Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long term ownership
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long have you been driving buses?
1 to 3 years
13%
 13%  [ 42 ]
4 to 6 years
13%
 13%  [ 41 ]
7 to 9 years
9%
 9%  [ 29 ]
10 years +
64%
 64%  [ 201 ]
Total Votes : 313

DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Long term ownership Reply with quote

ok cast your vote - i want to know what the breakdown is (pun) on long term bus ownership here on these boards.

feel free to leave a comment about how long you've had the bus you currently drive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my SO42 in '93. My first bus I bought in '90.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first VW at age 16 and I have not owned another make of car since then. My first was a Karmann Ghia but my second was a Bus and so on and on.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going on 16 years for me. I bought my first Bus, a 1966 Standard Microbus back in 1988 when I was 17 years old. Now it's 16 years later and I've owned at least one from every year from 1953-1967 with the exception of a 1954. Something between 25-30 total if I recall correctly.

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dezVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i learned stick in a 67 bus and never stopped thinking about them. when i finished college it was the first thing i did

i hope to have my bus forever
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklaken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

short history:

i've had my '77 homemade camper in '98 (started life as a chrome colored plastic peeling off trimmed racing striped pass. bus)...(rebuilt type 4 engine 3 times in 2 years...installed riveria striaght up poptop ($100 donor bus) and westy louvered windows...built the whole interior, installed '86 vanagon westy front seats with adjustable arms, found a $9 '79 westy and took the engine and fuel injection system and put it in mine...it is so comfy but a monstor to look at....it is coincidentally for sale to a good home cheap....(i'd like to get out of all my bay window crap what i just spent on the new splitty ...about $1500ish takes all....)

A week ago, i won a '67 westy so-42 on ebay (wasn't expecting to win!...you can imagine my wife's reaction Smile...luckily i had the chance to check it out...it was actually in pretty straight condition for anyone that saw those lousy pictures...i was also able to drive it home...it was a splitty with a black bondo'd nose...sold to me for $1552

so i voted for 1-3 years (but when i look back, it's actually been more like 5....time flies, egh....)

mark
rusty57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my first VW back in 1991. It was a 69 Ghia. I sold it in 97 after i bought a 97 Jetta. I missed my aircooled so much i bought another Ghia (66) soon after. I could never find a decent bus back in those days. I lived in Hawaii at the time. Too pricey or too rusted. I got rid of that Ghia when i moved to Oklahoma. The military would only pay for shipping two cars. I got to keep my Jetta and my wife's Honda. I then traded my Jetta for a 2002 turbo Jetta. that was a big mistake. I got the lemon. I was so mad i traded it for our current SUV in about a year. So, i got myself a cherry 61 Beetle. I always longed for a bus. they are hard to come around in Oklahoma too. I had no idea about this web site then. I finally found my 57 rust bucket in a local yard, and soon fell in love with buses. I ended up getting rid of my beetle and my 57 (kombi) and welcomed my current bus home. I will probably always own a VW, and there will always be room in my garage for a bus, or two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
short history:

A week ago, i won a '67 westy so-42 on ebay (wasn't expecting to win!...you can imagine my wife's reaction Smile...luckily i had the chance to check it out...it was actually in pretty straight condition for anyone that saw those lousy pictures...i was also able to drive it home...it was a splitty with a black bondo'd nose...sold to me for $1552

mark

Mark, my buddy Jim was bidding on that westy in Colorado ([email protected]). He didn't want to go too far though, he's also got a somewhat less than understanding wife Wink He also would have had to ship it to Massachusetts. Hope it works out well for ya'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nitty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a bus(s) in the 60's, 70's, 90's, 00's. Don't know what happened in the 80's.
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Ghia in the mid 80's. Lots of fun. I sold my 1992 Toyota 4 Runner and bought my '67 Splitty. I took delivery on the Splitty 1 year and 22 days ago! I hope to have her a good long time!!!
DaveM
Mad Samba Scientist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first came a bug in 84, sold 6 months later for my 75 scirroco. That bug was the only car I have ever sold!

<a long time passes for college and grad school>

93 eurovan in 94
My wife bought me my 59 double cab in the late 90's and it was all down hill from there. more followed with her blessing.

I only buy VWs... Cool

David
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically bought my first one in late '86...didn't drive them regularly until '99.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995

Last edited by NorCalWeekender on Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first vehicle was a bus. here it is 11 years later and with the exception of the year or so that i lived in an old bread truck i've had a bus ever since. can't claim a drive them daily anymore though, i haven't since 2002. don't even have one that runs at the moment.
http://www.oslp.org/

Last edited by ronnie on Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
lorse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first car was a '63 Baja bug in '81... it got me through college and then I had the squareback and then in '89 I bought my '65 camper. When the gas peddle rusted off I got my '65 roll back sun roof bug and my brother gifted me the '67 Westy that is almost road ready!
Yes... strictly VW Very Happy
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned to drive in an uncle's '67 deluxe(doomed from the start!) Shocked , quite possibly brought into Puerto Rico by him since he was in the army and his wife was also german blue eyed! Confused

Finally got my own in '87 in El Cajon, Ca. After 8 years, took it to Puerto Rico. Three years later it also came with me when I moved to Florida and 2 years after that it ended back in San Diego. I finally ran it literally into the ground in '01 when I got my present walkthrough. Going on three years from a bare shell to the Dormobile topped weekender it is, I'll prolly end up driving it into the ground also! Rolling Eyes

Late note: Did turned over the odometer twice on my previous bus! Shocked

Last edited by pyrOman on Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were my dad posting regularly, he'd point out that he's had his '67 21Window since '87 and has driven it regularly almost ever since! That's...about 17 years so far. Smile

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
fig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first VW in 1984, a 69 Beetle. I abused the hell out of it through sheer ignorance. The car taught me well, though.
Then one day I saw a splittie and really *looked* at it for the first time. It was the coolest car I'd ever seen and I had to have one.
A few months later, in 1989, I bought my first bus, a 57 DD panel rustbucket basket case, for equivalent of $10. I thought I would restore it. hahaha. I eventually sold it for equivalent of $75.
I bought my first running bus, a 1975 Fleetline panel, in 1990, and have been driving splitties ever since. That van was killed when it was T-boned by a 19-year-old punk running a red light in 1992.
I bought another Fleetline panel to replace it in January 1993, and that van is still my daily driver 11 years and 97,000km later!
In total I have owned 21 splitties, though most were parts buses.
At present I own the seven splits and one Beetle listed in my sig line.
Over the past 14 years I've driven a succession of splitties more than 250,000km, including driving the ZebraBus (1975 Fleetline Kombi) from Cape Town, right across Africa, the Middle East, Turkey and Eastern Europe to Germany, 32,000km in 10 months.
I intend to drive a splittie until I die, which I don't plan on doing in a hurry!

"Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus ..."

Last edited by fig on Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought my first VW in 86, first bus in 89.....been riding in them since day 1 in 68.

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Tim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my 67 Westy back in 1988. It just gets better and better...

Annie Dillard

55 Rag Top
67 Westy
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only owned four buses in my life. I still have two of them. The first was a 68 bay window bought in 1978. I had a 62 deluxe hardtop that I had to part out back in 1994 when I moved out west- blew the engine and could not find anyone with an engine to loan or buy- sad story . I bought the 65 deluxe hardtop that I still drive, in 1991. That's thirteen years now. My 57 Kombi has only been in the family for six years a relative newcomer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: