Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Peformance Shift Rod Coupler
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

With China taking over our aftermarket parts, we get the reward for being cheap. Along side the road because our brand new part failed.

I replaced my stock stripped coupler with a Red Urethane Coupler. (had to get something asap to keep dd going). Lasted one week till it cracked in half. The quality of the Urethane as with any other material that is made in China suspect to braking, tearing, leaving us stranded.

Thankfully Joe Bence is making a nice Billet one for only $30!
http://www.jbevwstore.com/billet-shift-coupler-early.html

Just got mine yesterday, Thank you Joe for shipping it so quick! Now I can get my daily driver rolling again. Check out the picture below, for only $30 cant believe getting such a nice part made here in the States.

Jeff

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always though there was a "flex" in couplers for a reason.... Guess I was wrong in just using OEM donut couplers....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
I always though there was a "flex" in couplers for a reason.... Guess I was wrong in just using OEM donut couplers....

Dale

Since we are in the Performance engine and transmissions section, some of us need parts other then stock. Not saying everyone is wrong for keeping there stock one, just offering a example of quality choice for those who want more. Some people keep the stock rubber trans mounts and leave it at that. But if you got some power you need more.

This coupler is best used when you already have solid trans mounts, and also have the mid strap to avoid any nose cone lift. Those of us running some horsepower already have that stuff.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run (in my street buggy) about 110 hp in a 1380 pound buggy and about 120hp (chassis dynoed) in a 1365 lb auto cross built buggy and stock mounts and couplers always worked for me...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started making them because the quality of the stock ones available today is very poor. I'm sure the couplers of the past were good/better. I have had 3 of the stock ones break in one way or another in my car. So this was my permanent fix. And the aftermarket ones are worst than the stockers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will fit on a 74 ?
2014 Honda odyssey
2180cc 48IDA clone
Xr310 cam =171hp@6k rpm sold so as the car😢
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your late model

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1252462
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
With China taking over our aftermarket parts, we get the reward for being cheap. Along side the road because our brand new part failed.

I replaced my stock stripped coupler with a Red Urethane Coupler. (had to get something asap to keep dd going). Lasted one week till it cracked in half. The quality of the Urethane as with any other material that is made in China suspect to braking, tearing, leaving us stranded.

Thankfully Joe Bence is making a nice Billet one for only $30!
http://www.jbevwstore.com/billet-shift-coupler-early.html

Just got mine yesterday, Thank you Joe for shipping it so quick! Now I can get my daily driver rolling again. Check out the picture below, for only $30 cant believe getting such a nice part made here in the States.

Jeff

Actually its common and normal for the red urethane coupler to crack. It started at as an 80 durometer formula. ....pretty damn hard.
It will increase in hardness and reduce in flexibility by about 3%-5% per year ....without heat. With heat it can increase in hardness exponentially......like 30% per year. And.....it shrinks a certain amount.

All urethanes do this to some degree depending on formula.

Its not necessary bad materials........its bad design specifying the totally wrong material.

The only reason urethane was used for this part and many others that are similar.....is because any idiot can cast urethane In "0" cost molds made of anything from wood to plaster to sand to plastic to metal.

In reality this part should have had a metal core and been cast with a "real" high, durometer heat set rubber compound like Viton, Buna N, EPR or EPDM. But that would require a real mold and real injection molding or pressure molding equipment in the least.....and skill......and cost. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Bence wrote:
For your late model

I have not seen that one yet, that is beautiful!

scotth17
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these for my buggy with an 091 mounted solid and it is an exceptionally nice piece! My shift rod is above the tunnel with the 091 so the coupler is visable and this one looks like jewelry. Works great.
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

Raising an old thread here. Does anyone have more feedback on these billet rear shift couplers for early bugs? My stock one suffered stripped out threads today, so I'm just wondering if this $30 billet one is much better than the normal stock round ones.

I'm definitely not considering the red urethane ones.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

I'm still using the Joe Bence Billet one. I also did the bronze shift rod bushing. Shifts awesome.

Its discouraging to get a brand new stock shift coupler and it strips out super easy, and yes, the red urethane ones crack very easily. Thankfully Joe Bence has a cool option.

If anyone hasn't checked out his site, take a look at some other cool stuff he has. I also got the Roller Throttle cable tube for the fan shroud, and the billet fan shroud spacers that take up the gap on wider stroker situations.
http://www.jbevw.com/products

Also discouraging is the quality of the plastic shift rod bushings, so the below bronze one is a nice upgrade:

http://www.ev4unow.com/VWShiftRodBushing.html

Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. Did you notice any increase in Noise/vibration etc from the billet coupler? I guess the stock one has rubber in middle. I'm wondering how much the billet coupler transfers transmission noises to the shifter. My bug is already loud, so it probably won't make much difference.
Scott65Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

I had high hopes for that coupler.I tried it and it would not work for me.i was unable to shift through all the gears after many attempts of adjusting the shifter.Finally went back to a stock coupler and shifted easily.My only conclusion was that the coupler just didnt provide any flex.i was very bummed because this part looks like a great item.Just didnt work for me. The stock style from WW has been working fine with 2054cc behind it going on 3 years just fine. And BTW Ive always thought that the plastic bushing in the shift rod hanger was a pos from the start. I stay after it yearly with lube and no problems,its just a crappy design.Maybe the originals were better with better material but it does seem like a silicon bronze bushing from the start would have been the way to go. Every resto I do I replace the hanger first thing and put in a new plastic bushing and keep them lubed yearly with no failures but i realize its a poor design.
laker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Bence wrote:
For your late model

Very nice!!
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

The shift coupler is rubberized for a reason... To keep the rubber manufactures from going out of business... -Or maybe because it is a needed component to the design.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

laker wrote:
Joe Bence wrote:
For your late model

Very nice!!

Current ad: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2203162

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

The rubberized shift coupler is to eliminate vibrations and deaden the sound. The solid billet shift coupler will make it louder inside the car. There is no reason to need a billet shift coupler other then to spend money on something that is not needed.

If you are having problems shifting you may need to grease the shifter and the shift rod bushing below the shifter.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Peformance Shift Rod Coupler Reply with quote

Scott65Beetle wrote:
I had high hopes for that coupler.I tried it and it would not work for me.i was unable to shift through all the gears after many attempts of adjusting the shifter.Finally went back to a stock coupler and shifted easily.My only conclusion was that the coupler just didnt provide any flex.i was very bummed because this part looks like a great item.Just didnt work for me. The stock style from WW has been working fine with 2054cc behind it going on 3 years just fine. And BTW Ive always thought that the plastic bushing in the shift rod hanger was a pos from the start. I stay after it yearly with lube and no problems,its just a crappy design.Maybe the originals were better with better material but it does seem like a silicon bronze bushing from the start would have been the way to go. Every resto I do I replace the hanger first thing and put in a new plastic bushing and keep them lubed yearly with no failures but i realize its a poor design.

Regarding the Billet coupler not working, and the stock one working, I had the same issue at first. Since there is no "give" in the billet coupler, everything has to be aligned correct from the start. If your stock coupler works, and the billet doesn't, your driving your car with the shift rod location slightly off, but the rubber is giving it enough "give" to work.

In my situation, I couldn't get all the gears to engage and found out the dimple in the rod was off slightly. It took some time to find out where it "should be". But after putting the shift rod coupler set screw dimple on the correct spot on the rod it shifted perfect. Over the last 50 years, previous owners sometimes goober things up.

My other 60 also wouldn't work with the billet. Found out the shift rod was bent. Replaced the shift rod, then it shifted perfect with the billet.

Amazing what kind of sins can be covered up with the stock rubber couplers.

Driving with no slop in the shifter is night/day, will never go back to the rubber sloppy stock one and the cheezy plastic garbage that's available now for the shift rod bushing.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: