Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Red light on, what am I missing?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Red light on, what am I missing? Reply with quote

I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Polarized generator and it spun clockwise (viewed from rear)
Grounded DF and tested voltage at D+, 14V at high idle up to 80V at WOT (this seems very high?)

Installed new voltage regulator
Polarized per instructions (in Portuguese) I think: D+ to B+, got a spark

Have 12V at terminal 61 on regulator

Engine running I get 0V at D+, 12.2V at B+ no increase with engine speed

I have no good ideas left, what do you think?

(Want some head and tail lights to drive to Thunderhill to watch LeMons race this weekend, don't dare hook up lights until I get this generating problem sorted out)
vwserphguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had same issue. Do you have a good ground wire from generator to body of vehicle?
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwserphguy wrote:
I had same issue. Do you have a good ground wire from generator to body of vehicle?

Yes, I was hoping that was the problem but it was not.

The 80V on unregulated generator seems high to me, any ideas? I am down to 2 hours on generator swap so I might just try a new one because I am all out of tests and ideas.

Help!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of polarizing a regulator.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Red light on, what am I missing? Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
I must be doing something wrong but I don't know what.

Polarized generator and it spun clockwise (viewed from rear)
Grounded DF and tested voltage at D+, 14V at high idle up to 80V at WOT (this seems very high?)

Installed new voltage regulator
Polarized per instructions (in Portuguese) I think: D+ to B+, got a spark

Have 12V at terminal 61 on regulator

Engine running I get 0V at D+, 12.2V at B+ no increase with engine speed

I have no good ideas left, what do you think?

(Want some head and tail lights to drive to Thunderhill to watch LeMons race this weekend, don't dare hook up lights until I get this generating problem sorted out)

You have some real inconsistencies in your situation.

First, I too, have never heard of 80 volts being produced by a 12v generator. Second, you reported 14v at D+ during your generator test, but reported 0 volts at D+ on the regulator. How is that possible? D+ on the generator is connected directly to D+ on the regulator. If you measure 0 volts on D+ terminal of the regulator while the engine is running and it's connected to the generator, your generator is not producing any voltage. Third, 12.2 volts at B+ tells you no voltage is being sent to the battery from the regulator. You're likely measuring the battery voltage, that's why there is no change with increased rpm.

Finally, this is confusing, "Have 12V at terminal 61 on regulator" because of where you stated it in your post. It appears, because of where you wrote it, that you have 12v at 61 with the engine off. If that's the case, you have a fault. 61 is connected, internally, to D+. If you're getting 12v at 61, you should also get 12v at D+ on the regulator. In both cases, with the engine off, you should not only get 0 volts, but it should be a ground reading as well.

If you can, please clarify your reading at 61 and retest your generator. Report back your results.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Red light on, what am I missing? Reply with quote

olliehank47 wrote:

First, I too, have never heard of 80 volts being produced by a 12v generator. Second, you reported 14v at D+ during your generator test, but reported 0 volts at D+ on the regulator. How is that possible? D+ on the generator is connected directly to D+ on the regulator. If you measure 0 volts on D+ terminal of the regulator while the engine is running and it's connected to the generator, your generator is not producing any voltage. Third, 12.2 volts at B+ tells you no voltage is being sent to the battery from the regulator. You're likely measuring the battery voltage, that's why there is no change with increased rpm.

Finally, this is confusing, "Have 12V at terminal 61 on regulator" because of where you stated it in your post. It appears, because of where you wrote it, that you have 12v at 61 with the engine off. If that's the case, you have a fault. 61 is connected, internally, to D+. If you're getting 12v at 61, you should also get 12v at D+ on the regulator. In both cases, with the engine off, you should not only get 0 volts, but it should be a ground reading as well.

If you can, please clarify your reading at 61 and retest your generator. Report back your results.

12V at terminal 61 with ignition on but engine not running (12V via terminal 15 and idiot light, not 12V from generator)

Wires between generator and regulator disconnected, DF and D- on generator grounded, engine running: at D+ I get 14V at high idle and voltages up to 80V at speed

Wires between generator and regulator connected, engine running: I get 0V at D+ and battery voltage at B+

@Crofty
I think "polarizing the regulator" is really polarizing the generator through the regulator, but I don't read Portuguese

Thanks for the help, but I am still stumped. I am mistrusting the generator, possible it is showing voltage unloaded but not generating under load?
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thoroughly enjoy olliehank47's electrical guidance.... nice trip to electrical school.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Red light on, what am I missing? Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
Wires between generator and regulator disconnected, DF and D- on generator grounded, engine running: at D+ I get 14V at high idle and voltages up to 80V at speed

The generator is putting out but you will fry your field if you try this for too long.
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Red light on, what am I missing? Reply with quote

joe cool wrote:
olliehank47 wrote:

12V at terminal 61 with ignition on but engine not running (12V via terminal 15 and idiot light, not 12V from generator)

Wires between generator and regulator connected, engine running: I get 0V at D+ and battery voltage at B+

@Crofty
I think "polarizing the regulator" is really polarizing the generator through the regulator, but I don't read Portuguese

Thanks for the help, but I am still stumped. I am mistrusting the generator, possible it is showing voltage unloaded but not generating under load?

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, 12v at 61 with the ignition "on" would be correct.

Still, you have 0 volts at D+ with the generator/regulator wired up and engine running. Try one more test. Keep everything connected. Use your meter and, with the engine running, measure the voltage at the D+ terminal of the generator. What do you get? 0 volts? If so, the only change between this test and the other you ran is that DF was grounded to the generator frame when you got 14v, and now DF is being grounded through the regulator--or is it? If the above test shows 0 volts, I'd suspect the voltage regulator.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF post is spinning and wire is loose on inside of generator. That may be the problem. It is going to be a pain to fix without removing and disassembling generator. Will report back when I get it fixed. Thanks for the help.
Brokenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to disassemble the genny but you'll probably need to take it out to solder the wire back on. I've done it, theres a thread or 2 about it. Bet you wont make that mistake again.
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it with the gen installed, and I have only one eye and terrible vision. Not that difficult. Took about 30 mins end to end.
joe cool
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any tips/tricks you can share with me? I was thinking I would try and crimp on a spade or ring terminal then solder, how did you do it?
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the tip of the soldering iron to hold the wire in place, then just touched the solder to it. Luck? Divine intervention? Who knows? I couldn't believe it either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: