Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What color shift shaft would you like?
Raw aluminum
26%
 26%  [ 18 ]
Black
65%
 65%  [ 45 ]
Brown
8%
 8%  [ 6 ]
Other??? email me/post below
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 69

designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

RS Fab doesn't have any in stock and doesn't know when they will. Which is pretty weird. However, RMW / VanCafe has some black one's in stock. Mine got lost in the UPS about 2.5 weeks ago and i'm forced to wait in limbo as they apparently try to find it. The VanCafe/RMW folks are being helpful, however, it's very frustrating when you can't drive your bus.

-cc-

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

When I looked at their site it said out of stock. Looks different on my phone, don't see that banner. Hopefully you are right!
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Glad to see that RS Fab (makers of the Big Shot) have paired up with RMW/Van Cafe... the Big Shot product is excellent (I have one) but it was clear from numerous posts here that they were floundering on the in stock/shipping side of things. Story after story of paying, then nothing for literally months. If RMW/Van Cafe are now handling the "business" side of things (warehouse stock, fulfillment etc) for RS Fab then this is just what was needed to save this product. Again, the product itself is great and I love mine... I just couldn't recommend them to others without a bunch of disclaimers. Van Cafe/RMW are businesses I use a lot and trust, so this seems like a great move for both.

Historical context: Tons of details in this 8 page (!!!) thread detailing issues with orders not being shipped from RS Fab here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=645384
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

I'm the owner of 2 RSFab shifters and have nothing but praise to offer.

This is the best mod on my vans and I have endless cool mods Laughing

If you want to make your Van even more fun to drive this is the upgrade you need
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Well mine showed up the other day and it looks super duper beefy and strong and I'm excited to install it. However, it's 12 degrees and snowy so it'll have to wait. My wife is fired up for it as well BC she's rather shift-challenged and pretty much refuses to drive.

RMW / VC is a great combo and they shipped out a new one for me after UPS declared the box gone. I also picked up the two under seat storage boxes.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Ditto above. Found one at RMW, just got delivered today! Temps are brutal so will have to wait to install. Also hoping this helps the wife with learning to drive a stick!
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

I have their shifter for the automatic and love it
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

That looks great! I hope mine will still fit with my center console.

Any tips for adjustments/measurements under the floor in the shifter box? The online vids aren't very specific, although they say you have to get the measurements correct.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Would any of the 2019 posters be willing to update their purchase experience? How has the shifter worked out?
I just ordered one from Van Café and would be appreciative of any feedback.

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

The one in the Westy has been fantastic. It's so tight and accurate that I'm teaching my daughter to drive a stick with it! Still working to get the one in the doka dialed in, but I think it was the shifter ball mechanism rather than the big shot. Very happy with purchase and function.
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
The one in the Westy has been fantastic. It's so tight and accurate that I'm teaching my daughter to drive a stick with it! Still working to get the one in the doka dialed in, but I think it was the shifter ball mechanism rather than the big shot. Very happy with purchase and function.

@tarandusVDub thank you for the feedback. I’m rebuilding my 87 high top this fall and waiting to hear from the vendor regarding my order.
I figured other than the steering wheel, the shifter and assembly is the next thing a driver spends the most time using and it deserves an up grade as much as any other part of the van.

Owen

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: New CNC'd Vanagon Shifter Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun project! I definitely feel it is a worthwhile improvement and its really easy to install. I know some folks like to keep it stock and there are rebuild kits for that. I like the shorter throw, the solid shaft, and tighter overall feel. It's really fun to drive with it. Good luck on your project!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: