Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Overcamming Questions
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Overcamming Questions Reply with quote

looking at dyno figures and engines specs, it looks like we tend to overcam our upper powerband engines. I see cams that are meant to provide useable powerbands to 8000 RPM peaking at 6500-7000 RPM. That tells me that headflow or intake flow was not adequate for the profiles they're matched to.

CB's 2300 cam was paired to their shootout 2332, producing a little over 220HP at 6500 RPM. Based on the Advertised head flow specs of their Ultra Wedges, it appears that the heads were at or nearing their max flow capability. Since the #2300 had another 1500 RPM, that would lead me to believe the 2300 needs much larger heads to be used to its' full capacity.

I've actually seen a lot of dyno figures where engines with FK87s and 89s peak at 7000 max. Is this a known practice to squeeze out all the flow from heads and leave RPM on the table, or are a lot of people choosing the wrong cams?

I've personally seen a sub 2200cc street engine with correctly matched 44 intake Wedgeport heads and FK8 make 210 flywheel horsepower. Then, elsewhere I see 2332s with bigger cams with the same valve size struggle at 200.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the FK40 series seems to have a lot more potential than most give them credit for. The 47 and 48 seem to be only compatible with high-flowing 48+mm intake heads.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seem to have all the answers.
Dougy Dee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it all a bad dream???
I thought CB hurt their cam and swapped in something they got from Jack Sacchette or somone nearby.
An Engle I thought. Not a 110....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dougy, I think that was someone else in the competition. I seem to remember something about that.

Mark, if you'd like to add any helpful opinions, please do. I can't gain anything from your last comment.
Mad Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
you seem to have all the answers.

That is what I really like about you Mark, you know how things work and don't come up with these wild ass theories. Some people way over think everything Rolling Eyes
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you think the top of the useable powerband should be the HP peak?? It doesn't work that way. If your engine makes peak hp at 7k RPM and doesn't fall on its face until 8k, you can say that it pulls to 8k. This is so you can shift past the HP peak, keeping the engine in the fat part of the powerband.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use a 120 and 1.25's with a 010............... typical samba shit, Wait! it must be for a 1641!

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. That's something I can use. I'm still a little confused though. Let's take the Engle W120, for example. If you look at dyno charts with this cam and matched components, it usually peaks at, or near 6000 RPM. I never see engines with 120s peaking at 4500. What's the difference?
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run a 2387 with a Pauter O3E8 10.5 cr that pulls hard up to around 7K on the dyno but I get the the best ET's when shifting at a about 6K. I have found that a dyno chart does not always tell you how powerful your engine really is, or how fast you car will be. There are many many variables. Good Luck and have Fun Wink
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. What are the .050" and lift specs on that 03E8, and where did your power peak?
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
It seems like you think the top of the useable powerband should be the HP peak?? It doesn't work that way. If your engine makes peak hp at 7k RPM and doesn't fall on its face until 8k, you can say that it pulls to 8k. This is so you can shift past the HP peak, keeping the engine in the fat part of the powerband.

Yes, a wide powerband gets it done... peak power at max RPM is just about useless for anything except salt lake racing where acceleration doesn't matter.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Ok. That's something I can use. I'm still a little confused though. Let's take the Engle W120, for example. If you look at dyno charts with this cam and matched components, it usually peaks at, or near 6000 RPM. I never see engines with 120s peaking at 4500. What's the difference?

Peak torque RPM tends to stay put. Raw duration will move it around slightly but peak torque is mainly MCSA of the intake tract and also tuned lengths determine where the bumps are.

What the duration really does is keep it from dropping off after peak torque, it extends the powerband upward. it does not "move" the powerband, it "extends" it.
The engle 120 is said to have a good balance of low end and top end. Peak could be a 5k or 3k. Peak power could be as low as 4500 or as high as 7k, depending on what engine you put that in.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say depending on what engine, do you mean depending on the engine's combination of parts?

I've seen dyno figures where the heads' ports were purposely kept on the small side for that cam, so that the peak power was all in by 5500. I've also seen charts where the power peaked beyond 6000 with more port volume. I would think if a 120's power was all in by 3000 RPM, there would be intake restrictions.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
GTV wrote:

Yes, a wide powerband gets it done... peak power at max RPM is just about useless for anything except salt lake racing where acceleration doesn't matter.

You're right about that. Here's what I was thinking: If camshaft grinder's specs indicate that the powerband will be from 3000-7000, for example, it's up to the builder on how they want to use those specs. The engine, with the right components can wind all the way up, and peak at exactly 7000 or a little beyond, or peak at 5500. It would all be dependant on the way the heads are ported, the valve size, the induction and intake manifolds, the length and size of the exhaust, and other things.

What I don't understand, is if someone ended up peaking at only 5500, why wouldn't they just choose a cam closer to the listed powerband? Example, FK43, FK7, FK8, W120. It seems like a waste of lift and extra tension for nothing.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't all engines combinations of parts?
The engle 120 can be used in any engine with a lifter a little over an inch. It came from a yamaha motorcycle. Put it in a BIG tractor engine and sure you could have peak torque at 3k, and peak power at 5k, while a normal tractor would have a much milder cam, and run into a wall at 4500. it could be a vw, could be a chrysler, might be a type 4. use your imagination! one thing that would seem universal is higher rpm you need gentler ramps, and lower rpm engines would want faster. So there are some cams that would appear to never be the right choice, like a web 86; short duration and slow lift? huh?, or a fk-48, but they have their applications!
For every rule there are plenty of exceptions.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That definitely does make sense, and I never thought about that aspect as far as ramps.
Bajaman65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugguy1967 wrote:
Of course. What are the .050" and lift specs on that 03E8, and where did your power peak?

This is a very fast ramp cam with a very large over the nose area, on the dyno peak HP was at about 6800 and then it was pretty flat to about 7200
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so if you use a 2300 with stock heads Shocked and another motor with comp E's and the same cam..but 2332cc .it will have the same power band Wink gotcha....as long as you use the compatible lifters of coarse in your 1641 super gas motor. just think on how much money Ive spent on stroker shit when I just needed the majickle cam&lifter combo.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
so if you use a 2300 with stock heads Shocked and another motor with comp E's and the same cam..but 2332cc .it will have the same power band Wink gotcha....as long as you use the compatible lifters of coarse in your 1641 super gas motor. just think on how much money Ive spent on stroker shit when I just needed the majickle cam&lifter combo.

Who stated that? Definitely not me. If you read as well as you spell, I can see why you misunderstand.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POWER BAND AND USAGE ARE NOT WRITTEN IN STONE. THERE ARE WAY TOO MANY COMBOS AND THE WAY THERE PUT TOGETHER. descriptions are more like guide lines for the well educated and experienced... buit the numbers listed can be very vauge and not telll a lot about the cam.... and can be like wish list on talking points for the dude at the car/club show that hasent a clue that his combos is crap but has the sound he likes.
there are many cam manufactures that have the same/ very close cam on paper but they react different in the engine....way different. I read pretty good, my spelling is fine as is my understanding of cam/s engines/heads/cr ,etc. You might need a bit of real world experience...or not. as internet exsperts seem to be everywhere and know everything they read weather it is right or rong. dont be leave all you read,dont be disbelieving all you read. dont attribute one thing to the wrong part or combo.and dont decide the reason it's working so well is this 1 part or that one .you really need a reallife full understanding of what is going on and why. I will say Im kinda lost on exzactly what this thread is Shocked
and since you"taking the engle 120" and " matched componets"...WTF?? what are the matched componets?????????????
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: