Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Good news: I'll be keeping the bus, at least for now.

Dancing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I'm glad you're keeping it. I often have to stop working on my bus because of lack of time or money to do it right. Sometimes I get burned out with the whole thing and just walk away for awhile. This feeling always goes away...I get a little time here and there, some spare cash and I'm on fire again. Take the time to live the other parts of your life and let the bus be. It will still be there when the time is right again.
Bagger04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

That's good news,Glad your keeping it. lots of work in it. Have to get you up here in the spring, Big ships and busses make great pictures.
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Since you say it was good news that you are keeping the bus, I assume it must be. I found out early in life(at age 17) not to sell something that I couldn't replace for the same or less money, even when financial times seemed to dictate otherwise. I regretted that sale, and as that vehicle rode away( it was a motorcycle), I knew it was a mistake.
A couple of years later, I worked at a motorcycle shop, and I would see a fairly steady stream of customers come in with long faces, having had to sell their motorcycles for whatever reason, and now not having enough resources to buy another. The look of regret on their faces solidified my resolve.
So, don't make a mistake! If you do not want the bus, then fine, sell it, but if you think it would be a mistake, figure out another way. Only you know, and good luck with it!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

*caution, sarcasm to follow*

Welp, great things happened with the bus today. I got a sweet red light on my dash, it was beautiful. So I stopped to see if I could turn it off when I turned off the van. It did! What great news! My oil raised 25* while I was stopped all the way up to 210! That's like actual operating temps! I hadn't hit those yet, and I was 40 minutes into my highway drive at 70. I got a sweet souvenir when I opened my engine bay, looks kinda like a piece of tire. But I was prepared to participate in this gift exchange for once! So I unpackaged my spare belt and even put it on my van's neck. She didn't love it though, as she proceeded to whine the entire way home! complaining about her alternator bearing or some crap rubbing up against the fan blades occasionally, it was very inconsistent but definitely from her fan. Either way, It is starting to snow around here so I'll be dropping the engine for an alternator change and to tighten my oil cooler that I'm about 90% sure I forgot to torque down last time. She did good this season though, I'm proud of her.

And one last photo from the summer/fall. A little DCFC pride included.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Welp, after about a month of sitting in the cold (right around freezing) without being started, I went to start her up and move her last night. Because I needed the garage to do some work and stay out of the wind. I pumped the gas a few times to get it nice and rich, turned the key and right to life she roared. Still sounds about like hell due to the fan, but its re-assuring that there wasn't anything that was thrown off by losing the fan belt. I'm hoping to get to pull the engine by Christmas time to fix the oil leak that I messed up the first time, and the fan issue. Maybe improve my linkage as well... I really need to improve my linkage. Suggestions?

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Welp, this is a familiar place. This thing is simply covered in oil! And I think my trans is leaking from under the axle too... sigh... better take care of that while the engine is out.

It went faster though, 35-45 minutes. Not too bad. Hopefully the oil fixes are easy too and then I can throw it back in there without much trouble.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Wow record time ,, mine needs the same ,, you coming NORTH ??? Laughing Laughing Laughing actually my shop/garage is tied up Rolling Eyes has a Rally car in it getting prepped for the Sno-Drift here Laughing so my bus is out in the snow Embarassed
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
Wow record time ,, mine needs the same ,, you coming NORTH ??? Laughing Laughing Laughing actually my shop/garage is tied up Rolling Eyes has a Rally car in it getting prepped for the Sno-Drift here Laughing so my bus is out in the snow Embarassed

I'd come north if you're coming south lol.
And sweet! What kinda car are you using for snow drifting?

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

96 Honda civic, won his class 2 yrs ago Cool

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

would you mind linking what you added to change your muffler from the pea-shooter

looking to change mine next time I pull my engine

can't hand the exhaust clamps anymore!!! they drive me nuts trying to put em back on
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

scubasteve321 wrote:
would you mind linking what you added to change your muffler from the pea-shooter

looking to change mine next time I pull my engine

can't hand the exhaust clamps anymore!!! they drive me nuts trying to put em back on

I can. but spoiler: I still have exhaust clamps.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well, it's update time. I finally got about an hour and a half in the garage last night to take stuff apart and inspect what was going on.

Things completed:
Throw out bearing replaced
Engine inspected

Good news: The grinding noise was just the fan on the backing plate. I have two pictures of this where you can see where the fan was rubbing and the backing plate has burning and the fan is nice and shinny.

Good news: I did torque down my oil cooler, and it seemed to be sealing well. Which leads me to the bad...

Bad news: If I am correct and my seals were working well, then that means my oil cooler is leaking and I would need a new one. I have a video of the oil cooler before any cleaning, I'll post there here too. Opinions are welcome and appreciated. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place for my oil leak? Again, opinion welcomed.

Youtube Video:

Link

Pictures of Fan and Backing plate:

Obligatory Garage picture of the chaos:

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

"Two car garage" sure ends up meaning "one ACVW garage" sometimes, doesn't it! Razz

I can only see the upper oil cooler seals in your video. Have you inspected the lower case-to-flange seals? Do you have a good air compressor that can put out 80psi for a leak check?

Not to nit-pick, but it looks like your Hoover bit is missing half of itself:

Thanks for the pic, Xatie Wink

The one on the left looks like an aftermarket creation, but it shows the necessary right angle piece. The one on the right looks like what you're dealing with. Funny, when I forgot to bolt my fan shroud down properly years ago, I turned my Hoover bit into one like yours. Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
"Two car garage" sure ends up meaning "one ACVW garage" sometimes, doesn't it! Razz

I can only see the upper oil cooler seals in your video. Have you inspected the lower case-to-flange seals? Do you have a good air compressor that can put out 80psi for a leak check?

Not to nit-pick, but it looks like your Hoover bit is missing half of itself:

Thanks for the pic, Xatie Wink

The one on the left looks like an aftermarket creation, but it shows the necessary right angle piece. The one on the right looks like what you're dealing with. Funny, when I forgot to bolt my fan shroud down properly years ago, I turned my Hoover bit into one like yours. Wink

Robbie

I have not inspected the lower seals, I'll check that next, I have to get to them to change out the cooler anyway.

I have never seen the part on the left, I'll look into that. I'm sure I can get one locally cheap. But first I have to figure out how that goes oon. Lol

Just looked into the Hoover bits. Is it worth switching to the style on the left?

Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I have a mexican VW doghouse fan shroud (through the old RockyMtn.Motorworks) when I bought the doghouse upgrade kit for my old 1600SP motor.

I read that the mexican doghouse doesn't need a hoover bit, but I had one from awesome powdercoat and I still used it, but had to cut off the section that is missing in the photo to make it fit correctly - that section of the mexican doghouse shroud does not need a hoover bit, but the front side with the single cheese head screw hole does serve a purpose with the mexican shroud. Maybe you have a mexican doghouse shroud as well?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Thanks Ry-dog, didn't know that.

Spike, do you know if yours is Mexican?

I crushed a few oil cooler seals a few years ago by getting my washers all mixed up… The splits that leaked is actually in the crotch of where the step is. I don't recall if the outer splits went all the way through or not. Weirdly enough, these held oil just fine for a few thousand miles. Colin had a similar leak in the exact same spot as well.

Good washer/seal discussion here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Just finished reading through your build thread. Great stuff man. Glad you decided to keep the ol' girl. I'm still where you were at on page 1, so its always cool to see the current state of a project that looked like mine does now Cool

I've owned about 15-20 vintage motorcycles since getting into them a few years ago, and while they are fun, you can't tote around a bunch of family and friends in em. If you're looking into something vintage I can probably give you some input on em.

Keep on bussin'
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Ry-dog. Thanks for the headd up. I'll check when I get the chance. Any Suggestions on how to tell the difference?

Asiab, no I dont have anything to test it with, or I'd just do so. I can stick some in it and do my best to add pressure but no good way to maintain the pressure. I'm also not sure what washers you are talking about. I'll read that link you sent me in a few and maybe be enlightened.
EDIT: read through that thread, it's a good discussion on required crush of the seals. I dont believe I have any washers there. Maybe I shouldthough, I like the idea of have a space to determine proper squish.. but I'm type 1 powered and I'm not sure I'll have a location to add that (if I see necessary to achieve proper 30% squish)

Advco, thanks. It's been a lot of work but worth it. I've learned a ton and had some fun. Its really encouraging to drive something you built yourself. There's a lot of pride in it. I'm sure you get the same with your vintage bikes. I'll hit you up to discuss bikes if I end up selling it.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

I don't care for the looks of the hub hole in the fan one little bit, very worn and close to failure.

Too bad this is NLA: https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Oil-Cooler-Tester-p/vw-11.htm , although it's not hard to make, or find one to borrow.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: