Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Velocity stack/air cleaner for Super Stock 34 PICT
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Velocity stack/air cleaner for Super Stock 34 PICT Reply with quote

I understand the benefits of using the stock oil bath cleaner, but want something else. I purchased the Super Stock 34 PICT from aircooled.net and want an air cleaner with a velocity stack. From my searches this is apparently needed. I run K & N on my Harley and like their products. Has anyone adapted a velocity stack to an air filter?
This is an 1835, Engle 100, L3 heads, in a Bug.

Thanks in advance,
David
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what you are looking for. An old school air cleaner base with a built in velocity stack for stock Solex carbs like the 34PICT. I used this with a K&N air filter element.

On a trip to the West Coast in 1976 someone gave me this air cleaner. I used it for many years until I installed a pair of Weber 40 IDFs

I just gave this air cleaner base away to another Samba member.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Scott Novak
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Velocity stack/air cleaner for Super Stock 34 PICT Reply with quote

the stock air filter housing has a 6" stack built into it. Go look.

Several Samba guys have gutted the oil bath and put a cone filter in them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424278

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=518415

are a couple examples to model from.

Don't forget that a less restrictive filter will need more fuel (more main jet), now that's it's not choked.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and both are perfect examples of original air filters that were remote mounted from factory....that show the built in "velocity" stack that is claimed as needed....but isn't.

The claimed build in velocity stack as it is called is there for an air flow guide to get air to flow past the oiled filter media...so it is cleaned...nothing more. Folks have combined old hot rod beliefs of V stacks with stock bug air filters

The ghia and bus and 181 model were all designed incorrectly, if you abide by the bug/velocity stack theory supporters.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:
and both are perfect examples of original air filters that were remote mounted from factory....that show the built in "velocity" stack that is claimed as needed....but isn't.

The claimed build in velocity stack as it is called is there for an air flow guide to get air to flow past the oiled filter media...so it is cleaned...nothing more. Folks have combined old hot rod beliefs of V stacks with stock bug air filters

The ghia and bus and 181 model were all designed incorrectly, if you abide by the bug/velocity stack theory supporters.

You mean that is not a "velocity tunnel" between the bus air cleaner and carb!!!! Golly I was going to lengthen it to get more power, I want to race!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing .

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

air-h2o-air wrote:

If it was remote mounted then doesn't that count as the same thing as what the OP considers a velocity stack?

Lets call it a "low velocity stack", and yes, it has been found to perform better than putting a big filter directly on the carb
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses, I now have some ideas and options.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any tunnel immediately prior to the carb does the purpose of a stack. The stock beetle filter has it too, carefully look (so you don't dump oil all over yourself!).

I haven't seen it done yet on the beetle filters, but I'm sure it can be done. Just post how to pics on Samba!

The only issue I can think of is the beetle/SB filter top is not flat, so you'd have to fab a flat sealing plate that is pushed down from the top of the filter housing, to squeeze the cone filter tight against the plate and bottom. Maybe 4-10 tack welds and that's all that's needed!

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John, I'm cleaning the oil batch system now.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
I agree that the stock air filter becomes a restriction at some point. However, I have done some power tests on the Ghia and bus oil bath filters. It turns out that they do not become a restriction until about 77 hp. At 80 hp there is only 1 hp gained by running the snorkel alone. At 86 hp you can gain 4 hp by running the snorkel alone. These numbers are rather consistent whether you have a higher reving 16-1700 or a slower reving 1900 cc engine. At 90 hp that intake really becomes a challenge for the engine. At that point a free flow filter pays off very well.

X2 on the triangle cut out.

Interesting stack/filter arrangement for the 34 mm Solex. I have never seen that approach before, but I´m sure it can work well.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Fisher's book claims the 4-6" velocity stack (part of the stock design) contains the fuel fog and the car will run poorly without it, especially at high rpms.
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, as I dig further into my box of parts it appears the oil bath system is complete with the thermostat parts. The system is from a 72 Bug. A question I have is how does the system pull warm arm from the breastplate hose with an aftermarket exhaust? Is this possible? I assume the hose connects to a stock exhaust and draws the heat as needed when the thermostat opens.
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hose is connected to a tube that is near the cylinders It's not actually connected to the exhaust or heat exchangers. You just need the stock parts and I believe it will still work with most aftermarket headers.

Scott Novak
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott.
Scott Novak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been awhile, but if I remember correctly the bracket for the tube is held in place by an exhaust nut and the tube goes through a hole in the sheet metal pieces that bolt to the rear of the cylinder head tin. I'm sure someone must have a photo.

Scott Novak
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found my answer and pictures on the forum and will dig deeper into the pile of parts. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: