Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

oh wow, I wasn't even looking at that. Good catch busdaddy, thanks.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Here is a good photo of a mexican doghouse fan shroud at the interface with the oil cooler. Note the area where the sheet metal is very close to/touching the side of the oil cooler (that is the section of the hoover bit that gets cut off). The other area where you see the two bolt/nuts (for attaching to the adapter) is where I saw a need for the 'partial' hoover bit.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I just checked and I don't think I have a Mexican doghouse fan shroud. Too bad. Although I cant find the part number or any stamping on my fan shroud. Though it does appear to be a repaint.

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Ry-dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

My mexican fan shroud did not have any stampings. Only a VW decal that stated it was 'Made in Mexico'.
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Welp, I had a little more time this weekend to work on Brutis.

Findings:
1: Oil cooler mount bolts were loose, and seals were covered in oil. I cleaned and tightened those up with some loc-tite. Hopefully this time they stay nice and tight.

2: I cleaned stuff up... took a while... still plenty of that to do.

3: Pulled plugs and found #3 was running lean, # 4 was a little rich, and 1-2 were looking maybe a smidge lean, but even and I'm pretty happy with those.

#1 is closest (right side of photo), # 4 is furthest (left side of photo)

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

I got some time to work this weekend. First thing, I got a full Hoover but installed. I did need one. So asiab3, thank you. And my fan was messed up. I got a new one of those too. I opened up my alternator because I had to get my pulley off and I noticed it wasn't spinning freely, I found my bearing destroyed! Half the bearings were in about half with flat spots all over and the others were missing. I'll post a picture of that later this week if I can get a good picture. So my current theory is that the alternator bearing failed, seized, them the fan belt ripped up and gave in. So I also got another alternator. And the lesson learned here is that cheap alternators suck. Dont buy them. Lol

I'm also replacing the oil line to my oil filter with the proper line, which I recently found out was fuel vapor line Shocked

A picture of the Hoover bit:

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

A picture of just how many bearings were toasted. About half were missing, and you can see the remnants of a bearing there and two of the bearings have completely flat spots of them.

(The rust is flash rust from sitting outside the last couple nights. Although that bearing was dry come to think of it... probably why it failed... hmm)

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Progress was made today. I got my carbs put back on (I didnt get to upgrade the linkage in any way like I wanted to), fuel lines hooked up, valves adjusted (cycle exhaust was a little tight after losing the belt but nothing major), thermostat adjusted and reinstalled, lower cylinder tins reinstalled, front tin reinstalled and cover plates "fabricated" and installed, and installed and adjusted the fan belt. The only thing left to do outside of putting it back in the van is the rear main seal.

Pictures of the front "fabricated" tin plates. They're pretty emberrasingly bad. But they'll keep the air out.

Oh and It was pointed out to me that one of my oil oines was a fuel vapor line, so that got replaced. The lower oil line there is the new one.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Looking good!

That alternator bearing is amazing; I’m surprised it even rotated!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Looking good!

That alternator bearing is amazing; I’m surprised it even rotated!

Robbie

I think there was another bearing in there before i removed it or something because once it was out it was getting stuck all the time. I'm amazed it didnt seize together and just stop. But I'm glad it didnt, because she got me the 20 miles home! They will give their life!

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Its finally getting warm! And my engine is still on the floor! Its killing me. But the last weekend in April this thing will be all system go.

In the mean time, jack_o_trades hooked me up with the rear hatch torsion bar isolators. They're good quality. Seems to be very similar rubber, though my old one was pretty rock hard. He was very timely, with good communication as well. I believe he is selling them now. But here are some pictures.

The new ones:

And the old one(s) lol
dont act like you're not impressed.

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Update time. Last weekend I had some time to get stuff done. Wheelie Pete came over and lend a hand as well. We popped off the flywheel to inspect for oil leaks and found that gallery plug was flopping around loose like a flag in the wind. So we drained the oil, used a torch to clean up the residual oil, cleaned up the face of the case and everything else around. And applied some high heat gasket maker goop to stop the leak. The jury is still out on if this fixed the leak coming from behind the flywheel.

Next we slapped the engine back in. Went it smooth, took about an hour or two to get it lined up, and get all the obnoxious bolts that I cant really reach behind the fan shroud. Plumbed it all up, and waited for the gasket maker to cure. So 48hrs later (12-24 was recommended, but its a little cold and my wife had the key. So I waited.) I went to start it up. … and again... and again... no luck. I've got no boom boom boom boom (one "boom" per cylinder). I did a very small amount of investigating. I checked for spark at the coil. Check. I checked for a crimped fuel line, looks alright. So I'm waiting to do more investigating when I get time and hopefully a helping hand to crank the engine with the key.

And obviously I had to add this crappy nighttime phone picture to prove it is indeed in the van.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Might just need more cranking to get fuel built up again. Did you use Stabil over the winter? Fuel coming out of the accel. pump?

Mine started up nicely today after a few cranks. Yahoo! Very Happy
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

ccpalmer wrote:
Might just need more cranking to get fuel built up again. Did you use Stabil over the winter? Fuel coming out of the accel. pump?

Mine started up nicely today after a few cranks. Yahoo! Very Happy

I had cranked for a couple minutes straight. No luck. But it was just no gas. Threw some gas down the carbs and blead the system a little with the help of wheelie Pete and she fired right up. The improvements to the exhaust system helped a lot. She sounds nice. So after a new house clamp on my high pressure oil line to my filter, I was all set to go. We went for a drive down lake shore and she even started to idle alright (500rpm, but not fully warmed up). All with 7 month old gas. What a champ.

To do:
Put bumper back on
Wash
Clean out my tools from inside the van
Drive
Take a picture or two

I'll be at the vintage Volkswagen festival in ypsilanti this year on may 19th. I hope to see some of you out there.

ccpalmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Threw some gas down the carbs and blead the system a little with the help of wheelie Pete and she fired right up.

Very Happy Very Happy

Spike0180 wrote:
I'll be at the vintage Volkswagen festival in ypsilanti this year on may 19th. I hope to see some of you out there.

I'm hoping to make it this year..
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

To do:
Put bumper back on
Wash
Clean out my tools from inside the van
Drive
Take a picture or two

Completed this weekend:
Put bumper back on
"wash" (this was a very lazy wash that was basically a wipe off of the lower half)
I drove and put new fuel in.
And I picked up the back of the bus some.

In all: a lot of half assed jobs.

I did find that the idle didn't really improve, so I adjusted it and it still isnt quite right. So I sprayed the base of the intake where it meets the heads with some break cleaner and it sounded like a hit that thing with a shot of Nitro! lol So I might (aka 100% sure I do) have an intake leak. I'll get that fixed hopefully tonight, if not by Thursday. I still need to sign up for the ypsi car show. My van isn't really a car show kinda van, but whatever.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Every car is a show car if you’re proud of it! Especially since you’ve done so much work yourself!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Every car is a show car if you’re proud of it! Especially since you’ve done so much work yourself!!

Aw shucks.

In other news! ... I have an intake leak. I believe it is coming from the metal gasket between the intake and the head. I tried about 4-5 times last night to get it to seal up without luck. So I called up Wheelie Pete and asked him for a gasket. I'm picking it up tonight after work. And after all my practice last night, I should have it in and ready for testing in about 5 minutes lol

If the gasket doesn't fix it, does anyone have any suggestions on what else would be causing this vacuum leak? My engine revs when I spray brake cleaner between the intake and cylinder tin, or if I spray behind the carb from the top. Not as much from the outside of the carb or the front.

advCo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:

Cool, we're moving to Chicago this fall, hopefully the bus will be ready to make the trip next year Cool
A bunch of vintage Japanese motorcycles
"Much ingenuity with a little money is vastly more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity." -A. Bennett
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: My soon to be new 1970 vw transporter (restoration) Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
And after all my practice last night, I should have it in and ready for testing in about 5 minutes lol

If the gasket doesn't fix it, does anyone have any suggestions on what else would be causing this vacuum leak? My engine revs when I spray brake cleaner between the intake and cylinder tin, or if I spray behind the carb from the top. Not as much from the outside of the carb or the front.

Ahh, the hidden wonders of dual carbs. Smile

New metal gaskets each time are usually necessary for manifold removal. The ridge around the perimeter crushes on first installation. I hate trying to get paper gaskets off the heads, usually they leave sticky bits behind. The metal gaskets DO require clean and flat surfaces. You can check the manifold base on a truly flat surface for light leaks, but the head is trickier to test. I've seen some aftermarket manifolds perfectly flat and some that required lapping with 200-400-600 grit plates.

Good luck!
Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: