Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High Oil Pressure
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Hi all,

Vehicle is a 79 bay bus with 2.0L and dual weber 40IDF carbs. I'm driving it to South America. The other day I was trying to go up the side of a mountain that I shouldn't have been. Well... that I couldn't.

I pushed it a bit. I.e. I was stuck on a 4x4 one-lane (maybe 20 degree incline) and a time or two I stalled out. I had to feather the clutch to get enough RPMs to get out of where I was. I did this a few times and started smelling something that I could best say smelled like a dead animal. I stopped and opened up the engine lid and there was smoke coming up from the front of the engine. I didn't see any oil burning. I was thinking maybe I was burning the clutch? I have oil temp, CHT and pressure sensors and nothing got crazy. At this time I was able to park the car and since I still wanted to go up I walked. The next day I was leaving and checked the oil and it was good.

Before this oil pressure at idle was right around 10psi when warm and now the oil pressure is around 20psi at warm idle. Any thoughts on what I may have done here. I think there is still a smell of a dead rodent. It's a bit challenging to say for sure. I'll get a better sense today, but I don't have Internet so I'm at a cafe and just typing what I know for sure.

Other than the idle PSI and maybe the smell (I thought I smelled it this morning but I didn't double check when I stopped because I was tired and hungry) it's running just fine and all the sensors above are fine.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

K

P.S. If anyone is interested in following the trip I'm on IG @outintonowhere

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

A 20° incline.....did you lose oil pressure? For sure it sounds like some clutch burn. That is tbe dead rodent smell.
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
A 20° incline.....did you lose oil pressure? For sure it sounds like some clutch burn. That is tbe dead rodent smell.
Ray

Ok. That's kind of what I was thinking with the smell. I suppose maybe it was still residual the next day because the clutch was in fact burnt.

Did not lose oil pressure. Neither the idiot light nor my warning light for my sensor came on. It was mostly just the smell that got me to stop... and that the "road" kept getting steeper and rougher. Or maybe it was the local driving by in the Jeep that couldn't recommend I attempt it in a kombi.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

don't do that sh_t. Late bus flywheels are cast, not forged, they glaze easy and you WILL destroy that clutch and pressure plate. It was not meant to be slipped like that. It can be a long walk or tow home if you rip the facing off the clutch disc. Most offroad vehicles have a transfer case and a compound low to avoid what you did in your bus. Make sure you still have the correct freeplay after that stunt.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
don't do that sh_t. Late bus flywheels are cast, not forged, they glaze easy and you WILL destroy that clutch and pressure plate. It was not meant to be slipped like that. It can be a long walk or tow home if you rip the facing off the clutch disc. Most offroad vehicles have a transfer case and a compound low to avoid what you did in your bus. Make sure you still have the correct freeplay after that stunt.

Yes. I won't do this anymore. To check the freeplay you'd have to drop the engine yes?
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

No, it’s how far down you push the clutch pedal before you feel resistance. You want about 3/4 inch of free play.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

On a steep incline with a side tilt you may have had some oil sucked down the valve guides. If this happens your engine will smoke like crazy out the exhaust. Oil could possible get by the rings in mass as well when the engine is at an extreme angle.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Yes. I won't do this anymore. To check the freeplay you'd have to drop the engine yes?

What Gary said. Here is a video on how to check it.

Link

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

"Dead animal", yeah, I've never heard that description of the smell, but it's plausible for an untrained nose to link burning clutch or brake to that (depending on the animal you smelled). Surprised

Check that free play as already mentioned, but I'd be really laying awake at night if I didn't drop the engine and put in a fresh disc at the very least before heading off on a trip like you propose.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Thanks all for the replies! Just got back to Internet.

Oil pressure was a false alarm on my part and is actually working fine. Everything is shifting fine and no slipping or anything and went from 0 - 8k feet and back down so seems to be ok. Everything there was brand new and put in a few thousand miles ago.

Still have some residual smell though. I'm taking a little road break so I'll have to try and be more diligent about figuring out what it is. Can't figure out what it is. Thanks for the free play video. I'll check when I get back to the bus.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

The smell is probably a burned clutch. I think it will fix itself
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The smell is probably a burned clutch. I think it will fix itself

Word. It does seem that way. Always hard to tell on these subjective things but it does seem "less". It's still a bit nauseating if I open up the heater vents but not like it was.

I won't try and jam it straight up any more crazy mountainsides.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Maybe you got your heater ducts hot enough to burn some of the mouse turds buried in there, if not fry a dead mouse. Real mouse smells don't clear up all the readily.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: High Oil Pressure Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Maybe you got your heater ducts hot enough to burn some of the mouse turds buried in there, if not fry a dead mouse. Real mouse smells don't clear up all the readily.

Hahaha. I hope not! It would have to be a new mouse as I redid those too before I left.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: