Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
My rear hubcap is missing! Some &$^ hole came along last night and took one of my hubcaps!

Just be glad they didn't steal your nose emblem with a crow bar!!!

Yeah, my back door would need replaced then. It's in my basement on a shelf for that reason. And after this, it'll stay there for a good long while.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

what do you do when you need to change your alternator, but have to get to and from work tomorrow morning? Use your wife's car to charge up your battery before you go to sleep of course. ... I've been doing this all week. It's getting old, fast.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Buy a backup battery and swap it instead?

Can you charge it at work perhaps?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Buy a backup battery and swap it instead?

Can you charge it at work perhaps?

Ima just change the alternator the first day I get. Hopefully Sunday.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Gee Gabe,if it wasn't for Bad luck,, u wouldn't have any luck at all Laughing
Bummer Crying or Very sad can u get it out without pulling the motor? enough room to fanangle it out? Confused I hope so,,,
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Gee Gabe,if it wasn't for Bad luck,, u wouldn't have any luck at all Laughing
Bummer Crying or Very sad can u get it out without pulling the motor? enough room to fanangle it out? Confused I hope so,,,

Tell me about it... I'm hoping to not have to pull the motor. I plan on taking off the carb and intake runner, and then hopefully I'll have enough room to finagle it out after that with the fan attached. Has anyone done this before? I tried to break that fan nut loose, it isn't happening with it in the car. I got good leverage and a good hold on the pulley. I could use both hands on a 2ft breaker bar and still nothing.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Hey hey, you shouldn't have a problem getting the alternator out if you can get the center intake manifold out, which requires removing the right side piece too! Razz

The "fan off" method is kinda crude, as you usually loose a washer, shim, or nut way down in the cylinder tin somewhere. If you have a spare generator stand gasket, you could theoretically remove the stand and get super easy access to the backing plate tin screws/bolts too.

Oh, caveat, I guess, I only did this once with an alternator, but it is way easier with a generator……
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I've done it without removing the engine. Was tough, I remember using a wooden shim at one point and finding it really handy for holding nuts in place I think.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

It should out easily after you loosen and raise the fan shroud...two bolts, thermostat disconnect, and strap, then lift and prop up to remove the four M6 bolts on the shroud facing aft.

Caveat, I've not done this with an alternator in recent history
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It should out easily after you loosen and raise the fan shroud...two bolts, thermostat disconnect, and strap, then lift and prop up to remove the four M6 bolts on the shroud facing aft.

Caveat, I've not done this with an alternator in recent history

Thank you. I'll give this way a shot. I'll try to document as I go for others.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well, the adventure continues. I started taking apart my engine to lift the shroud then I saw flat head tin screws holding it in (they were actually the screws holding the heater flaps >.<). So seeing this, I started looking for alternate ways to get at those screws... Long story short, I should have just dropped the engine. It would have been faster. I took nearly everything apart before figuring out my mistake. But the good news is, there is lateral play in my new alternator. So I have some rubbing. And I'll probably have to do it all over again soon. Even better though! the rubbing is causing my engine to need a carb adjustment because it wont idle now until fully warm. Which in Michigan during the fall, that's right about when I get to work (25-30min). But I think I'll be able to do this job in about 2-3 hours this next time. Which is much much faster than I did it this time (don't ask how long, it was embarrassingly long.)

I did find that I have what I would know as a water-oil mix coming out of my crankcase breather. Which I can only assuming is from condensation? It looks like latte, or what oil looks like if you have a bad head gasket leak. Has anyone else had this issue? You can see it in the following picture

And here are a few pictures of the process of changing my alternator.

The screws (8 of them... not a single one accessible) I thought I had to take out

Working on getting things off.

Alternator out.

Notice: fuel pump, dist, carb, intake boots, drivers side header, plus other small items all removed... most unnecessarily.

I did clean up the engine bay a little bit after this, though it is still a bit of a mess. I'll make it clean after I do this again.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well, it's been a while. I rocked a non-torqued alternator and fan for a while. But I'm getting around to fixing it. I got a cheap Chinese alternator and couldn't torque it down without it seizing. I found that the retaining plate for the bearing was really weak and had bent it when I torqued the fan nut down... here's a short video of what I'm talking about.

Link

And a picture of the altered retaining plate that o took from my dead externally regulated alternator by vw.

Overall, pretty happy with how the van has been running. It's been starting great every time, and getting me from point a to point b. I haven't had much time to work on it because I have been working on buying a house and taking care of my wife and baby to be. I am finally going to have a garage this winter though! Brutis won't be under her car cover anymore. I'll be able to start projects without finishing them before nightfall. It's gonna be great! But... I have a lot of stuff to take care of before that all can happen. Anyways, till next time.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Maybe one day my videos will reach erb level... ahhh one can only hope.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Dream on brother, dream on... Laughing

Congrats on the house - and garage!! Very Happy

You going to still drive that thing once the salt flies? I hope not! First salt fell in Ann Arbor today, too bad, as I was going to haul door slabs in my Bus next week. Guess I'll make a few trips in the truck.

As for your water in the oil do you only take short trips in the Bus? (i.e. 25 minute commute on surface roads) If your oil never gets really hot condensation in the oil will never burn off. A good 20-30 minute highway run should clear your oil of water.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
Dream on brother, dream on... Laughing

Congrats on the house - and garage!! Very Happy

You going to still drive that thing once the salt flies? I hope not! First salt fell in Ann Arbor today, too bad, as I was going to haul door slabs in my Bus next week. Guess I'll make a few trips in the truck.

As for your water in the oil do you only take short trips in the Bus? (i.e. 25 minute commute on surface roads) If your oil never gets really hot condensation in the oil will never burn off. A good 20-30 minute highway run should clear your oil of water.

Thanks man! And I'll have to drive it once this year for the move. I have no promises on not having to drive it more. But ima do my best not to.

And yes, that's exactly the drive I have to work. My oil is hitting around 175 as I pull into work. Lol just enough to build a good condensation.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

This alternator was crappier than I thought. I stopped a screw tightening down the fan. So apart it come again. For a Little grinding and drilling. The bearing in the alternator is still crap, and it has decent drag. I'm hoping it breaks it a little. Rolling Eyes anyways here's a picture of the alterations, I'll put it back in later this week hopefully.

scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
...The bearing in the alternator is still crap, and it has decent drag. I'm hoping it breaks it a little...

You know you can easily replace both bearings, right? They are usually less than $10-15 each.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
...The bearing in the alternator is still crap, and it has decent drag. I'm hoping it breaks it a little...

You know you can easily replace both bearings, right? They are usually less than $10-15 each.

Yeah, but that is 30% of the cost of this alternator. I should have just bought a good alternator. I'm leaning at the school of hard knox to buy once cry once. Maybe next time I'll only do this job once, instead of 8 times. lol

scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well, if this make sure you feel any better, i installed some two piece pushrod tubes when i first built my engine, against a couple folks recommendations. I had to pull the engine out and take off both heads they were leaking so badly. In the process of fixing that mistake, i pulled a head stud, and my bus sat on jack stands for about a month while i tried to fix all the issues i made for myself.

I mention the bearings because I’ve rebuilt an older AL78 alternator two years ago, and remembered the bearings being easy and relatively cheap. There’s not much to go wrong in a Bosch AL78 or AL82; change the bearings, spin the rotor with emory cloth on the commutator, and make sure the brushes are good and voltage output is stable.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
Well, if this make sure you feel any better, i installed some two piece pushrod tubes when i first built my engine, against a couple folks recommendations. I had to pull the engine out and take off both heads they were leaking so badly. In the process of fixing that mistake, i pulled a head stud, and my bus sat on jack stands for about a month while i tried to fix all the issues i made for myself.

I mention the bearings because I’ve rebuilt an older AL78 alternator two years ago, and remembered the bearings being easy and relatively cheap. There’s not much to go wrong in a Bosch AL78 or AL82; change the bearings, spin the rotor with emory cloth on the commutator, and make sure the brushes are good and voltage output is stable.

Yeah, Hopefully I learn my buy once cry once lesson before having to rebuild this engine. Sorry you had to pull your engine twice >.<

The next alternator I get will be a quality bosch unit and I'll rebuild and clean instead of replacing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 23 of 30

Jump to: