Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Third brake light
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
My57Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to need a longer, larger diameter bolt......

Shocked

h~moto wrote:
Quote:
I'm considering using the shorter unit and mounting it at the bottom of the back window inside the car

I put a third brake light at the bottom of the back window inside my `66. I used a Hella bumper mounted reverse light. I replaced the clear lens with a reproduction 1957 and older type II brake light lens. Mine is a big window but I think it would work well in an oval. It did not take any drilling or cutting to mount it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

Any other 3rd brake light options out there for 6 volts. I could not find any not listed in here.
Before I go and buy the one from j&l
http://jandlenterprise.com/products/brakelighter.htm
I thought I would check here.
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on the invasive-ness (or not) of wiring job the J & L LED third brake light when mounting it to the inside of the glass on an Oval Beetle and where you taped into the VW harness? Was there an existing hole to pass the wiring thru or did you have to drill the body?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Can anyone comment on the invasive-ness (or not) of wiring job the J & L LED third brake light when mounting it to the inside of the glass on an Oval Beetle and where you taped into the VW harness? Was there an existing hole to pass the wiring thru or did you have to drill the body?

Bill

Think it is as nice option, but would if possible mount it in the engine vent for max stealth when off, or top of the license plate frame. Having it inside where the light will bounce off the inside of the glass and reflect off the windshield on a dark rainy night will not be helpful.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

I see nothing in their ad that says it is for exterior mounting (weather resistant), only that it is for mounting on the inside of the rear window. Perhaps it is not exactly weather-proof.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I see nothing in their ad that says it is for exterior mounting (weather resistant), only that it is for mounting on the inside of the rear window. Perhaps it is not exactly weather-proof.

Bill

I use a brakelighter on my single wheel trailer behind my 6V 1962 beetle. I had to add a trailer flasher converter to make it work with the dual filament 1962 bulbs, but it has held up well for quite a while.

I do wish it were brighter however, it is difficult to see in daylight.
JeffRens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

Installed the Brakelighter on my 56 Oval. Love it! Incredibly bright. I cut a textured piece of plastic and installed it on the lower edge. It blocks most of the internal reflection. As far as the wiring, I left the wire exposed and tucked it in the package tray sill to the right side where I did have to drill a hole to access the engine compartment. From there it's just a short distance to the wire harness under the tar board on the right side of the engine compartment.I could have run that wire under the headliner, but I had just installed the new felt headliner, and really didn't want to disturb it.

Chick Iverson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

I've been running the brakelighter for over three years now. Still works great and highly recommend it. Yes, I drilled a small hole in the luggage wall to run the wiring just as stated above. Works great and is fairly stealth

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

J&L Enterprises has recently updated their website, which has a new address: brakelighter.com. There are several photos in the gallery showing various mounting options on different cars, including VWs (one of which is mine).

I've been running mine for three years now and I totally love it. I feel way safer knowing that people behind me see more than just the tiny heart tail lights when I signal a stop.
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

I recently installed a brakelighter on my 60 beetle.
I wired mine so that the turn signals are connected as well. The way it is designed is that you ground two wires then simply hook one wire to the left turn signal an another to the right turn signal.
When I activate the turn signals the brakelighter is very bright. But when I hit the brake pedal the it is only about half as bright. I am guessing I may not have enough voltage?
Tried a better ground, but did not help, any other ideas?
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

Chick Iverson wrote:
Is that a heart lense for a third light? Great idea!
Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

Bigjacksauto wrote:
I recently installed a brakelighter on my 60 beetle.
I wired mine so that the turn signals are connected as well. The way it is designed is that you ground two wires then simply hook one wire to the left turn signal an another to the right turn signal.
When I activate the turn signals the brakelighter is very bright. But when I hit the brake pedal the it is only about half as bright. I am guessing I may not have enough voltage?
Tried a better ground, but did not help, any other ideas?

I ended up calling Brakelighter The owner was very helpful and said he would send me another if necessary, but we talked through it and he told me that it should be bright with the brake lights. Ended up being the connections at the brake light switch, I was loosing at least one volt. Works great now and I dont have to worry as much about being
hit from behind Smile
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
2067Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

I use the Brakelighter on my 67 and 57 bugs and love the brightness, flexibility to use them as brake lights and blinkers, and the ease of mounting and wiring.
Motorhead55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

On my 1955 European Deluxe, Holland delivery with the heart stop lights, I used a 1967 bug back up light with a '55 bus red lens. To also brighten up the brake lights, I hid a 6 volt load relay behind the passenger engine bay cardboard. I tapped a 6 volt battery source from the Porsche 356 voltage regulator I mounted on the passenger side upper firewall and fused it to the relay. So the brake light switch just closes the relay and the relay load contacts take battery power and to the stop lights.
johnny chingas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

I mounted my vintage STOP light on my roof rack, looks pretty cool when lit up really big and bright.

mbaldwin19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

I am about to install the J&L 12" led light bar in the air intake area with the magnets. ('54 Oval) All about to arrive. Using brackets supplied with the unit,
I will try to mount the magnets with adhesive. Mr. Wood, is that what you did?

I don't expect moving it into place with paint sticks to be easy, but it seems the best way. Any tips on that would be appreciated!
rdwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

I used two small but strong rare earth magnets I removed from two small speakers. I epoxied the magnets into two holders I custom made on a 3D printer for the ends of the light bar. I screwed the ends of the light bar into these holders, the magnets were at the other end of the holder. The holders were short in height and I think you could make them from wood.
mbaldwin19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

Brakelighter is great! Very bright. I bought 1&1/4" magnets from Amazon, used Gorilla double stick tape on the brackets and mounted it in the air intake. Almost invisible when dark, with shrink tubing to hide the colorful wire. Easy install using the paint stick method. Will switch back to heart lens for brake and vertical for running. No question it is the main brake light!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Third brake light Reply with quote

an interesting older solution on a '54 oval field find

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: