Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

17 mpg Shocked my 2110 gets 24'ish. 26 was the best.. you got to save up for some idf's ,,,, some day Wink Laughing
glad your putting some miles&smile's on the road,my friend
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
17 mpg Shocked my 2110 gets 24'ish. 26 was the best.. you got to save up for some idf's ,,,, some day Wink Laughing

I'll keep working on improving the MPG's, but from my research 17 isn't too bad. Anywhere form 15-25 is pretty typical for a bus. And I have an early tune in mine. I might try to reduce jetting sizes at some point, but for now: MILES! ... after I get my alternator charging again... Mad Confused
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
madmike wrote:

I'll keep working on improving the MPG's, but from my research 17 isn't too bad. Anywhere form 15-25 is pretty typical for a bus. And I have an early tune in mine. I might try to reduce jetting sizes at some point, but for now: MILES! ... after I get my alternator charging again... Mad Confused

I get a tad over 20mpg highway. Was your mileage city or highway? What jets have you settled on?

Good to hear you're making road trips! Make sure you fix that light - I lost two fan belts in a year and that light saved me both times. I replaced my alternator pulley and solved that issue.

I'm pretty busy but we gotta grab that beer sometime before the cold hits...
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
madmike wrote:

I get a tad over 20mpg highway. Was your mileage city or highway? What jets have you settled on?

Good to hear you're making road trips! Make sure you fix that light - I lost two fan belts in a year and that light saved me both times. I replaced my alternator pulley and solved that issue.

I'm pretty busy but we gotta grab that beer sometime before the cold hits...

Fixed. Voltage regulator was bad. Or perhaps not grounded properly? Do the voltage regulators for externally regulated alternators have to be grounded?

There has been talk of getting people together next Sunday. Are you in for that? Anyone is welcome to join as well (bagger04)

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

There has been talk of getting people together next Sunday. Are you in for that? Anyone is welcome to join as well (bagger04)

That should work for me.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

The bus got more use today. A trip to church and a trip to belle isle. Here are a couple pictures from the beautiful belle isle. They have done a great job cleaning it up.

CCPalmer, I'll keep you posted about sunday.

coming back from out walk.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The view of Downtown Detroit from the bridge.

Bagger04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I'll hopefully be back on road, keep following this for Sunday, The bus is giving me the blues. But I shall prevail...lol
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Bagger04 wrote:
I'll hopefully be back on road, keep following this for Sunday, The bus is giving me the blues. But I shall prevail...lol

We missed you Sunday.

This week consisted of two Brutal Brutis Adventures (what I'm calling basic trips, but with the van). The first was Wednesday! It started out great. I loaded up my mountain bike and headed off to work. The bus was running well and stop well. Here is a picture of the bike loaded in and heading off to work.

When I got out of work excited for my adventure, I found my brake pedal went almost to the floor... so as any good vw driver, I found I was able to stop still so I headed out! even on the highway for a little while in traffic. What could go wrong? well, nothing went wrong. I got to my first destination and picked up my buddy Thor, we loaded his bike up. I checked by brake fluid, my reservoir was empty... hmm... we stop by napa and grab some brake fluid and fill it up. No change in pedal feel. So we continue on our adventure, determined to bike and not die. By the time we get to our destination I am struggling to stop at all. It is taking 400meters to stop, so most of my braking is done with engine braking. But we make it alive, and unload the bikes. Thor was happy to be alive, but he was a trouper and trusted me not to kill us.

We get back from out 20 mile bike ride (where he kicked my @$$), and we start bleeding the brakes. It's going fine, we get the front two done. There were very few bubbles if any at all and no change in pedal feel. I go to do the passenger rear brakes and there is a puddle on the ground right under the soft brake line. I tell thor to push the pedal. The line bulges out to about twice the size and drips brake fluid onto the ground... crap... So we call my wife (who is going to come pick us up as well as AAA (man has my AAA membership paid for itself at this point). My wife arrives just after the tow truck.

We get to this point and as the tow driver is hooking up my van, he puts the hooks on in a way that it is going to torque up on my sway bar. So I ask if he minds if I move the chains above my sway bar, he gives me some lip about it but says "you do it". Then about 30 seconds later throws what is best described as a temper tantrum and says he's leaving as he starts putting away the chains. He worked for Byers towing in Rochester. He was rude, grumpy, and impatient from the start. So luckily the ice rink I was at said it was ok if I left my van there overnight. We went home.

I came back the next day, called AAA AGAIN, and they said byers should be there soon. I said no, give me someone else. So 30 minutes later a gentlemen from Troy towing was there. He was polite and excellent to work with. He dropped the van off right in front of my house and was on his way.

I had some parts overnighted from busdepot. Including my German brake lines made in china...and some oil strainer gasket kits.

Saturday, was work day. I changed my oil (which looked good. some metallic in my oil filter but non in the strainer or sump). I replaced both back soft brake lines, and bled the brakes. They feel great now. I also addressed some oil leaks on my oil lines to my filter. And on a walk with my wife there was a pub crawl at Atwater brewing and they have a new van.

Sunday was good. Detroit had it's first little vw meetup. There was Me, CCPalmer (yellow westy), Nshaddox (bubble car), and a little later WheeliePete (yes he has vw's) showed up too. We had a good time. We cruised Belle Isle where we talked vw, and life's predicaments. Then headed to corktown for some lunch. Then headed to Nshaddox's garage to wrench a little bit and stare our and discuss potential root causes. While there I fixed the spring in my drivers door handle and thanks to Nshaddox's generosity I greased my front beam for the low cost of a beer. I also found that my brake light switches are no longer functioning... So I'll be ordering a couple of those soon. I was busy enjoying the beautiful day, so I only managed to get one picture.

Everyone should really check out Nshaddox's thread here. His bubble car is pretty nuts: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=644402&highlight=

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I also found that my brake light switches are no longer functioning...
The reservoir ran dry. Did you bleed the switches? If they get air in them, they will still work but you have to apply a lot of pedal pressure.

The new switches have been reported to leak. Do some Research on the switch before you buy.

This one has been recommended in the past
https://www.airheadparts.com/Switch-Brake-Light-3-Prong-German/item/113-945-515%20G%20GR

Good luck
Tcash
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I also found that my brake light switches are no longer functioning...
The reservoir ran dry. Did you bleed the switches? If they get air in them, they will still work but you have to apply a lot of pedal pressure.

The new switches have been reported to leak. Do some Research on the switch before you buy.

This one has been recommended in the past
https://www.airheadparts.com/Switch-Brake-Light-3-Prong-German/item/113-945-515%20G%20GR

Good luck
Tcash

Crap, I wish I would have read this before I purchased new switches... I got the one from Bus Depot. I'll make sure to test my current ones when I get them out and the new ones in. (im hoping to not have to re-bleed the brakes)

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I am assuming you bled the master cylinder. If you did not you need to and bleed the switches while you are at it.
Good luck
Tcash
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I am assuming you bled the master cylinder. If you did not you need to and bleed the switches while you are at it.
Good luck
Tcash

I did not bench bleed my master. My pedal feel is excellent though, and I am not certain that air even got to my master cylinder. If I didn't bleed my master cylinder and needed to wouldn't I have trouble getting good pedal feel?

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I've NEVER bench bleed a VW master cylinder. My pedals have always been perfect after bleeding and adjusting the brakes.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

X2

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

And you've never had problems with your brake light switches because of not bench bleeding?

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Just crack the lines at the Master and the Switches as you would a bleeder valve. You ran it dry I would suggest bleeding it. Especially since your brake light switches are not working.
Good luck
Tcash
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Just crack the lines at the Master and the Switches as you would a bleeder valve. You ran it dry I would suggest bleeding it. Especially since your brake light switches are not working.
Good luck
Tcash

I'll give it a try. Pull down on the brake pedal while cracking my switches and maybe my lights will come back. *Crosses fingers*

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Tcash wrote:
Good luck
Tcash

I'll give it a try. Pull down on the brake pedal while cracking my switches and maybe my lights will come back. *Crosses fingers*

Didn't work for me. I cracked it and bled it a little., nothing happened. I replaced one switch and I got brake lights. I replaced the other one while I was at it. I also got my horn working again (my wire connection keeps disconnecting right under the steering column). I got my other e-brake cable in and adjusted. So I now have two e-brake cables functioning. I also worked on hooking up my duel brake circuit warning switch. I think I have it hooked up correctly, but it is on when the brakes aren't applied and goes off when I apply the brakes... so I either have a couple wires crossed or my switch on the dash light is sticking. I'll figure it out eventually. But before that, I have an intermittent charging issue... which sucks. I'm only getting 1.3v out of my alternator right now. But sometimes my dash light goes out, so I'm getting charging sometimes.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

No pictures because I'm lame and forgot to snap a picture while I was standing there somewhat pissed about the situation at hand.

Short story time: These past few days I have been driving my bus to work and back because the weather has been awesome! 70 and sunny. It's like I'm living in nor cal. But as some of you know that have been following my thread, my alternator isn't charging right now. So I have been getting back from work and hooking up my jumper cables to my truck and recharging my battery quick. This leaves my bus out front on the road parked. I live in a nice area, but apparently not as nice as I would have hoped. Today I came out of my house and looked at my bus Brutis, in all her glory, and it isn't long before I notice something is wrong here. My rear hubcap is missing! Some &$^ hole came along last night and took one of my hubcaps! (I can't blame the &$^ hole, they are cool hubcaps). So I quickly popped off the other hubcaps that I could get off with my hands and tossed them in the back of the bus before leaving for work in my truck.

in good news I did get a alternator from Wheelie Pete for cheap. Though I need to get it tested to make sure it works, so it was nice and cheap. I need to do brakes on my truck this weekend, so it may be early next week before I get to changing my alternator.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
My rear hubcap is missing! Some &$^ hole came along last night and took one of my hubcaps!

Just be glad they didn't steal your nose emblem with a crow bar!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 30

Jump to: