Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
breed21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:42 am    Post subject: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

Hey ya'll,

I'm looking into getting a Brazilian made Kombi from kombibrazil.com (Sao Paulo). I live in Dallas. I had a few question before purchasing that I thought someone out there could help me with and have better knowledge of:

1). Aside form years made, are they any differences (Brazil vs USA)?

2). Can U.S. parts work in Brazilian Kombis?

3). I'm specifically looking for a 65'-70' split window. Anything I should look out for, or be aware of before purchasing?

Thanks so much for the help!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

Be sure to read up on the feedback of that seller. I’d also recommend digging through these forums to see the experiences of other buyers of Brazilian Busses. I won’t tell you not to, but there seem to be a lot more stories of disappointed buyers vs. happy buyers.
I don’t know anything about kombibrazil, but there seem to be several ‘brokers’ who are middle-manning VW’s they don’t actually own, even though they have ads posted online.

If you find a deal that’s right for you, and have confidence in it, then go for it. Brazilian Busses definitely don’t get the same love around here as “real” German ones, but ultimately do what makes you happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

Don't do it man! If you want a split window bus spend the money. You get what you pay for. Brazilian buses didn't have the same standards, so it is a lower quality bus. A lot of the parts are the same, but when parked next to a German built one it will be viewed as lower quality even if you have shiny paint. They have so many funky configurations and didn't seem to stick to the same year guidelines, hence why you can get a 1970 split. Don't waste your money on a knockoff. Get the real deal! Shiny paint and windows looks good on the internet.

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

If you will look at the top left of the home page of this forum, you will see:

Announcement: Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*

After clicking on that, if you scroll down a bit through the topics you'll find a topic named:

Brazilian Bus discussion

Where you will find a 5 page discussion of what you are seeking. Personally, I wouldn't entertain buying a Brazilian Bus from out of country for importing to the U.S., rather IF I were to consider a Brazilian Bus it would already be in the States with current title and registration paperwork already in place AND I could visually inspect it. All bets are off as to "do they use the same parts as a German built bus" for cripes sake there was a Dude here last week or so trying to sort rear brakes that he had no clue were a Bug swing axle conversion from a previous owner. The newest of these old busses are already what, 55 years old?!

Good Luck!
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
If you will look at the top left of the home page of this forum, you will see:

Announcement: Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*

After clicking on that, if you scroll down a bit through the topics you'll find a topic named:

Brazilian Bus discussion

Where you will find a 5 page discussion of what you are seeking. Personally, I wouldn't entertain buying a Brazilian Bus from out of country for importing to the U.S., rather IF I were to consider a Brazilian Bus it would already be in the States with current title and registration paperwork already in place AND I could visually inspect it. All bets are off as to "do they use the same parts as a German built bus" for cripes sake there was a Dude here last week or so trying to sort rear brakes that he had no clue were a Bug swing axle conversion from a previous owner. The newest of these old busses are already what, 55 years old?!

Good Luck!

What he said, and GOOD advice.
Too many guys have been burned by these guys in Brazil.
If you join a club, they will whisper.
If you look at the many converted to 23 windows, you will see they have no idea what a Belly Pan is, To buy a Bus w/o seeing it is just INSANE.
Want a walk through, you won't get it. Yes you can buy Brazil parts specific-here, but you need to look hard. I know they buy many Brazilians in Europe, so...
Not worth the heartache "IF" you get burned. There are plenty of German buses on SAMBA, and with issues already solved. Hey, and keep the $$ here, we are running out. A 10K+ difference could save your marriage, and if you haven't noticed, the prices are dropping in the US.
Not to say the climate is not an issue would be foolish, The buses in Brazil have been exposed to a lot of moisture, Yes we have moisture here, but the Amazon? Hard to find a "DRY BUS". Also the purpose was encouraged because of the TAXI. Buying an Ex Taxi is kinda like buying a used up police car in the states- I'm sure there are some good deals, but if it ain't already here to view, No Way.

Last edited by NUTSFORBUSES on Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

breed21 wrote:

T1 buses weren't made in the US.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
breed21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

Hey ya'll, thanks so much for the replies...super helpful. I'm going to check out that group/post on Brazilian Buses.

Here's another website that seems to be selling/shipping Brazilian buses. It's called CombiKombi.com

This is some verbiage they have on the FAQ. I was wondering how true this is:

---------------------------------
"Unfortunately, the Brazilian VW Buses suffer from a bad reputation that is directly related to the image of bad foreign touristic experiences (frauds, scams amongst others) and numerous reports on criminality in Brazil.

The Brazilian Volkswagen plants were built with the same passion and quality requirements as their German counterparts. The vehicles coming out of their production lines are therefore built to the same quality norms as vehicles produced in Europe. Volkswagen is a brand that stands out for its high and constant quality standards regardless of where it has been produced."

-----------------------------------

Thanks again!
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

If the build quality of Brazilian buses was terrible, then they would not still be existing. In the last 47+ years, they have had plenty of opportunity to live a hard life, or to be well cared for. Most German produced buses have been on this planet longer, and have also had plenty of opportunities to live a hard life, or to be well cared for.

That said, buying a car from a different continent solely on pictures and the words of the seller is a very daring and risky thing to do.

If you have never owned a bus before, then you would be well advised to get the approval of the guy who will be doing work on your bus before buying it. That means getting a PRE-purchase inspection by your local trusted VW mechanic. No matter how nice of a bus you find, you will spend thousands of dollars with your mechanic.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
breed21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

I have a large group of friends from Brazil. I'm a musician and travel there from time to time. My good friend knows a guy who does restoration and can restore one for me from ground up, even open up the roof. I feel good about this guy and my friend being there on the ground to see it through. I'm basically going to be using it for my business (music/podcasting/merch sales)...rather than holding on to it for a collector's piece.

I had a question I was hoping ya'll could help me with:

I'd like to have the bench seats face each other with a possible small table in between. I'm going to be podcasting on college campuses, etc, from within the bus.

Is this legal to travel with the seats this way (that configuration) in the US?

Thanks ya'll, super appreciate everyones help! Love this website!
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

It sounds like you've already made up your mind then.

Yes, with seatbelts and the right mounting you can drive with a rear seat facing backward- but I'd check state laws. Vanagon Weekenders came equipped that way factory.

If your friend is a knowledgeable VW hobbyist and will visit the bus every day welding or bodywork happens to it you should be fine.

I would never ever buy a bus from anyone I do not know unless I could inspect every inch of it. I can afford any bus I want. I'd rather have an expensive honest bus over one that is half the price but welded, prepped and painted to the STANDARDs of work I see coming from Brazil.

What Lind said about your mechanic is key. A good mechanic cannot and will not let you drive away from their shop in a bus that was slapped together dangerously. And to correct what is often seen from So. America can bring your budget up swiftly.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

breed21 wrote:
I had a question I was hoping ya'll could help me with:

I'd like to have the bench seats face each other with a possible small table in between. I'm going to be podcasting on college campuses, etc, from within the bus.

Is this legal to travel with the seats this way (that configuration) in the US?

Thanks ya'll, super appreciate everyones help! Love this website!

Go try to find someone with a camper bus that you can sit in to get a feel for the amount of space you are looking at with the configuration that you are describing.

You don't have to worry about rearward facing seats. Side facing seats may not be legal to sit in when driving. Any legal issues have more to do with liability than getting a ticket.

Also, be aware that the buses that are the least expensive to buy are generally the most expensive to own. This holds true for most buses at market prices compared to similar year/model buses. Be prepared to spend six figures on your project car.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lind has several buses, he knows, and I've seen what Mods can cost-A LOT !
If you have made your decision, and you have, I would buy a later Bay window or a camper Vanagon. After you cut your fingers fixing that unforeseen problem, how will you play in a band? Unless your friend is a split bus owner, he really can't help "watch over" the project for you. Musicians travel, I would go with another vehicle, and it would be a bit nicer not to worry IF your bus will be parked where you left it after the "GiG", German or Brazilian-criminals don't know the diff. The days of going surfing in a split bus is gone about 2 decades ago, unless you have a base camp. My question is, how many have you driven?
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

They import those into a warehouse here in Houston. I'd ask if you could come to Houston and inspect it before you buy it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
They import those into a warehouse here in Houston. I'd ask if you could come to Houston and inspect it before you buy it.

A ton of those buses are from middlemen that have already "sold" that bus, meaning they lifted the pictures from the local Brazil version of craigslist, listed them here and other places, made the sale, then purchased the bus from the local and shipped it to Houston. Rarely will you find one already here and isn't sold.

There is a guy in Dallas with a good rep that imports Brazilian buses. Ask around.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

breed21 wrote:
Hey ya'll,

I'm looking into getting a Brazilian made Kombi from kombibrazil.com (Sao Paulo). I live in Dallas. I had a few question before purchasing that I thought someone out there could help me with and have better knowledge of:

2). Can U.S. parts work in Brazilian Kombis?

3). I'm specifically looking for a 65'-70' split window. Anything I should look out for, or be aware of before purchasing?

Thanks so much for the help!

Look at the FAQ and find the threads about buying a VW bus and read them.

Find out about local VW shows and go to check out real buses in person. Ask people there if they would show you their buses, and what they are like to drive.

There are parts form Brazil, as VWs buses were sold there more recently than in the USA.

There are differences between German and Brazil buses. Most Brazilian buses have had harder lives.
Split buses are OLD now.

Can you drive a stick?

Have you driven a VW bug? Owned one and driven it daily?
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
heimlich wrote:

A ton of those buses are from middlemen that have already "sold" that bus, meaning they lifted the pictures from the local Brazil version of craigslist, listed them here and other places, made the sale, then purchased the bus from the local and shipped it to Houston. Rarely will you find one already here and isn't sold.

There is a guy in Dallas with a good rep that imports Brazilian buses. Ask around.

Why do I get the notion that the OP of this thread claims to be from Dallas, and supposedly "there is a guy in Dallas with a good rep that imports Brazilian buses"; could they possibly be one in the same?

If not, I would suggest to the OP that is apparently eager to purchase a split window VW bus like something you could do on Carvana, perhaps he would be better off with one of the EV conversion buses.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

BonTonRoulet wrote:
Erik G wrote:
heimlich wrote:

Why do I get the notion that the OP of this thread claims to be from Dallas, and supposedly "there is a guy in Dallas with a good rep that imports Brazilian buses"; could they possibly be one in the same?

If not, I would suggest to the OP that is apparently eager to purchase a split window VW bus like something you could do on Carvana, perhaps he would be better off with one of the EV conversion buses.

not sure what you are getting at, I've been in the VW scene in CA since the 90's and in TX the last 12-13 years. I don't sell Brazilian buses but there is a friend of friends in Dallas that does. I've never seen him post on thesamba but he might...
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

breed21 wrote:
knows a guy who does restoration and can restore one for me from ground up, even open up the roof.

Oh man…. The chances of this whole scenario working out properly are so very thin. I respect that this is your dream and all. I wish you the best of luck.
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

Whatever the outcome please let us know how it turns out.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charles henson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Pre-purchase question: Brazilian Kombi vs US made VW Bus Reply with quote

this site is interesting on what they have over there forsale..

https://www.brazilianclassiccars.com/?fbclid=IwAR1...FoYVP8qxTM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: