Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color shift shaft would you like?
Raw aluminum
26%
 26%  [ 18 ]
Black
65%
 65%  [ 45 ]
Brown
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Other??? email me/post below
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 69

Retsgard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Gusbang wrote:
Any news on a 5sp shifter that will fit a petrol doka?

I'm trying to get the same.

Should be identical to LHD 5sp just the opposite hand?
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_goerzen wrote:
Can anyone who has made the change to this shifter give some feedback on how it compares to OEM?

I finally got mine fitted today, bloody awesome. Mine is a 5 speed (not syncro) and the thing is so easy to use. The short shift ability is fantastic and the gear knob is right where you need it and can be set up how you like it by rotating the stick before locking off. This is one of the best mods I have ever done. RS Fab will be run off their feet with orders once word get around. Also this is proof that it can be used on both RHD & LHD as we are RHD down here is Australia.
MaiTai
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Is this still available for purchase?
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

i called the dude that makes them last month to see if the bad press i read on here was valid and he was shipping and his answer was yes...

i just welded my broken shifter and didn't buy the cnc'd one..

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
Birdcage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

It's a great shifter hands down, much better than stock. I can't wait till the entire shift linkage front to back is available from RS-fab.
casey79westfalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Any eta on the complete shift rod front to back? I'm down for one.
76 Porsche 914
2014 Audi Q7
2010 Tdi Sportwagen

Currently looking for 62 Double Cab, 66 Westfalia Parts!
(Rear seat and pedestal, bumpers, mirrors)

http://www.baycountrymotors.com

My 87 Syncro Westfalia 1.8t Restoration

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=418933

"Do it the right way, or you'll pay for it"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

this might be the single best upgrade yet. My original shifter may have been worse than some but WOW! Changes the whole feel of the van.
Thank You RS FAB!
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
this might be the single best upgrade yet. My original shifter may have been worse than some but WOW! Changes the whole feel of the van.
Thank You RS FAB!

I second that. Mine arrived last week. It was a quick and easy install, maybe 30 minutes. Hit all 4 gears right away and very smooth. I already experienced a stick shifter breakage last summer while on a road trip through Utah. A repeated break is no longer a concern!
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Put My "BIg Shot" in last month. Installation is a breeze with the help of this video:

https://www.facebook.com/jeffrobenolt/videos/943309759081686/

I was afraid I would have to spend hours adjusting the shift rods but it went in easily and worked first time.
Hi-Top build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=534517
svswan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Read this thread and a few others, plus watched all the video's referenced. What I would like to know is *why* is the shifter better? I can see that it's beefier and has a better pivot. How does it make the shifts better? Does the square metal piece above the linkage attachment work better on the guides in the shift box? What makes it appear to 'snick' into gear compared to the stock shifter?

I have lubed up all the bushings in my linkage and bought the new guides but have not installed them yet. 1st and 2nd are a little finicky until that van is good and warm. I put Stalube 85/90 GL4 in the trans a few months back.

Before I take it apart to put in the shift guides I would love to understand what makes the Big Shot shift better so I can feel better about upgrading before I bother with the repair ;-}
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7682086#7682086
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

I replaced my shifter (also the shifter ears and plate ' - thanks T3) because the shifter ball joint was broken so it seemed like a good time to upgrade.

Shifting is definitely better, less travel to get in gear, tighter, and the shifter itself is stiffer. Not so much stiring the pot to get in gear now.

Having said that it will not instantly correct all your shifting woes. I would not realy say that it "snicks" into gear. You still need a well adjusted and lubed system in good repair. I find that lubing the rear ball makes a huge difference, unfortunately it only stays lubed for a few days.

I like the new feel and the big black ball. I thought it was a worthwhile upgrade.
Hi-Top build thread:
svswan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

shepherdsond wrote:
Shifting is definitely better, less travel to get in gear, tighter, and the shifter itself is stiffer. Not so much stiring the pot to get in gear now.

Thanks Shepherdsond - did you have a short shift kit before? Sounds like you did not but just want to be sure. I appreciate the description of the way it feels.

I also would love to understand why it is better. I assume it acts just like the stock unit, only way better? Anyone? Sent Ray and email, will see how busy he is now ;-}
jamin307
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

I installed mine a few weeks ago. Being fully CNC machined - you no longer have to worry about the plastic components included in the stock shifter design. I have heard of other samba members (myself included) suffering from a snapped shifter. It's going to take some doing to break this one.
svswan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Great - I do like big metal ;-}

I'm mostly figured out that the Big Shot works just like the stock one, just stiffer and no fear of breaking or wearing plastic. My next question;

Is the Big Shot the same height and bend as the stock shifter?

I have not heard back from Ray yet. I'm hoping for the same bend as stock but 2-3" longer. If I remember correctly this thread was started to get feedback on angle and length but the website doesn't indicate what he chose. It does indicate that I missed the $249 price by not making up my mind earlier though...
artacoma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

I don't know about the height but the bend is similar and this shifter can be clocked , i.e. you can turn it and lock it down in any position.
2.5 Subie
86 Doka
2.5 Subie
shepherdsond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

To answer your earlier question svswan no I did not have a short shift kit before doing this. I imagine this achieves a similar outcome but more effectively.

As artacoma says you can adjust the position of the stick - this is the only tricky part of the installation. I believe the height of the balll is higher than stock also - like having an extension of 3" or so. It feels very good, more positive than the original and closer to hand. It does not look like stock though if that's important.
Hi-Top build thread:
svswan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

shepherdsond wrote:
- like having an extension of 3" or so.

I don't mind that it doesn't look like stock, just want that added height. Thanks for the input ;-}
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Finally installed the Bigshot shifter

Absolutely incredible difference to the stock shifter!
Easy installation and night and day difference. My stock shifter worked fine and nothing was broken but compared to the Bigshot is night and day.

The bigshot's reduced throw and weighted shift is so much smoother. The new grease I added to the shift fork was nice too Laughing

Absolutely incredible upgrade and one of the best upgrades I've made!

Thanks RSFab!
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Are they still making these kits? Looks like the RS Fab folks haven't been on the site in over 6 months. I've emailed them. Hope so!
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Are they still making these kits? Looks like the RS Fab folks haven't been on the site in over 6 months. I've emailed them. Hope so!

A quick peek at their website seems to show they are available:
http://rsfabparts.com/product/big-shot-vanagon-shifter/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: