Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I got to work on Brutis this past good Friday, because I was off work. My drag link's front ball joint is really stuck on there. I ended up ordering a new drop arm and just replacing the whole lot because I couldn't get it off even with a pickle fork, heat, tie rod puller, PB blaster, nothing was working. I ended up torqueing it in there at an angle... bummer. So 25$ for a new drop arm and I'll have that all back in in 10 minutes once it comes in the mail.
I also re-torqued my heads (only the center bolt by number 2 cylinder was loose, not anymore), a quick valve adjustment (because I removed my rockers to retorque heads), and an oil change. My oil change went smooth, just one big piece, that seems to be aluminum foil... hmm... not metallic in the oil, just this thing... Would you be worried? I'm not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Piece of foil from the cover of a jug of oil? ...maybe?
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Piece of foil from the cover of a jug of oil? ...maybe?

I had not thought of that, and it seems spot on. Holy crap, I'd buy you a beer.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

So I got to Fix dash wiring after I messed it up failing to install my new tach, I had a wire touching on my headlight switch that shouldn't have been touching. Removed that, and put all my wires back. Good as new.

My drag link fiasco:
1) Replace drag link (get stuck removing drag link from drop arm, cuss a lot and waste a bunch of time to fail in the end)
2) Buy new drop arm because it just wouldn't disconnect from drag link.
3) repair steering box threads and threads on the nut for the steering box
4) Install new drop arm
5) Stop and catch my breath after that workout of torqueing that nut because the threads were a little messed up (don't worry I backed it out after a turn or two and check to make sure I wasn't messing up the threads on the gearbox. It's just tight)
6) Install new drag link, this took 3 minutes because I had to get up and change my battery on my impact. Fairly short list this time, but this is over the past week.

1) Retorque heads
2) Adjust valves
3) Drain oil, change filter, check oil strainer and replace seals
4) Fix dash wiring after I messed it up failing to install my new tach
5) Replace drag link (get stuck removing drag link from drop arm, cuss a lot and waste a bunch of time to fail in the end)
6) Buy new drop arm
7) repair steering box threads and threads on the nut for the steering box
Cool Install new drop arm
9) Stop and catch my breath after that workout
10) Install new drag link (took 3 months to get the right boot on it after the first one was shipped with a ripped boot)
11) Go for a drive! (was it worth it? Yes! it steers much more direct now. I just need to straighten my steering wheel a little and I'll be 100% other than the slop in my gearbox.)

Happy Monday everyone. I can't wait for spring to be here so bussing can commence! My bus is running well and ready to go! (other than the giant list of other stuff I have to do to the interior and the front wheel bearings and indexing my rear torsion bars and... well you get the idea)

HAPPY BUSSING!

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I got to drive Brutis to work Wednesday and Thursday this week! It was great! ... but now I'm having some PBFD (Post Bussing Fun Depression), the truck just isn't an engaging drive (though it is very comfy, and reliable). I took one photo of Brutis while waiting for a friend downtown Detroit. That's the Meridian building (previously Compuware), owned by Dan Gilbert the owner of most of Detroit, Quicken Loans, and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

jquillen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I live in northern Michigan – still waiting for that nice weather to come our way! Very jealous. Can't wait to get Pedro out and about!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

jquillen wrote:
I live in northern Michigan – still waiting for that nice weather to come our way! Very jealous. Can't wait to get Pedro out and about!

Was it nice enough this weekend? It was for me! I drove for close to 2 hours today! Brutis is running and driving smooth, but rich.

Link

KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Any weekend that you get to go out and explore with Brutis is a GOOOOOOOOD weekend! Dancing

And the best time of year is fast approaching. Cool

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I'll be driving my Bus for the first time today!! I've been so busy at work it's my first chance. Exciting!!! Very Happy

Soon it will be up north time!!
jquillen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Was it nice enough this weekend? It was for me! I drove for close to 2 hours today! Brutis is running and driving smooth, but rich.

Still lots of snow in Traverse City, but the roads are finally clear and dry. Started getting "Pedro" ready for spring this weekend. Still need to finish installing a new engine bay seal, change the oil and put the batteries back in. I hope to have her on the road this weekend!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

jquillen wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Still lots of snow in Traverse City, but the roads are finally clear and dry. Started getting "Pedro" ready for spring this weekend. Still need to finish installing a new engine bay seal, change the oil and put the batteries back in. I hope to have her on the road this weekend!

ccpalmer wrote:
I'll be driving my Bus for the first time today!! I've been so busy at work it's my first chance. Exciting!!! Very Happy

Whoop Whoop! Bussing time in Michigan is upon us! Where it's nearly perfect temperature for these aircooled engines for oh.... 4-6 months. Then we hide them from the salt monster over the winter.

jquillen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
jquillen wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

ccpalmer wrote:

Whoop Whoop! Bussing time in Michigan is upon us! Where it's nearly perfect temperature for these aircooled engines for oh.... 4-6 months. Then we hide them from the salt monster over the winter.

Got up to 64 today in TC! I couldn't wait until the weekend! Installed a new engine bay seal, replaced the air filter, changed the oil, connected the battery and Pedro started right up! What a beautiful day for a ride!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Im a dad! And its a boy! So ive been taking care of him eith most of my time.

As for the bus I've just been driving Brutis lately. I've gotten to prepare my future carbs for installation, and dabbled with a little electrical things. But yesterday I got away for a couple hours and changed my exhaust. It sounds better but I think I had an exhaust leak previously. It does seem to drive better up top and it's easier to get a smooth shift, and seems to start and idle a bit better. Some may be placebo but I think there was for sure an improvement. I don't like the look as much though.

The old stock style exhaust

The new 1 3/8" exhaust. It cost me some good summer shady beer for my buddy wheeliepete.

I have found I have a good oil leak. The oil is pretty much everywhere, I think I messed up the oil cooler seals when I changed my alternator a while back. Anyway, I'll be pulling the engine for some cleanup from this oil leak and change out my carbs. I'm excited!

As for the driving I've been doing I took some pictures of Brutis and some murals at eastern market in Detroit. Check it out:

I've also done some highway drives, and my oil temperature I've seen is upwards of 240F, but I stopped for a minute and the gauge went down to 220 by the time I hooked back up my crankcase breather and got back into the car. I doubt my oil lost 20F in the literal minute I had it off. So I have concerns about accuracy at higher temperatures or maybe just extended driving. I'm thinking the sensor is in moving oil instead of sitting oil and I'm getting some air temperature effect. I'm not sure though. I have my sensei in the type 3 dipstick cover plate. Has anyone seen that or have other theories?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

Congratulations!, your life will never be the same! Wink

Your oil temps don't sound alarming, it's odd that it would drop like that, maybe that's a dead corner of the sump and the stuff that was in circulation soaked up some of the heat as it sat? Or is the sensor getting radiant heat from your badass exhaust?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

Congratulations!, your life will never be the same! Wink

Your oil temps don't sound alarming, it's odd that it would drop like that, maybe that's a dead corner of the sump and the stuff that was in circulation soaked up some of the heat as it sat? Or is the sensor getting radiant heat from your badass exhaust?

Thanks!

I'm thinking the dead corner theory may be right. Although idk how to test without just moving the sensor, but that means making another hole...

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

My son got me up early enough this morning that by the time I was on my way to work, I got to see a sunrise behind me. Snapped a quick picture.
The bus has been great to drive with this new exhaust, It's night and day. I can't wait till I get to swap out carbs and replace these leaking oil cooler seals (to come in July)

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Someone say Oil cooler seals
Oil cooler seals T2

GD
Tcash
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I made a bracket for my oil temp gauge finally! I only had gold spray paint because my black went bad...oh well you cant see it anyway. Check it out, no more zipties!

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Now that Johan is a 5 weeks old, he finally got to check out Brutis a little bit. I think he approves.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

I doubt my oil lost 20F in the literal minute I had it off. So I have concerns about accuracy at higher temperatures or maybe just extended driving.

busdaddy wrote:

Hey Gabe -

Just saw this post. I have the same thing happen - oil at 230-245* on the highway, but when I make a quick stop then start driving again the temp drops 20-40 degrees in that minute. Always made me wonder. I have confirmed my gauge with laser thermo on various parts of the engine.

And I don't have a badass exhaust... Crying or Very sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 30

Jump to: