Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

I doubt my oil lost 20F in the literal minute I had it off. So I have concerns about accuracy at higher temperatures or maybe just extended driving.

busdaddy wrote:

Your oil temps don't sound alarming, it's odd that it would drop like that, maybe that's a dead corner of the sump and the stuff that was in circulation soaked up some of the heat as it sat? Or is the sensor getting radiant heat from your badass exhaust?

Hey Gabe -

Just saw this post. I have the same thing happen - oil at 230-245* on the highway, but when I make a quick stop then start driving again the temp drops 20-40 degrees in that minute. Always made me wonder. I have confirmed my gauge with laser thermo on various parts of the engine.

And I don't have a badass exhaust... Crying or Very sad

I've checked mine with a laser thermo too. I have not checked it at 240*, but I have at 220-225 and it was accurate. It just drops sooo quickly!

I'm hoping my new exhaust will help temps a little, I'll let you know if it does and you can upgrade to the cool kid exhaust club. lol
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I got my new tach in the mail today, and with the help of my dad it is in and running today!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well, not much work going on for the van. I've been needing to keep up with maintenance on my truck lately with the little bit of car time I get. I have an offset pulley right now that is slowly eating belts, so I'll be fixing that soon. And I still have oil cooler seals leaks. Hoping to drop the engine to do those and another small upgrade soon.

Over the 4th of July we went to see my grandparents and my grandmother had found my new favorite cup in he cupboard and gave it to me as a gift. It's from busses by the beach. She had it nicely wrapped when I arrived what a pleasant surprise!

Anyway, I've just been daily driving Brutis and getting more confident in her.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I haven't had time lately, but today and part of tomorrow I get time! So for today's agenda we have:

Saturday:
Drain oil
Remove engine
Valve adjustment
Broke man's compression test (video upon request)
Remove 34pict3 and intakes
Remove fan shroud
Replace oil cooler seals
Replace fan shroud
Put on Weber 40 IDFs
Make and run fuel lines from pump to carbs
Replace throw out bearing
Sound dreaden on-site gas tank area/gas tank
Re-install engine? ( this may be where tomorrow begins but perhaps where today ends)

Sunday:
Install and tune

... this seems like a lofty goal, but i should have help sunday

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
I haven't had time lately, but today and part of tomorrow I get time! So for today's agenda we have:

Saturday:
Drain oil - check
Remove engine - check
Valve adjustment - check -all were withing .001 of .006! After 1,300 miles since last adjustment.)
Broke man's compression test (video upon request) - check
Remove 34pict3 and intakes - check
Remove fan shroud - check
Replace oil cooler seals - check
Replace fan shroud - check
Put on Weber 40 IDFs - check
Make and run fuel lines from pump to carbs - happening Sunday
Replace throw out bearing - happening Sunday now.
Sound dreaden on-site gas tank area/gas tank -may get removed from list.
Re-install engine? ( this may be where tomorrow begins but perhaps where today ends) - Sunday

Sunday:
Install and tune

... this seems like a lofty goal, but i should have help sunday

Alright, not too bad. I have to remount my coil in a new location ... and I need to get 1/4" fuel fittings on the carbs. They have bigger ones atm. Then fill with oil, replace throw out bearing, maybe do sound deadening in the gas tank area, and reinstall, re-plumb the electrical wires and ... hmm.. may not even finish this weekend. Sad day. Anyway, here are some pictures of the findings and the process.
The oil cooler had two of the three nuts halfway off... I'm no genius, but I think that's where I was leaking oil lol

Got her out

Clean side of oil cooler

The not so clean side...

Aligned my pulleys properly

And got the new carbs on! *insert cat call here*

Maybe one of these days I'll have enough time to move past plumbers tape covering up all the holes in my tin... hmm... not today though.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well, wheelie pete came by this morning and helped out. We readjusted the fan shroud again. We fiddled with the carbs to get them all lined up and a little smoother. We mounted the coil, ran fuel lines, and got the engine in the van. I still have some buttoning up to do, run wires back, and get it all tuned up. But overall not a bad short 4hrs today and 6 yesterday. Doable in a day.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I got an hour to work on the van tonight.

-wiring cleaned up and plugged in.
-fuel lines hooked up and checked for leaks (Not running)
-mustache bar tightened up
-thermostat set
-lower tin in
Throttle return spring hole drilled and spring mounted

To do:
One last bolt to bolt the engine to the trans
Fill with oil
Accelerator cable
Apron And bumper
Attach negative battery cable.

Tune carbs

Bagger04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Thought I'd just say hi. We moved to Port Huron,so not much time for Dobie this summer, got all new cables in and heater all hooked up, should fire up by Labor Day. Hope alls well by you. Bus is looking good, been following your adventures.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Bagger04 wrote:
Thought I'd just say hi. We moved to Port Huron,so not much time for Dobie this summer, got all new cables in and heater all hooked up, should fire up by Labor Day. Hope alls well by you. Bus is looking good, been following your adventures.

Hey! Nice to hear from you. It sounds like you're ahead of me on bus function. I don't have heat lol

We need to get a group if us together for a cruise and beer sometime before summer. Maybe I'll send out a group message soon. I've been so busy with my little one I haven't had time.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Apron in.
Engine fully bolted up.
Wiring done.

Needs oil, a negative battery terminal, and Tuning! Wheelie pete is coming by tomorrow and hopefully before the end of the day we will be road worthy. Maybe not 100% dialed in but hopefully 90%.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Oil filled, timed to 28.5 at 3500rpm. Somewhat synced carbs... but I have an intake leak on my passenger side. I thought I solved it when I found my old paper gasket under the new metal intake gasket. Who did that?! ... oh wait... That was me... oops. Anyway took the old gasket out, torqued it back down and it's better... but not 100%. And now I have a whistle... kinda like my fan is rubbing. Here it is running.

Link

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I finished fixing that intake leak about 2 weeks ago, synced the carbs up better and she runs decent. The 009 has a little bogging at lower rpm, but overall not bad. And she runs cool!

I drove her on the highway (65-70mph) this morning (70*F) for 45 minutes today and oil temps were chilling at 215.
On the way home same route back @65-72mph, at 85*F and a good head wind, and my oil temp didn't go above 225. Excellent!
And she had power to spare, I had to keep my foot out of it to keep temps down, she would have done 75-80 before running out of rpms

And a picture from my parking spot at work last week.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well... there might be a sad day coming soon. I posted Brutis up for sale recently on my local CL. I have someone coming to look at it on Friday. I wont be disappointed if they don't buy her. Either way I'll likely be selling her at some point in the foreseeable future. Hopefully I'll replace her with a motorcycle.

It just doesn't make any sense to keep her. The money would be nice, the extra garage space would be nice, the not having to tinker with her so I have more time with the family would be nice, getting to drive my F150 which has a radio and never needs worked on so is essentially free to drive and gets better MPG would be nice, but it would be a very sad day indeed if I sell her. Crying or Very sad

I'll keep you all posted.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

No, nada, nope don't sell ,,,, I regretted sell off my dub's ,,,, just think about it
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
No, nada, nope don't sell ,,,, I regretted sell off my dub's ,,,, just think about it

I have. It's a logical decision. This part of my mechanics learning has been great. I have a very sound understanding of the inner working of engines, carburation, and how timing, fuel, and engine temps correlate. This time has been invaluable, but if I want to improve and continue learning mechanics I need to move on (this information on Acvw I'm learning is just out of date). I'm sure I'll still be around the forum and always halfway looking to buy another acvw. But my Jetta glide will be getting most of my attention for a while.

Bagger04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your choice, but theres times Im so over the bus thing. What ever you decide Im sure is good for you and your family.
ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I try to have no regrets in life.

But if I did, they would involve only women and Buses...
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Good news: I'll be keeping the bus, at least for now.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 26 of 30

Jump to: