Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rubber mats
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
There was a Phoenix Rubber Company in Memphis. Looks like they're gone, but there are a few other rubber manufacturing places there.

There are no shortage of companies world-wide who would be more than capable of making these mats...it's a matter of finding a company who would see enough profit in supplying the KG world. Confused
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

True. I was thinking that somewhere is the mold that was used to make the mats originally. I wonder what happened to it/them.

I guess on some future episode of American Pickers they'll be visiting someone's dusty old barn, "Yep, these were the original presses for Karman Ghia floor mats, I pulled 'em before they tossed em in the smelter."
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

I don't quite get what is so elusive about the rubber mats. Couldn't you just cut out some ribbed rubber matting to match the required size/shape and then punch the holes in it? It wouldn't have the un-ribbed edging like the originals but otherwise it would be fairly close to original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

^^^^ Shocked Go stand on "the naughty step" for the next hour. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

I cant stand on the step because it has no mat, I bought one off this guy on the internet three years ago but he hasn't delivered it yet, but I can't bring myself to use a different mat than the one the step came with 50 years ago.
sancho58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

With the sophistication with the CNC machines these days that can work in the 3D mode I bet you can seek a machinist that can probably duplicate these mats . I know of such a person that is a VW fan that might be interested in this business offer if the money is right. I'll go pay him a visit next week with my lowlight mats and see if it's possible he can do this with just Raw pieces of rubber and copying them off the pattern of my lowlight mats.
calexican
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

Don't forget to show him the bulkhead mat!
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

When the large format 3D printer and appropriate rubber media are invented, this will no longer be an issue.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

sancho58 wrote:
With the sophistication with the CNC machines these days that can work in the 3D mode I bet you can seek a machinist that can probably duplicate these mats . I know of such a person that is a VW fan that might be interested in this business offer if the money is right. I'll go pay him a visit next week with my lowlight mats and see if it's possible he can do this with just Raw pieces of rubber and copying them off the pattern of my lowlight mats.

That sounds promising.

Just a note of caution...we've had VW enthusiasts who thought they could cope with supply and demand before. If they are not professionally set up to cope with what could be high output (they could be the only ones in the world supplying these) they could be swamped with orders. That means, manufacture/order processing/customer relations/packing/postage...not what I consider a one-man job.

Not for the feint-hearted. Confused
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

High output/swamped with orders? Are there 'that' many people that need lowlight KG mats? Is there a difference between lowlight vs later year ghia mats or are they the same size? I could see a little more demand if they are interchangeable.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
High output/swamped with orders? Are there 'that' many people that need lowlight KG mats? Is there a difference between lowlight vs later year ghia mats or are they the same size? I could see a little more demand if they are interchangeable.

I'm not an expert on mats but I don't believe there was a difference in the floor mats from early to much later. If you think of the major KG markets US, Europe, Brazil...there is the potential running into the thousands of sets.

The bulkhead mat is something totally different...a much more complex project.
Aussie59Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

Early mats 55, 56 and 57 for Ghia's were made by a Company called Fisco. They were only available in black. They differed in that the outer edging that we are all familiar with that dimpled effect was just plain.

58 and 59's (lowlights) with the rubber bulkhead were made by Pheonix and available in grey, beige and green I believe. These had the dimpled edging.
59 and up (new style Ghia) were made in black and possibly beige/light brown by Pheonix and had the dimpled edging however the passenger mat was longer to coincide with the introduction of the carpet bulkhead.
So to be correct there would be three styles that someone would have to invest in.....
More pics of the early Fisco Mats

Karmann Gheezer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

I'd be Very Happy with a set of these.
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
^^^^ Shocked Go stand on "the naughty step" for the next hour. Laughing

LOL

I guess I understand the obsession. BUT... It is just a sheet of rubber. You will never get original (just a replica of) nor will the function be any better than a 10$ utility door mat.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

I just cut my own from a $10 front door porch mat.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I just cut my own from a $10 front door porch mat.

I can't understand the fuss about this either. I cut my own rubber mats from the bootmat from an old BMW 3 series I got for free from a friend. In the BMW boot the carpet is on top, with rubber underneath. I turned them over and have "custom" rubber mats. When I go to a show, I place the carpet mats on top - I have a spare set.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

If I thought they will, like Lemke's floor mats cost a couple hundred $ a set few would bother. What we're doing is investigating the feasibility of having a set of mats made using a more efficient, cost effective method.

Yes it would be nice if they match the pattern of the original mats...other marques do it and do it cheaply as we've already seen in this topic... https://www.bpnorthwest.com/floor-mat-set-rubber-m..._7cGAC6815

These are for MGBs, a set of 2 heavy duty front mats made to OG spec for $38 a pair.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
These are for MGBs, a set of 2 heavy duty front mats made to OG spec for $38 a pair.

OG for an MGB?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
If I thought they will, like Lemke's floor mats cost a couple hundred $ a set few would bother. What we're doing is investigating the feasibility of having a set of mats made using a more efficient, cost effective method.

Yes it would be nice if they match the pattern of the original mats...other marques do it and do it cheaply as we've already seen in this topic... https://www.bpnorthwest.com/floor-mat-set-rubber-m..._7cGAC6815

Has anyone tried a South African manufacturer? They have the expertise and the machinery, and their currency has depreciated so fast and far the last 3 years (half of 2012 levels) that the mats would be cheap. I little known fact is that motor and component manufacturing in SA accounts for 14.6% of the country's total exports and 7.5% of GDP. New cars were exported to 100 countries last year - Mercedes, BMW, VW, Toyota, GM and Ford, so the quality is there.

Also, they have perfected oil from coal technology - and from oil to plastics and similar products - and have excess manufacturing capacity.
SoCalJes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rubber mats Reply with quote

Why don't you guys just go on one of the Chinese manufacturing sites

http://www.made-in-china.com/
http://www.alibaba.com/

and you'll find 100 different companies that will make production runs. Quality depends on what you pay for though.
Just because it didn't come that way, doesn't mean it shouldn't have.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: