo area, and front cab. I had to replace a lot of sheet metal on this bus as well, the entire nose skin, front floor, cargo floors, slider track, and both rear corners half way up. So hang in there, it will be worth it in the end!

Last edited by VWRESTOMODMAN on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a very large oven? How do you powder coat the whole floor pan?
72 Baja
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I media blasted the entire thing I took it to a local powder coater who has a very large oven. After powder coating I stripped all the remaining original exterior paint to bare metal, then epoxy sealed the metal and primed it.
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

VWRESTOMODMAN wrote:
Well hang in there, as I always say to myself when I'm undertaking a big restoration challenge "it's all down hill from here". Here' s a few photos of one of my current projects to help keep you motivated, a '71 sport deluxe almost ready for paint. I even went so far as to media blast and powder coat the entire underside, engine bay, cargo area, and front cab. I had to replace a lot of sheet metal on this bus as well, the entire nose skin, front floor, cargo floors, slider track, and both rear corners half way up. So hang in there, it will be worth it in the end!

Thanks, I know it will be. This is my first ever restoration and it's taking a lot longer than I hoped. like I said, I didn't actually buy this expecting a restoration. Lol. But at least I only have to do tuning and gauge installation for the engine. And I may or may not put disc brakes up front.

Also my buddy helping me keeps losing focus that this is a daily driver build not a show queen. It's gonna be a little rough on the edges, and there will be quirks about it (the engine tin for example). But it'll work awesome when I'm done... Eventually.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Dogleg supplier Reply with quote

VWRESTOMODMAN wrote:

Btw, did you replace your dogleg? If so where did you get yours? And was it any good?
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have to replace my dog legs, they were in good shape. Klassic fab is most likely your best source.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. I've never seen such large areas of a bus powder coated. That's awesome. Walk me thru this some more. The powder coat place blasted those areas with sand/media, then wiped it all down before applying the powder? They then baked it in a obviously large oven. What temp did they bake the powder at? I thought it was over 300 degrees?

Last question, with no filler or other things to hide imperfections in the metal, how does it look up close?

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill, first I burned all the undercoating off the underside, then I media blasted the metal. After that I blew off all the left over junk and took it to the powdercoater. They coated it and cooked it off at 400 degrees for 20 min, then a heat soak @350 for 45 min. It is awsome, I've done several like this. The finish is perfect, glossy and bullet proof.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Cost Reply with quote

VWRESTOMODMAN wrote:
Hi Bill, first I burned all the undercoating off the underside, then I media blasted the metal. After that I blew off all the left over junk and took it to the powdercoater. They coated it and cooked it off at 400 degrees for 20 min, then a heat soak @350 for 45 min. It is awsome, I've done several like this. The finish is perfect, glossy and bullet proof.
Code:

I don't think we have anyone around here doing that not on a non business level. But how much did that cost you? Is powder coating in general pretty costly?
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am lucky in that I have a facility near me that caters to industrial sized items with a large oven. The.cost runs $800 to apply the powder and bake it.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWRESTOMODMAN wrote:

I bet it will be bullet proof. I didn't think that sheet metal could take those temperatures w/out warping or deforming. It also sounds like you had to totally remove all the seam sealer as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
VWRESTOMODMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key to avoiding the metal deforming like potato chips is to control the heat ramp rate slowly, and then after curing just turn the oven off and let it cool back to ambient over night. Yes, when I burned off the undercoating most of the seam sealer went with it witch is what you want otherwise you will end up with a big mess afterwards. I mask and reapply OEM style undercoating and seam sealer in selected areas in the wheel wells to protect it from road grime and rocks.
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent job buddy. No sweat for you just like a walk in the park!
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Sooo, this weekend my buddy helped me fit the passenger dogleg and we welded it mostly up. It still needs to be finalized and a couple small patches put in place. But that happens tomorrow, when I'll have more pictures as well! The time of metal work is coming to and end! Woohoo!!!

Also the other night, I think Friday, I patched up the passenger side rear wheel well. I'll have pictures of that tomorrow too.

Here is the dogleg in!

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Short night Reply with quote

I did some welding up of the dogleg last night. I didn't finish the front connection yet. (It doesn't quite reach so patches, yes more of them, will be necessary.) Btw, I think the name of this bus is gonna be patches, at least a nickname. Anyways here are a few more pictures.

And a few of the bus as it stands currently.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Center floor supports Reply with quote

I welded up the three center floor supports this weekend. I can carry just about anything that'll fit in my van assuming I can spread out the weight well.

not a great picture, but it's what I have atm.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 30

Jump to: