Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T6 transporters (Update - False Alarm/Premature T6-ation
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: T6 transporters (Update - False Alarm/Premature T6-ation Reply with quote

I don't think there are any stateside yet but I chased a T6 down the M1 to London yesterday. Pix to come

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Abscate on Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:27 am; edited 2 times in total
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm maybe not. I will post pics but I think I just got excited about a late model T5 which we don't see in States. Oh well...
Itsamoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may have been a T6 afterall. Very Happy

I'm pretty certain that the T6 is a model refresh of the T5 (a second facelift!)-- with cosmetic, engine, and technology upgrades. Akin to long & short nose T4 Eurovan. So from the rear, they look pretty darn close.

Apparently the real all-new van is going to be for 2019/2020.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted pix. If I read the number plate right this car is registered in 2012, so I have to call this a false alarm.

Is it just a heavily modded T5 or is that what they looked like in 2012??
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the T5s I've seen?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know my 2002 T5, so I don't know what the late model ones look like at all
DenverB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's a 2002 and originally bought in north america, it's a t4, not a t5. They never sold t5s here.
'84 Vanagon Westfalia (Pink Flamingo - Pastel White/Pink)
'88 Vanagon GL Westfalia (Frankie Says - Wolfram Gray)
'02 Eurovan Weekender (Green Apple)
'95-'03 Eurovan full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'84 -'91 Vanagon full campers and weekenders (rental fleet)
'72 Porsche 914 (Greta - RIP)

www.RockyMountainCampervans.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...it'srobably time for me to kill this one

Smile
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live over here in Germany, and the T6's are starting to filter into the dealerships now. Haven't seen one on the road yet, but VW sent me a sales brochure, 'cause, well, I DO give them alot of money every few weeks......
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save me one in red please.... Smile
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: T6 transporters (Update - False Alarm/Premature T6-ation Reply with quote

There are now quite a few VW Transporter T6s here in Great Britain, which are far from cheap; especially the motor-caravans from Volkswagen themselves and the various independent motor-caravan converters such as Bilbo's (named after Bilbo Baggins, in J. R. R. Tolkien's book "The Hobbit"), in South Godstone, Surrey, England. I used to pass near their establishment, during the two years I worked in Redhill, Surrey.

https://www.bilbos.com

https://www.bilbos.com/about/history/

https://www.bilbos.com/bilbos-range/

Personally, I don't particularly like driving on the motorways and the M1 out of London going north is one of the busiest.

If one isn't sure about when the nominally SIX generations of VW Transporter were produced, one need look no further than Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Transporter

1 T1 – Type 2 (1950–1967)
2 T2 – Type 2 (1967–1979)
3 T3 – Type 2 (1979–1992)
4 T4 – Transporter (1990–2003)
5 T5 – Transporter (2003–2015)
5.1 2003–2009 (pre facelift)
5.2 2009–2015 (facelift)
6 T6 – Transporter (2016–present)

This listing overlooks the continuation of the T2 in Mexico, Argentina & Brazil after 1979 and the T3 in South Africa after 1992!

The following link will give a bit more information about the VW Transporter T4 & T5 models:

www.automobilio.info/en/Volkswagen/Transporter/

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net

Last edited by NASkeet on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: T6 transporters (Update - False Alarm/Premature T6-ation Reply with quote

Thanks Nigel.

Traffic may be heavy in the UK but your drivers almost universally have a degree of competence that our lack. You have to be extremely defensive minded here due to many forms of distracted driving.

I got passed by a Tesla this week with the driver fast asleep. I hope the T6 manual comes with the first camping instruction....

1 stop car in a safe parking area
2 turn off motor

Etc
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: T6 transporters (Update - False Alarm/Premature T6-ation Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Thanks Nigel.

Traffic may be heavy in the UK but your drivers almost universally have a degree of competence that our lack. You have to be extremely defensive minded here due to many forms of distracted driving.

I got passed by a Tesla this week with the driver fast asleep. I hope the T6 manual comes with the first camping instruction....

1 stop car in a safe parking area
2 turn off motor

Etc

I think most people in Great Britain know what to do when parking a vehicle having manual transmission, whether it be a 2016-onward, VW Transporter T6 motor-caravan or something less exotic. It is generally recommended to park with the manual-transmission in a low gear, with the handbrake on and with the wheels turned towards the kerb such that it will steer towards the kerb in a downhill direction.

Of course, there might be just a few 2016-onward, VW Transporter T6 examples with automatic transmission, but these would mainly be reserved for those who drive in congested urban traffic or those who are physically disabled and would find it difficult or impossible to cope with a clutch-pedal and a six-speed manual transmission; which is no more difficult than four-speed manual transmission in my experience. I think there might even be a seven-speed automatic transmission available these days!

www.vanguide.co.uk/vw-transporter-t6-1-2020-specs-prices

www.vanguide.co.uk/vw-transporter-kombi-review-specs-dimensions

I had heard from one of my British e-mail pen pals (owns a 1971 VW "1600" Type 2 plus other air-cooled VWs) who has lived in California for many years, that the general standard of driving in the USA, left a lot to be desired.

I suspect that part of the problem might lie with the dominance of automatic transmission and too much power-assistance for steering and brakes, etc. Of course mental attitude would also be a major contributor! In Great Britain, the rules of the road encourage us to think, rather than expecting to be told what to do.

One case in point, is the differences between stop signs and give way signs or the difference in procedure between traffic lights and roundabouts; the latter of which are just wonderful. Very Happy Cool

In fact the British TRRL - Transport & Road Research Laboratory who are acknowledged World experts about roundabouts, were able to convince the French (that in itself was a major achievement!) a few decades ago, that it would be much safer for them to adopt the British system of priority (i.e. vehicles already on the roundabout have priority - right of way) rather than continue with the universal French rule for all roads that vehicles (in that left-hand-drive country) coming from one's right, have right of way; even if they are emerging from a minor road, concealed driveway or farmer's field.

Under the old French system, vehicles entering the roundabout had right of way! Back in the 1970s, I had witnessed the mayhem created by the old French system of priority being applied to roundabouts, so I am thankful that the French authorities were sensible enough to recognise the virtues of the superior British way of doing these things and make the necessary changes. Very Happy

Opinions might differ, but Sweden is reckoned to be the safest country in which to drive, followed closely in second place by Great Britain, which has a much higher traffic density.

I have driven in many countries of the World, including some where the drivers are almost completely insane, with little if any regard for road safety! The USA isn't quite as bad as some of the places I have been in Europe, Africa and Asia.

At the end of my final year at secondary school when I was 16 years old, I participated in a pre-driving course, which included a "no holds barred" documentary film, made by the US highway patrol, showing the carnage (including severed limbs, heads etc) that had ensued as a consequence of so-called "motoring accidents" in the USA.

I think it was intended to show us the dire consequences of fatigue, inattention, alcohol & drug intoxication, dangerous driving paractices and a host of other undesirable things. It certainly focused my mind on what I needed to do, to be a safe and responsible driver.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: