Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedwell sprint kit, want to build motor around it.
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Speedwell sprint kit, want to build motor around it. Reply with quote

I have a speedwell sprint kit and wanted to design a motor around it for a '66 bus.

The bus currently has a .437 r&p with 1.26 reduction boxes. We are often hauling weight in it, 1000 pounds or more and driving 1000 or so miles carrying this weight.

Any suggestions?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It needs to be singleport because of the intake adapters, but looking for suggestions on bore, stroke, valve size, compression ratio, cam, exhaust, etc. I don't really have a budget or anything.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall seeing ads for those kits way back when. Never have seen one in the wild.

Looks like an interesting project. I bet you could find some dual port manifolds for that kit. I'd keep the valve and port size down and up the compression to around 8.5:1 - with the right cam you could have a decent torque motor. Maybe an 1835 with thick wall 92mm piston/cylinder kit. With 38mm carbs it should be good for 80/90hp. Maybe a bit more depending on engine size.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get another vehicle to do that long distance, heavy hauling, and build a nice bus with that unusual kit installed on it. That has to be rare.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard 111 wrote:
I would get another vehicle to do that long distance, heavy hauling, and build a nice bus with that unusual kit installed on it. That has to be rare.

Most of the travel is to VW events delivering parts. I know this may seem weird to some, but I don't really want to show up to a VW show driving a f#%d. We usually put about 12k miles a year on this bus. I work from home so our local mileage is pretty low.

The speedwell kit is uncommon but they are out there. If the motor grenades I will still have the carb kit so no real loss on something some might consider rare.

I don't want to consider dual port heads, gotta keep those cool speedwell 90 degree manifolds.
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

74mm crank
92mm thick walls
Brothers rebuilt and ported single port heads, stock valves
FK41 cam, 1.25 rockers on the intakes, stock rockers on the exhaust
New 5.4 clearanced rods
Stock flywheel
1 3/8" header
8.5:1, .045 deck

Brian
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or same as above, with CB2280 cam, a bit milder.
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very neat!
Are the intake adapters for single port 13/15/1600 or 40hp? Most (actually all) I've seen are for 40hp.

I would treat it similarly to dual Kadrons, actually even a little more conservative than that. 1800cc-ish max, Engle 100ish cam at the most, 1.1 rockers, vintage header (EMPI or Treuhaft with the cast flanges and heater pipes on 2&4 would be ideal!). A 88x74 would be a old school displacement, rock solid reliable, easy to build, and a very strong runner in a bus.

I have heard those carbs can be a real challenge to tune. I would install them on a running engine first and see what needs to be ironed out before I built an engine around them. I'd love to see it happen though!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
Very neat!
Are the intake adapters for single port 13/15/1600 or 40hp? Most (actually all) I've seen are for 40hp.

I would treat it similarly to dual Kadrons, actually even a little more conservative than that. 1800cc-ish max, Engle 100ish cam at the most, 1.1 rockers, vintage header (EMPI or Treuhaft with the cast flanges and heater pipes on 2&4 would be ideal!). A 88x74 would be a old school displacement, rock solid reliable, easy to build, and a very strong runner in a bus.

I have two sprint kits, and both have adapters for 1500's. One set is nos, and the instructions with that set has the measurements for all of the different adapters. I had assumed 1500 was the most common?

I have no experience with strombergs, but I suspect I can fumble through it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips!

Wow, 74 x 92? That's a lot bigger than I thought I could get away with stock sp heads.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 x 88 if you can't port the heads too much, or want to run stock heater boxes.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brothers machine and Steve Timms can do some nice looking single port heads. They might help to take advantage of those carbs. I've always loved the look of that Speedwell kit, I'd love to see some pics of it going together!
JonnySox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Speedwell Reply with quote

Just picked up a couple sets of these. Have you done anything with yours yet? Would love to stay in touch on this subject.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Speedwell Reply with quote

JonnyBSox wrote:
Just picked up a couple sets of these. Have you done anything with yours yet? Would love to stay in touch on this subject.

No progress yet, just accumulating parts for it. Congrats on the score.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: