Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 fans and belt
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

Anyone know how much hp they bleed vs how much the stock t1 fan and belt bleed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quantify it but the belt is very lightly loaded on the Type 3 design, since it is only running the generator, not the fan.
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured the swing of the T3 fan also draws vs the T1 though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 3 fan probably takes a little more hp because it flows far more air.
Yabbadubbadoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 3 fan rpm ratio is 1:1 with engine speed but the Type 1 spins the fan faster than engine rpm. That's gotta mean something in favor of the Type 3 don't you think?.
An engine builder reminded me of that when I was discussing welding the blades of the Type 3 fan. He said he's never done it to a type 3 because they don't spin as fast as a type 1 fan. I don't know how much merit there is to that observation but I'm sure he would have told me to weld it up if he'd spun the blades off a type 3 fan down the drag strip which he regularly build motors for.
mackaymanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to remember that the Type 3 fan has a lot larger diameter, so the peripheral speed may in fact be as high as those attained on a Type 1 fan.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

don't forget the type 3 is driving two fans, not just one. outer fan draws air in (and runs the generator), inner fan pushes it out for engine cooling.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

daos wrote:
don't forget the type 3 is driving two fans, not just one. outer fan draws air in (and runs the generator), inner fan pushes it out for engine cooling.

lots of threads on this, technically it doesn't act as a fan, to not interupt flow and the draw from the main fain you can think of the outer fans blades as mainly directional vanes... it does not aid in flow other than minimizing obstruction. dont have a lot of time this morning otherwise i would grab some of those threads

I hope I didnt come across as snotty... that was not my intent.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

6 year old thread! Laughing
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

VWporscheGT3 wrote:
daos wrote:

lots of threads on this, technically it doesn't act as a fan, to not interupt flow and the draw from the main fain you can think of the outer fans blades as mainly directional vanes... it does not aid in flow other than minimizing obstruction. dont have a lot of time this morning otherwise i would grab some of those threads

you didn't.

however - the primary fan is basically a propeller, the blades are angled in order to draw air in. so it is doing work, it's drawing in air and air has mass, the fan has to move that mass. that equals load and has a parasitic effect, there's no way it's doing no work, otherwise it wouldn't be there. there is no need for it to direct air immediately in front of the second fan, that makes no sense. the air is 'directed' by the path it has to take - and it only has one possible path.

the second fan has vanes which move the air outward, i'd say it is not doing the main work of pulling the air in. naturally, it also uses a certain amount of power.

thanks for the tip about the threads, i'll look them up. didn't realise there were any. although - of course there are, there are threads on pretty much everything here.

Last edited by daos on Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

not any more Cool
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

daos wrote:
VWporscheGT3 wrote:
daos wrote:

you didn't.

however - the primary fan is basically a propeller, the blades are angled in order to draw air in. so it is doing work, it's drawing in air and air has mass, the fan has to move that mass. that equals load and has a parasitic effect, there's no way it's doing no work, otherwise it wouldn't be there. there is no need for it to direct air immediately in front of the second fan, that makes no sense. the air is 'directed' by the path it has to take - and it only has one possible path.

the second fan has vanes (more like an impeller) which move the air outward, it is not doing the main work of pulling the air in. naturally, it also uses a certain amount of power.

thanks for the tip about the threads, i'll look them up. didn't realise there were any. although - of course there are, there are threads on pretty much everything here.

I see your logic , but, if the main fan is drawing more air volume than the little fan can produce it negates the work load of the pulley "Fan" and then will only act as a ..for lack of a better term , a director of flow. which is the way it was explained in one of those threads..I will have to see if i can find that at lunch today.

Very Happy
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

The pulley fan, does it assist in drawing air in for the stock carb/fuel inj set up. Just wondering as it only makes a little sense.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

the air to carbs/injection is bled from the air ducts just before the main bellows. i would say the carbs/fi take what they need from the air the fans are drawing in, the rest continues to the fans. so technically, yes, the fans assist the intake air since without the fans little to no air would come in through the body louvres. vw clearly considered this and designed the system to move enough air to cover both intake and cooling.

don't have any volumetric data for the engine airflow, might be able to dig it up in my bentley over the weekend.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Type 3 fans and belt Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

Strange corpse to dig up and debate, for sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: