Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Input shaft seal always leaking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr. lang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Input shaft seal always leaking Reply with quote

Patbou wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is from the 1969 workshop manual (probably also mentioned in one of the bentleys):

There was a oil return thread in front of the oil seal added to the new transmission casings. Therefore the grounded surface of the seal was streched about 18.5mm to the front on the shaft. A new transmission housing with the new oil return thread must be paired with the new shaft.

No date mentioned, when this happened.

To me your new one transaxle does look exactly like the 2D drawing in the workshop manual. You can even see the thread in the casing.

From my noob understanding this does almost work like the thread at the pulley. Getting oil past that does then mean excess pressure in the transmission -> ventilation not working ??? (I'm just guessing, no clue about transmissions)
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Input shaft seal always leaking Reply with quote

Hi

Did you ever resolve this issue? My transmissino leaks through the seal. I can see oil ooze between the seal and the shaft.

One thing puzzling me is that the input shaft looks to be about 20mm diameter (I could only get my Vernier gauge on the splines to measure), while the ID of seal is 21mm. It's a Topran 101 944 755 seal that says it's a replacement for 113 311 113A. I have an identical seal to replace it, but if I'm using the wrong seal or this make is just junk there's no point wasting the time.

Has anyone found a seal that reliably seals?

Thanks

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Input shaft seal always leaking Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Did you ever resolve this issue?

Don't know if this could be causing lack of venting which would cause oil to leak. Don't really know how it actually works, either, but see the two little holes in the side cover gaskets? Photo by gears.

Those little holes are supposed to be installed up at the top as they are called vents.
spud72uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Input shaft seal always leaking Reply with quote

Sorry I know that this is an old thread but it seems to be the best one I can find. Did you manage to stop the leak, I have a 5 rib bay box which is leaking badly when hot from the input shaft. Already replaced the seal with a topran seal and still leaks - thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: