Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
After all that? Well, hopefully the new owner won’t blow the engine in 3 weeks and then the whole community here blame you for it. Sucks when that happens...

Ha! Laughing
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
After all that? Well, hopefully the new owner won’t blow the engine in 3 weeks and then the whole community here blame you for it. Sucks when that happens...

That would never happen! ... Rolling Eyes

... ok, it could happen. When the parts for these engines are as bad as they are, no one is safe. And the previous owner is always to blame.

**Current owner, please note this. You are welcome to smear my name here. It really doesn't matter if people care what I think or what they think of my work quality.**
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

’65 Deluxe Build
Bagger04
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Sorry to see you sold the bus, but life has a habit of getting in the way sometimes.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Yesterday the new owner picked up Brutis. I got news he made it home safely and uneventfully. Its bitter sweet, but a needed life move.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

First ever poo pail champion!!!
Thanks notch!

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Not much to update. I checked the valves (again. I couldnt remember if I checked since I lost oil.) They were all within. 002". Then I went for a nice cruise down by the lake. I have this thing so I can enjoy it after all. Then swung by Kroger for some brats to grill. Overall a good night. And took a picture while leaving. It wasn't very good, but filters help lol

The kids walking down the street there stopped me and we chatted for a minute. They got my number because one of the girls thought her brother would be interested in buying the van. Havent heard from him yet.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
This would also help keep your oil lines cooler.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-210040?seid...8YQAvD_BwE

I'm leaning towards this. If ima have to fab the deflector anyway, I've got some scrap laying around I can use. Thanks though.

This link isn't a bad cost. I might go for that. Thanks again.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

This would also help keep your oil lines cooler.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-210040?seid...8YQAvD_BwE
’65 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Here’s a pic of the heat shield. It hooks to the sled tin screws and directs the mustache bar. When this was made I had a custom mustache bar made because I had a CB 30mm in/out pump installed. So it might need a little tweaking to clear a stock bar. I looked for a pic, but the only pic I found of that area didn’t have the shield installed yet. I think it was 2014 when I used it. Let me know if your interested.

’65 Deluxe Build
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Rich: if you've got a picture already, sure send it my way. I might be interested.

Also! She is fixed! .... well she doesn't puke oil everywhere anymore. I jacked the engine up a smidge. Supported it with 4x4s and 2x4s then released the mustache bar for room. This gave me plenty of room to work. I cut about an inch off the oil line to give me a nice fresh mating purchase. Dried both the line and the fitting. Then refit the line and hose clamp. Then refit my mustache bar, and removed the word supports.

Upon inspecting the oil line I dont think that it was on straight. As a result, the oil line didnt have good grip and slipped off under pressure. I gave the line a really good tug to test it after securing the line. It didnt move. I'll get a highway run in sometime to validate the fix, but for now: Success! I shall bask in my accomplishment and drink a beer!

And then tomorrow I'll fix my other old crap. Aka my truck (basic maintenance) and Jetta (ignition switch. Its nice to know vw electrical issues stayed consistent lol).

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
. So i've also been on the lookout for some of the flexible heat shield like they put on turbos to keep the heat off the lines for about a year now. I've found some good options, but I'm just being cheap.

I have a custom heat shield made out of aluminum that attaches to the sled tin and redirects the air over the lines. I’ll look for it and post a pic. If you’re interested in it you can have it for the shipping cost.
’65 Deluxe Build
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Also, the oil filter line was tucked up under the car much better before this too... I need to get that tucked up there so it doesn't get snagged on anything and I would again lose all my oil...

Suggestion for those giong on long road trips: bring oil, and not just a quart. Bring 3-5 quarts. So if this happens you can fix your oil line (or whatever dropped all your oil) and refill your oil and continue.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Bum deal Spike, I’m glad you found the issue. Was that oil line held on by a hose clamp? If so, you might want to look into AN fittings and maybe some stronger hose. I use Parker hoses and fittings, they are a little pricy but totally worth the money. The hoses look like they are hanging a little low and close to the manifold and heat exchanger. My hoses were run similar on my first external cooler, we fabricated a heat shield to protect the hoses from the heat of the manifold. Just a thought.

Bus is looking great in this pics, even though you guys were waiting for AAA.

I've thought about AN fittings, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Bus funds and more importantly bus time are really low right now.
It was just held by a hose clamp. I had an issue with it leaking when I put the engine back in about a month ago. so I had pushed it back on good, and tightened it up. Maybe I tightened it too much and it split? idk. That or maybe the hose is too big? I'll be looking into it soon.

The oil lines aren't too close to the HEs, picture looks worse than it is. But they do get hot air off the cylinders blowing essentially right on them. So i've also been on the lookout for some of the flexible heat shield like they put on turbos to keep the heat off the lines for about a year now. I've found some good options, but I'm just being cheap. Most of the good stuff I find is $50-$100, and I'm just struggling to pull the trigger for it. Because being in Michigan, I've been able to just watch my temps thus far.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Bum deal Spike, I’m glad you found the issue. Was that oil line held on by a hose clamp? If so, you might want to look into AN fittings and maybe some stronger hose. I use Parker hoses and fittings, they are a little pricy but totally worth the money. The hoses look like they are hanging a little low and close to the manifold and heat exchanger. My hoses were run similar on my first external cooler, we fabricated a heat shield to protect the hoses from the heat of the manifold. Just a thought.

Bus is looking great in this pics, even though you guys were waiting for AAA.
’65 Deluxe Build
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Welp. Nearly 2 weeks later. It was Tuesday or Wednesday I out oil in her. And that held for the most part. Then tonight I tried firing her up to see if I could find the leak. And my oil light didnt go out. So I shut her off. Tried a second time. Same thing... so I go back and check. Huge pudding on the ground. YAY! OIL FILTER LINE! The best remaining outcome.

Link

You can see where the oil is flowing out of the mustache bar.
and where the oil line is no longer attracted.

And the puddle. Also seen at the end of the YouTube video.

I'll hopefully fix this in the near future. But I have a ignition switch ine thr Jetta gli to fix and a hydraulic brake line to replace on my truck first. All in due time.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Well it was sunday morning, my friend and I jumped in and she started right up. Pushed the gas and off we go, happily shifting through gears. We make a quick stop to pick up my brother, the head towards the highway. Everything still nice and happy. Sounding great. Oil temps low. No backfiring. We hop on the highway, and she is happily humming along at 65 in the right lane. Not drifting of being pushed by the wind. I'm checking the lights, temps, and rpm about every exit or so. We are about 15 miles down the road and I check everything again. Hmmm... that's weird, my oil light is on. I'm immediately get off the gas and clutch in. No weird noises, I hadn't lost power, nothing out of the ordinary other than the light. I cut the engine (about 3-5 seconds after seeing the light). And we coast up the off ramp of I-94 West.

I go around back and I can see the line of oil leading to the back of the van. It isn't just drips, this is like a stream. I pop the engine lid, and it seems dry there. Ok, thats good. I look underneither, and there is oil everywhere. sigh... Could I maybe have diagnosed, sure. But I didn't have more than 3/4 quarts of oil with me. So without oil I wasn't about to run it, and there was no way to determine where the leak was without running it. So AAA it was. I was concerned my friend and brother would be upset, but they were loving every minute. Who doesn't want to me broken down in a 1970 vw bus in a not so good area of Detroit on a sunday morning? That's bucket list stuff right there!

So I took a picture of the people having a good time.

And the Instagram version:

More to come when I get done being angry and bother to diagnose and fix it. I've got bigger fish to fry in my life right now.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Adjusted (more like checked) my valve on 3-4. No change to how it was running. Still backfiring. So I went through the initial setup for Weber idfs. It was running better? But not really. At this point I needed to talk, so I called wheelie Pete. He thought it sounded like it was running rich. So I took his guess and leaned her out. Then I gave her a tad more advance and Bam! Or more like no more bam. She purred nicely. Still not 100, but way way better. I'm confident there aren't any vacuum leaks and timing is right and AFR is fine for the weekend. HAPPY DAYS!

Bad news is that its supposed to storm Sunday for the vintage Volkswagen festival. Crap... hopefully it changes.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Got a new seal. Installed new seal. Fixed vacuum leak. Yay!

... totally backfiring through the carb. So I messed with the carb settings... like an idiot. While the engine was still warming up. Sooo, gonna do a valve adjustment tomorrow. Then run through a quick carb setup procedure. Then should be good to go. Key word there: should.

Pictures!
Old gasket:

Head matting surface:

New gasket on:

Intake matting surface:

Yes I straight edged my intake surface and it was true. I wasn't able to do the head surface, because the engine is installed and i just dont have time or tools for that BS.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

advCo wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:

I'll be at the vintage Volkswagen festival in ypsilanti this year on may 19th. I hope to see some of you out there.

Cool, we're moving to Chicago this fall, hopefully the bus will be ready to make the trip next year Cool

That'd be awesome! You could make the drive for the show without the van this year. Just throwing it out there.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 30

Jump to: